"Are Indians third Class in using Git"

I don't know what this person thinks but I know our India is the best of the best in terms of anything is related and we Indians do not cross our boundary lines due to restrictions and because of that these ppl think we are worse. I am not an expert but I want the experts of this field to show this person what we are capable of as Indians. He has said indians are third class in GIT https://www.indiatoday.in/technolog...-don-t-know-how-to-use-git-1411856-2018-12-18

What do you expect when the entire study base from 1st to college is based on copy paste the textbook learning method?

I blame the people who designed the bad curriculum for schools. Look at the amount of useless stuff children have to learn. All the exam questions and grading is designed to stop kids from thinking out of the box. Why would anyone write an answer differently if they lose marks compared to the point wise answer that is made to give them full marks?
India's teaching system is designed to kill creative thinking imo.

This really bad base in teaching is leading to failure for everyone trying to complete against other countries. Look at sports - a billion people and hardly any medals in any major games.

India's teaching system isn't designed to teach its a factory method of creating like minded bots every year. To create a class of sub servient workers who can take orders with no fire or fight in them just like the colonial masters wanted.

How did this happen. India was always strong on ideas, our ideas particularly religious & philosophical spread far and wide in the region. People came to India to learn. This is thousands of years ago.

The problem is resources. Too many students and not enough schools or teachers means the schools came up with a system that serves their interests and not the student. This is why so many kids have to go to tuition after school because they weren't getting a good deal in school to begin with.

The french guy is talking about the ability of learning to learn. Using that with new stuff. It isn't easy and not many westerners are very good at it either. This is why so many coders come from the east.

Last edited:
I would go so far as to say even the majority passing out of IITs, which are the premier tech institutions in the country don't know sh!t what they should be. There's a whole different argument about learning on the job or from experience, but there's a lot of stuff which should be learnt as basics. But, zilch...

git had the shittiest way of dealing with code. And Linus decided to use a completely different terminology(un-intuitive) for the user interface. so yeah, git is not a gold standard.

As far as his comments; its pretty to see one instance and generalize it to an entire country/culture. in some cases; it draws parallels to racism.

As for as my opinion is concerned; if someone is asking about git commands in an interview; they are looking for sheep and not developers. Long time back; I was giving an interview for a c++ developer and they asked me the parameters for fork system call. when I said I dont know, they started berating me. true story.

I used to be a configuration manager for a CVS codebase. I also did (rather low tech) system admin for Clearcase.

Now I am a programmer who has to use git. I admit I haven't put in much effort but I find git commands cryptic. I am sure there is a logical explanation for suffixes like "^" or "^!" or "~1", but I can't figure it out without RTFM (which I have no interest in right now).

Learing about git is on my todo lists, but it is unlikely to happens before I leave the industry in a few years :)

Last edited:
Leaving the git thing aside, what he said is true for the most part. Having a few bright people here and there doesn't change the fact that majority of the people in this field in India don't cut it at all. Even worse is that till 20 years ago, there were a decent number of those who used to self learn and build their skills, but its no longer the case. The people coming out of the colleges these days can't do jack shit on their own and don't even have the attitude or ability to self learn stuff. Even people with 10 years experience have nothing to their experience that makes them any better than those coming out of college with no experience. While our approach to education is a problem in general, the main problem is that many people get into into field just because its supposed to pay well, and don't give two hoots about learning.

I myself do interviews for senior level technical roles (technical lead, architect etc.) and the last person I cleared for hiring was back in 2013. Still a great asset for the company. I have done over 300-400 interviews since then for various roles and could not find anybody worth hiring. The criteria for me is is not how many languages or frameworks they claim to know, but having fairly strong fundamentals that can help translate problems into code and the ability and drive to learn what they don't know. The candidates who have come to us can't write the basic bubble sort in pseudo code. Even leave that alone, I frequently ask candidates to write a pseudo code to add new entries to a leader board of scores showing the top 10,000 scores. Many failed at something so basic and they have come in for architect roles. Some have the weirdest solution of just adding the entries and doing a quick sort on the entire list. Leave alone the fact that its not a sorting problem at all, they don't realize that sorting a sorted list is the worst case scenario for quick sort.

There are those who questioned me why knowing sorting or searching algorithms is important for the job and I tell that that these are basic problems that someone should be translate into code with just the understanding the problem. I am not asking you to replicate a specific algorithm from memory. People who just mugged up the algorithms for exams will just claim to not remember it. People who have the fundamentals will be able to replicate a basic bubble sort with just the understanding the problem. It is also a fundamental problem where numerous techniques can be used each with differing efficiency for different kinds of input data. These things are important. If you write code that works in principle, but uses 4 nested loops and screws up the performance and requires me to put up 5 servers instead of 1, then you have failed your purpose. Heck, I have had guys tell me that the only way to solve a performance issue in production is to add more servers.

For people with experience, what we expect is that their experience is worth something. A programmer with no experience and one with 10 years can be equal in terms of knowledge and skills and be able to debug and fix a problem. But where experiences becomes meaningful is when that guy goes, this sort of issue is likely caused by such and such thing and cuts short the time to find and fix. If you ask for higher pay because you have 10 years experience, then that experience should have some value. Just to give an example, couple of days back, one of the Web Dev teams came to me with a problem. They are setting a cookie which is not getting picked up in subsequent requests and they could not figure out why. They were apparently at it for last one week without success doing all sorts of things. It took me 5 min to take that outcome of cookie not being sent back to arrive at the root cause that time is not synced in one of the reverse proxy servers. They were really baffled that I reached such an unexpected conclusion and it turned out correct. I had no experience of such an issue at all, but just by coupling knowledge + unrelated experience, I was able figure out the issue. That is why a company would like to pay more for experience, not just because you have been at it for 10 years.

There are numerous times I have been baffled by individuals in this field on how they have procured a job and held on to it for so many years because they are people who will cause more harm than good and they do not have the nature to try and learn.[DOUBLEPOST=1545415220][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was giving an interview for a c++ developer and they asked me the parameters for fork system call. when I said I don't know, they started berating me. true story.

Amazon by any chance? I have a friend who was asked to name recite the skeleton code for a basic Win32 Windows application and name the parameters for all API used like CreateWindow in correct order. Over a telephone round no less. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1545415824][/DOUBLEPOST]Also just to highlight that there was nothing racist about the point he was making. As usual, twisted by the media. It is pretty much inline with my own views

upload_2018-12-21_23-36-35.png

upload_2018-12-21_23-37-8.png

upload_2018-12-21_23-37-37.png

upload_2018-12-21_23-38-46.png

upload_2018-12-21_23-40-10.png

Last edited:
Back