Are we being cheated daily since a long time??

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Wanted to highlight this a long time ago but forgot until last week some friends experienced similar issue across few petrol pumps during their periodic observations.

It so happened a few months ago we were refueling our bike and observed that the Litre meter starts from either 4 or beyond but not zero.

upload_2018-9-24_17-35-28.png

When we simply asked about this we were replied it was indeed zero and starts fast etc.

Well thereafter we made it a habit of very carefully monitoring this during every refueling across various pumps (hp/bp/io) and shockingly on each of these pumps reading either starts from 4 or 8.

Now this was for Pune city.

Want to know if this is how it is supposed to operate or is it a fair cheating from the pumps across?
When I used to refill in Mumbai I used to get the reading right from 0,1,2,3 etc. This was till last year.

Guys, need to know your experiences in your city/town/village/place across country.

Till now if you only used to bother about ensuring zero before refill, now also care to watch from which digit it starts: 0/ 4/ 8 or something different. Make it a point to note it from now onwards.

Last edited:
Yes, just sometime back they caught a pump that had a device to dispence less fuel in UP using a remote so when testing they could switch it off in a click. he guy said he had sold his device to 250+ of pumps in UP. Same situation in most other states too and govt never takes any action as pumps are mostly owned by politicians and big people.
My car always gives around 1-2 kmpl more from the 1 pump i have found good in gurgaon after trying 8-9 pumps in my city over the last 3 years. Just few days back a video was viral of a pump in my city dispensing less fuel but no action was taken.

Call the legal metrology department and complain, If you think malpractices are going. We stopped doing round figures filling after this was happening.. https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nat...na-dont-buy-petrol-in-multiples-of-rs-50.html

Some Tips:
  • While filling fuel, ensure that the quoted amount is not a round figure i.e. Rs 100, Rs 200, Rs 500, Rs 1,000 Etc.
  • In some pumps, though the fuel filling stops, the meter continues to run. Most clients are busy looking at the meter rather than the spout of the pipe.
  • The meter will show that a certain amount of petrol has been pumped out, but that amount hasn’t reached your tank —it is still in the pipe, and it goes back into the pump.

Call the legal metrology department and complain, If you think malpractices are going. We stopped doing round figures filling after this was happening.. https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nat...na-dont-buy-petrol-in-multiples-of-rs-50.html

Some Tips:
  • While filling fuel, ensure that the quoted amount is not a round figure i.e. Rs 100, Rs 200, Rs 500, Rs 1,000 Etc.
  • In some pumps, though the fuel filling stops, the meter continues to run. Most clients are busy looking at the meter rather than the spout of the pipe.
  • The meter will show that a certain amount of petrol has been pumped out, but that amount hasn’t reached your tank —it is still in the pipe, and it goes back into the pump.
And they will bribe the legal metrology department with free petrol and get away with it :p Bribing is easy AF. If you really take it personally, then take it to courts

Some Tips:
I don't follow how using a non-round figure gets around this problem ? if it is not a round figure surely the same happens also isn't it

This article is confusing

I've heard this shit from people, fill only 110 bucks not 100, but no one can explain it with even common sense forget scientific fact.

On the other hand, i know for a fact that the pump that my old mechanic worked out of would tamper with the analog meters for their benefit, so there's that too...

Analog meters can be tuned but digital tampers that too within eyes of indian oil association is very fishy. I bet this must surely be going on throughout India.

I guess the thinking is instead of the monetary value being a round figure that the volume dispensed be a round figure ? but the article doesn't say that

Meaning the volume is rounded down to get a round monetary amount.

So you would say give me x round number litres or gallons instead of y rupees worth

Not really. They may stop and start again the fuel pump. Best way, IMO is to keep a transparent part so we can see the fuel being pumped...
There is one. The part where the pipe meets the dispenser is always transparent and you can see the fuel being pumped through it. I haven't seen this issue over here in the north where the fuel stops pumping and the meter keeps running.
However, nearly all pumps will run an improperly calibrated meter but the percentage of fuel they steal per customer is very tiny. It helps them due to the sheer number of customers but the effect on the customer will be miniscule.

Back