Budget 51-70k Are all laptops sold in India basically outdated? A Rant plus question.

shaunak

Adept
I set out to buy a laptop with some very simple requirements:
* FHD screen
* A 2GB nvidia processor (I do cuda work)
* Support for Wifi AC (5ghz)
My budget is around 60k.

This, I would think is a very modest requirement from a laptop in 2015. Additionally I would love it if the build quality is a little rugged as I am frequently on the road.

I would think that these are very reasonable specs for the budget and after hours of trawling through manufacturer sites and flipkart I have nothing. Not one result.

The closest I got was the lenovo u41 but it had outdated wifi hardware. [Does anybody know if I can upgrade the card later?]

While the same manufacturers meet and exceed these requirements worldwide for the same price, it is incredible hard (impossibly I have found) to meet my requirements here (and we are almost at the end of 2015). Are manufacturers dumping old stock in India at current prices? I don't know about you guys, but I feel a little cheated.

The main reason I am upgrading my laptop is that on my last visit to California, I found most office spaces had switched to the 5ghz wifi (some of the houses I stayed, almost exclusively, with the 2.4 ghz turned off). So support for wifi AC is important to me.

Case and Point:
* http://www.microcenter.com/product/455603/Satellite_S55-C5363_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Brushed_Metal
* http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...5319&NTX=&NTT=&NTK=all&page=1&sortby=pricelow

Corollary: Anybody know a good importer?

Last edited:
Most of the Laptop's Sold in India are sold at a very high profit margin by manufacturer / retailers. That's why you see these imported laptops at lower price point.

Moreover, go visit in any shop in lamington Road, the chances is that they will try to fool you and try to sell a lower speced laptop at close to mrp Price. I once visited a shop in Lamington Rod to buya Laptop and he offered me a very good price, after I agreed he started saying that this laptop is bad and you can't use for more than 50 minutes else it will heat and you can't install cracked softwares in it and things like that. When I persisted with buying same he refused to honor the price.

I agree with all you guys.

The problem remains. Anybody know a good importer / smuggler?
Has anybody tried hopshopgo or ibhejo for laptops?

@bigbyte - I have had that happen to me first hand. My cousin bought a laptop that was sold as i3 only to discover he was taking home a celeron model.
That place is full of cheats, but looks like the "suppliers" are no less.

There are HP Pavilion i5 models coming with 4gb ram , nvidia gfx and Full HD LED screen with preloaded windows being sold for less than 50k. 1 year free warranty extension promo currently going on makes this even sweeter deal. For e.g. check Pavilion 15-031TX.
If you want Full HD with IPS display , 8gb RAM with i5 processor, it will be around 60k, HP Pavilion 15_ab221TX.
Full HD LED screen with i7 processor is around 65k, ( 034TX) and Full HD IPS screen with i7 processor is around 70k (215TX).

I agree that at these prices you can buy a gaming Laptop from Asus/Acer or may be Lenovo.

There are HP Pavilion i5 models coming with 4gb ram , nvidia gfx and Full HD LED screen with preloaded windows being sold for less than 50k. 1 year free warranty extension promo currently going on makes this even sweeter deal. For e.g. check Pavilion 15-031TX.
If you want Full HD with IPS display , 8gb RAM with i5 processor, it will be around 60k, HP Pavilion 15_ab221TX.
Full HD LED screen with i7 processor is around 65k, ( 034TX) and Full HD IPS screen with i7 processor is around 70k (215TX).

I agree that at these prices you can buy a gaming Laptop from Asus/Acer or may be Lenovo.

It is the little things I am worried about:
* wifi ac (5ghz)
* 720p web cam

I agree with all you guys.

The problem remains. Anybody know a good importer / smuggler?
Has anybody tried hopshopgo or ibhejo for laptops?

@bigbyte - I have had that happen to me first hand. My cousin bought a laptop that was sold as i3 only to discover he was taking home a celeron model.
That place is full of cheats, but looks like the "suppliers" are no less.

This almost happened to me last year. We needed to procure 3 laptops for our company, and one of the shops was giving to us an i3 based Dell Vostro at a price others would not match. However, he refused to give me the specs on paper. He kept delaying for some reason or the other. Finally, when I told him no specs or no deal, he agreed to send image on whatsapp. The config was - Intel Core i3 based laptop with 4GB of RAM, etc... When I asked him the exact CPU model # on the phone, he said its an i3 based processor and he does not know the CPU model #- we decided to go ahead with the model number from the Dell website. Afterwards, when I spoke to him on the phone to confirm, he said its a i3 based Celeron. Needless to say, I am now skeptical of all purchases from LR.

I feel the pain look at gaming lapppys
Except for facking alienware selling for a lakh plus nd rog crap at neaby store selling for 80,000 nd not to forget there Are people who buy it (fine)and even bigger
MORONS
WHO BUY
ALIENWARE FOR CRAPPY ALIENFX LEDS(can be achived under 100rs using DIY)

Nd The RED GLOOOOOWING logo of ROG(sells for 200rs on ebay)

I got a Lenovo U4170 about 2 weeks back , fits your requirements . Added advantage its pretty light 1.5kg~ and took me back by 48k. Specs : i5 5th/4GB RAM/1TB+8GB SSHD/2GB 920m NViDIA. Comes with WiFi [5ghz]and backlit and a FHD screen . Preloaded with windows 8.1 SL .

From the specs U4170 is lighter/slimmer and doesn't have opitcal drive or number pad while z51 has a relatively faster graphics card.

Saw this Asus RoG laptop a few days ago. It costs around 69-70k here (prices in my location are higher than in the metro cities), a little high but the specs is very good. i7HQ 2.6GHz+GTX950+FHD. And that "gaming look". Also comes with a global warranty in case you need to go back to the U.S.
Contact the nearest Asus store in your city for more details.
https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/GL552JX/specifications/[DOUBLEPOST=1447263460][/DOUBLEPOST]Also many people simply buy/endorse laptops if they have good specs on paper, while its a personal affair I do not really want to recommend them especially since my last HP laptop went bonkers and the average laptops usually have serious cooling issues after prolong usage.
You should take into consideration the build quality and cooling as well.
If i ever buy a laptop for gaming/graphics-intensive purposes again I'll probably go for the Alienware 15/MSI/Asus.
Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
I got a Lenovo U4170 about 2 weeks back , fits your requirements . Added advantage its pretty light 1.5kg~ and took me back by 48k. Specs : i5 5th/4GB RAM/1TB+8GB SSHD/2GB 920m NViDIA. Comes with WiFi [5ghz]and backlit and a FHD screen . Preloaded with windows 8.1 SL .

How is the The screen quality and Viewing angles ?

Back