ATM WOES

Last evening, i went to withdraw money from a nearby Sbi atm . The atm machine gave an error of some sorts and the transaction was incomplete-no cash was dispensed . I got a receipt stating that zero amount has been withdrawn , But the amount has been debited from my account. The card i used was of DENA bank. So this morning, i went to the sbi branch and told them the story. They have asked me to give a letter in writing to my issuing bank and only they can initiate a process for the refund. I was told that in most cases , the money gets credited back within 7 days but its much better if i report the issue to the issuing bank immediately to speed up the process. Now , i will have to follow up with my bank to sort it out

Wondering , Has this happened to anyone here, or faced a similar situation and how long does it take to get back the money?

Yes, this happened to me multiple times. Most of the time I got a refund ranging within "immediately" to "2 days". Keep the transaction receipt, wait for a couple of days, and then if you have not received your money back you can write as letter.

Happened with me with Bank of Maharashtra. I really needed cash, tried in 4 different ATMs DBS, Dena, Central and Indian Bank.
The systems of my bank were down for that night. All the transactions resulted in failures, but the amount got deducted. However 2 were credited immediately.
Next day went to my bank told what happened, they was a form for the same wrote the details like bank and location of ATM, ATM id not necessary. got the amount in a day.
I asked the manager about such case say I am not in town or whatever, he said the form is just there nut not compulsory and usually the money is credited within 2-3 days.

Also a machine was not able to print the receipt, even then no issues.

Happened once ,got money in 3 days.Keep the receipt handy ,also take its copy(xerox) as the shelf life of its ink is horrible.

Right, even bill prints from bigger malls follow the same route. Had to apply for reimbursement from office on some expense and after 15 days when I took out the bill from my wallet, found the bill copy to be a white paper. Terrible ink. Luckily had taken a scan as well as a photocopy as backups.

Just FYI, if they dont refund the money after 10 days of making a complaint, you will get compensation of 100 INR per day till they refund the money back. Read it somewhere.

This just happened , like this evening ... the power was out, but atms were working. So i went in, started to withdraw it started counting and bam! whole thing crashed all black :p ... i was like Waaaa....!!! it was a 20K .... but thank fully no money was deducted :)

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Appreciate it !! Have reported to the bank, was asked to send a mail with the details, they have said it will be credited within 7 days. No complaint no provided as of now.
Hoping , it gets sorted out quick

Happened to my friend too. Surprisingly happens a lot with Dena bank cards with other banks' ATMs.
I think you have to go to the Dena branch and fill up a form for the credit.

Here is a link which mentions the 10 day refund thing

As per the present regulations, if the amount is debited to your account but not dispensed by the machine, you are entitled to compensation of Rs100 per day of delay, if such amount is not reimbursed to you within 10 days of making a complaint. A similar system of compensation should be awarded for fraudulent withdrawals as well, unless the bank is able to prove the negligence of the customer.

Link : http://www.moneylife.in/article/how-to-improve-customer-service-at-atm-kiosks/37088.html

Back