iOS Apple denying warranty for ipad pro smart keyboard

I don't use them. But friend of mine (whom I gifted his keyboard) does. And macOS does a lot of things better than windows (atleast for his artistic profession). He completely switched over to apple ecosystem last year and it increased his productivity a lot.

^ accessories like apple keyboard/ trackpad/ airmouse don't appear in this section.

btw apple called and they said they're escalating the issue and will get back to me in few more days -_-
What i undertood is if it isn't in that section then there is no warranty ?

Yet tou are able to prove you bought it and still have one month left

accessories don't appear in this list. The way they authenticate accessories is by seeing the serial number on the product itself. But they print the serial number very small on products (either by mistake or by design). and in case of this smart keyboard, the serial number is printed underside the keyboard and since the keyboard is covered in fabric, the serial number is not clear.

then, the next way is to see the serial number on bill. But in my bill issued by aptronix, there is no serial number. But apple says there should be. and aptronix says it shouldn't be. So apple said it'll contact with aptronix and get back to me. Hope I made this problem clear

But they print the serial number very small on products (either by mistake or by design). and in case of this smart keyboard, the serial number is printed underside the keyboard and since the keyboard is covered in fabric, the serial number is not clear.
Can you post a pic of this serial number. Make sure there is enough light and phone camera is stable. Lets see what is possible with some image manipulation

^ keyboard is with apple service center since past week. Apple india is so disconnected with their ground staff, yesterday when they called me, they said to bring the keyboard back to service center. Then I replied the keyboard is with their service center since past week, they were like "oh, okay then" ...

service center people also had a big glass magnifier to look up serial numbers on products. They used the same when my same friend was getting his apple pencil replaced. but since keyboard is fabric, serial number just rubbed off partially

I don't use them. But friend of mine (whom I gifted his keyboard) does. And macOS does a lot of things better than windows (atleast for his artistic profession). He completely switched over to apple ecosystem last year and it increased his productivity a lot.

I used to work in a film studio (DreamWorks Animation) where every artist had a personal mac of their own. Had spoken to dozens of artists there and elsewhere and till date no one has managed to tell me how their productivity has increased in quantitative terms - what tools does macOS provide that improves their productivity.

The studio was absolutely crazy about improving artist workflow and productivity as each minute saved would help them save hundreds of thousands of dollars. The studio used Linux for everything. I'd gather that if they felt MacOS would help productivity, they'd have shifted completely to Macs and spending insane amounts of money for hardware was routine to them.

I used to work in a film studio (DreamWorks Animation) where every artist had a personal mac of their own. Had spoken to dozens of artists there and elsewhere and till date no one has managed to tell me how their productivity has increased in quantitative terms - what tools does macOS provide that improves their productivity.
Ux, UI and more natural workflows and features. Windows has always been a pain comparatively.

The studio was absolutely crazy about improving artist workflow and productivity as each minute saved would help them save hundreds of thousands of dollars. The studio used Linux for everything. I'd gather that if they felt MacOS would help productivity, they'd have shifted completely to Macs and spending insane amounts of money for hardware was routine to them.
I asked him and he explained. He has imac, macbook pro, windows pc, ipad pro and two cintiq monitors. earlier in windows, the work he does in photoshop will not sync fast enough. and onedrive in windows too doesn't sync fat or reliably enough. plus he had some problems connecting his cintiq monitors to windows pc.

Now ever since he moved his entire setup to macOS, everything syncs up perfectly. airdrop is basically god sent. he can pull up files from his ipad pro to his imac or iphonex. he can sketch few bits in ipad pro and then continue it from imac since photoshop syncs very fast apparently. and he had no problems with his cintiq monitors whereas earlier it used to give few problems on windows. overall his productivity increased a lot due to these small changes

service center people also had a big glass magnifier to look up serial numbers on products. They used the same when my same friend was getting his apple pencil replaced. but since keyboard is fabric, serial number just rubbed off partially
So have they got the serial# or not ?

Tweaking an image can reveal more than trying to figure out things with a magnifying glass. Key word highlighted.

Tweaking an image can reveal more than trying to figure out things with a magnifying glass. Key word highlighted.
Whatever. Even if you find it via some forensic method Apple simply not gonna honor it as they need it on the damn bill printed.
So using magnifying glass etc you dont dare to trace it over those figures as well as it accounts for cheating.

Its alcantara fabric so the serial number is smudged off. and also the serial number is really really small. you have to see it in person to see how small it is. I would have taken a pic if I had the keyboard with me.

got a call from apple yesterday. they said they're still escalating but it will take a long time and if my case is accepted, they will just refund my money because they don't have replacement keyboard stock in india. trillion dollar company everybody.

I asked him and he explained. He has imac, macbook pro, windows pc, ipad pro and two cintiq monitors. earlier in windows, the work he does in photoshop will not sync fast enough. and onedrive in windows too doesn't sync fat or reliably enough. plus he had some problems connecting his cintiq monitors to windows pc.

He's comparing two completely different things. Onedrive is a cloud based solution while airdrop works on lan. Obviously onedrive will be slower. The problem here is his ipad pro not supporting any other medium of transfer other than airdrop not Windows. This is as contrived an example as it gets.

He's comparing two completely different things. Onedrive is a cloud based solution while airdrop works on lan. Obviously onedrive will be slower. The problem here is his ipad pro not supporting any other medium of transfer other than airdrop not Windows. This is as contrived an example as it gets.
It isn't.. As an end user, it doesn't really matter to me what path data takes as long as it happens transparently and my work gets done.. isn't it?

As an end user with less time to tweak, I find the way OS X, iOS , watchOS and TVOS interplay with each other as practical extensions of the same central computing entity is absolutely brilliant
I seriously find it hard to use any other OS now

It isn't.. As an end user, it doesn't really matter to me what path data takes as long as it happens transparently and my work gets done.. isn't it?

As an end user with less time to tweak, I find the way OS X, iOS , watchOS and TVOS interplay with each other as practical extensions of the same central computing entity is absolutely brilliant

MacOS or iOS doesn't allow seamless sharing with Windows. Why should Microsoft bother with the reverse? If all your devices are windows, it works the same way too with shared folders.

MacOS or iOS doesn't allow seamless sharing with Windows. Why should Microsoft bother with the reverse? If all your devices are windows, it works the same way too with shared folders.
Shared folders is far from seamless - In any case shared folders work across platforms

Windows doesn't allow true seamless sharing with other windows devices either :p .. or for that matter any other device :)

Its alcantara fabric so the serial number is smudged off. and also the serial number is really really small. you have to see it in person to see how small it is. I would have taken a pic if I had the keyboard with me.

got a call from apple yesterday. they said they're still escalating but it will take a long time and if my case is accepted, they will just refund my money because they don't have replacement keyboard stock in india. trillion dollar company everybody.
I'm not understanding some basics here. It's an apple product is it not. You have a bill that proves you bought it on a certain date and your warranty is still valid.

Why is there this requirement of serial# in the first place ?

Yes, i can see its quite small

No software utility that can query this number if the keyboard is plugged in ? to rely on some printed number and expecting it to be legible after a period of time is unrealistic.

This isn't apple you're dealing with btw its some 3rd party service centre contracted to do warranty for apple

Last edited:
I'm not understanding some basics here. It's an apple product is it not. You have a bill that proves you bought it on a certain date and your warranty is still valid.

Why is there this requirement of serial# in the first place ?

Yes, i can see its quite small

No software utility that can query this number if the keyboard is plugged in ? to rely on some printed number and expecting it to be legible after a period of time is unrealistic.

This isn't apple you're dealing it btw its some 3rd party service centre contracted to do warranty for apple
Thats the thing man, its ****ing frustrating. They need serial number of keyboard no matter what. Usually serial number is printed on keyboard. Thats gone. Next they could have checked it in software but as keyboard is malfunctioning, it isn't connecting to ipad pro. So that route is gone too. Third option is serial number on bill. But thats where the whole point comes here. Apple says there is serial number on bill. aptronix says there isn't. Even though my purchase is recorded on aptronix database (which is the biggest reseller in hyderabad since many years, not some random 3rd party fly by night shop)

and apple india themselves called and said keyboard replacements are not available, so another one should come from US so it'll take time.

Last time they delayed my friends' apple pencil replacement by few months, he couldn't postpone his work so he bought another one and now he has two pencils. seems like apple wants him to do the same for keyboard also. also in the link you shared, ipad smart keyboard isn't present. just google ipad smart keyboard and see the fabric covering it. if you have used surface pro, you might have seen the fading of fabric ear trackpad. thats what happened here

Last edited:
He needs procreate app and photoshop to sync asap. That isn't happening in windows but happening in macOS. Infact procreate isn't even available on windows. So he converted his entire ecosystem to mac. he doesn't really matter as long as his work isn't impacted and windows is a mess for him at its present state

basically this. most people don't give a **** if they're work is getting done in least possible time with least resistance

^^ Which is the exact reason I avoid Mac's like the plague. Mac OS is a hindrance to productivity. Have seen it in the 7 years that I was actively working as a Mac first developer at my last work place and I see it everyday at my work even now. There are a few people (outside of the Mac OS/iOS developer teams) who are still on Mac's and I see them spending significant chunks of their time dealing with the OS/Machine issues as part of their work. 3 or 4 reboots due to issues is a daily routine for all of them. No so for people on Windows and Linux. The people in Mac OS/iOS Dev teams also have to deal with similar problems, but they have no other choice.

There was a marketing guy at our work who had not shutdown or rebooted his Windows 7 system for last 2.5 years and complained about our client software running slow. When I looked at this system, he had Firefox open with a zillion tabs open and was eating up CPU. I closed Firefox and half expected that I would need to reboot the system as well, but everything was fine after just closing Firefox.

Back