Are these speeds really true?

I see that with wireless ac, you can get speeds of 300Mbps even at 100 feet as per some reviews. That translates to data transfer of 135GB/hour.

Currently I have been transferring data from a USB 3 drive to a WD My Cloud and the speed is about 30GB per hour WIRED. Agreed this is not a Gigabit router, but still.

If I get a good ac/Gigabit router, will I get speeds like 100GB per hour?

For reference, pic attached.

Attachments

• NEW_asus_ac68u_benchmark.png
    NEW_asus_ac68u_benchmark.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 188
Depends upon the distance from the router and other factors like if there is a water tank or similar stuff is in between.

Also those numbers are typically for american houses which are far more conducive to wifi as they are made of wood.

Concrete walls of Indian homes attenuate wifi signals much more significantly. With a good router and a decent ac 2x2 wifi card, in the same room, you'll get roughly 20-30MB/s which averages around 100GB/hr.

If you need massive throughput consider putting a cat6 cable between the machines or router. I get roughly 80-115MB/s via wired when transferring data between computers.

^^Thanks. My router will be in a central room, with only a single brick wall away from all rooms, except the living room which is 2 walls away. I'll be very happy with 100GB/hour.

Is a Macbook Pro considered to be having a good client receiver?

^^Thanks. My router will be in a central room, with only a single brick wall away from all rooms, except the living room which is 2 walls away. I'll be very happy with 100GB/hour.

Is a Macbook Pro considered to be having a good client receiver?
Depends on the generation. The current gen one has a 2x2 ac receiver.

Note that you need to identify where the bottleneck really lies - meaning the slowest/weakest link in the chain. If router supports 135 GB/hr but you are getting 30 GB/hr it could just be limitation of the USB3 (drive or port itself) or the WD My Cloud device...

Yes, but the My Cloud is supposed to be up to Gigabit speed, and USB 3 is also fast right? So the 10/100 router might be the only bottleneck? Hoping.

To clarify, I am getting 30GB/Hour on my old router which is 10/100. Hoping that a router upgrade would speed things up considerably.

Back