Audio Anyone here who heavily disliked the AT-M40X?

I'm sure there are many as that is considered the one with the flattest frequency response of the ath-m models. So it depends on what you are looking for. To gauge relative sonic differences, - (Start at 1:29) -

Yeah, I don't give much a damn about all those technical charts, and I sure as heck don't want to buy something based on those Head Fi nerds.

I simply asked because I bought it, hated the sound, returned it, and now I am planning to make a new purchase. I use a Sony V55, which I absolutely love (I would have used the word adore only if these were a little more comfortable), but it is broken in different places, so was forced to buy something, was aiming for the M50X, someone in Head Fi said, its a bass heavy headphone, M40X would be better, but I absolutely loathed how it sounded, muffled, confined, dull, whatever adjective you want to use. That's why I thought I need to change my approach of asking, need to find someone who didn't like the M40X like me.

Anyway, buying the DT700 Pro, at least that is the decision so far, don't know, I am scared anyway. Finding the headphone according to my choice couldn't be any more tough!

If you want something clean, accurate sounding get an AT MSR7. It has a completely different sound signature to M50x.

I'm a sucker for accuracy and I love it. I also have a DT 880 premium and an HD600 and to be honest, I prefer this AT over all of them.

The MSR7 loves tubes though. With solid state, it might be a bit cold, sterile sounding.

Well sorry I'm not sure whether I would like to buy another AT.

M40X was supposed to be clean, I heard how clean it was. Maybe I want something unclean, fun...

Well sorry I'm not sure whether I would like to buy another AT.

M40X was supposed to be clean, I heard how clean it was. Maybe I want something unclean, fun...

The M series are meant to be used for studio monitoring purposes which is why they sound neutral, I personally love my M50's because they are pretty much the best headphones for electronic music along with the DT770 and HD-25 II. The DT770 is a notch above the M50's in all aspects but I recommend getting either the HD598 or the DT990 pro. They are both extremely comfy, have a warmer sound signature and don't have the aspects that you disliked with the M40x, they are great general purpose headphones.
Please keep in mind that they are both open backed.

I know, first of all I won't buy open back, and then again the DT990 isn't really in my budget.

I'm still eyeing the 770, but sometimes I am getting scared whether it'll be not my cup of tea and wondering whether I should just go for the Sony 7506.

I have never been in a more difficult situation, had no idea buying headphones is so difficult!

Yea too bad we don't have shops like Jaben here, I'd never buy one without auditioning especially when you're spending upwards of 5k.
You should get something that you've already used earlier just to be safe or you can drop a message to the guys at headphonezone.in, they can suggest you a pair depending on your requirements and budget.

Yeah, I don't give much a damn about all those technical charts, and I sure as heck don't want to buy something based on those Head Fi nerds.

I simply asked because I bought it, hated the sound, returned it, and now I am planning to make a new purchase. I use a Sony V55, which I absolutely love (I would have used the word adore only if these were a little more comfortable), but it is broken in different places, so was forced to buy something, was aiming for the M50X, someone in Head Fi said, its a bass heavy headphone, M40X would be better, but I absolutely loathed how it sounded, muffled, confined, dull, whatever adjective you want to use. That's why I thought I need to change my approach of asking, need to find someone who didn't like the M40X like me.

Anyway, buying the DT700 Pro, at least that is the decision so far, don't know, I am scared anyway. Finding the headphone according to my choice couldn't be any more tough!

When someone on HeadFi says that the M50x is bass heavy, it doesn't mean that the M50x is outright bass heavy. The M50x adds approx. 5db of bass in comparison to the more neutral M40x. That might seem like a lot to a long-time HeadFi member slash audiophile but in reality isn't much to someone who is just beginning to learn.

The V-MODA Crossfade LP2 sounds more like your kind of headphones. However, if you don't care about detail and are looking for something that is a jack-of-all trades then try the HyperX Cloud II.

Last edited:
Thanks Sid.

Well I want detailed sound, obviously, why would I not want detailed sound? Anyway, I asked Headphonezone for suggestion like someone said above, and LOL, they indeed suggested me the V Moda CF LP2! But I am sorry to say, I will not buy a V Moda, I don't even think they have made any quality product! As much as I would like a headphone with detailed, crisp sound, I will never go for these new companies, its either a reputed brand or nothing. If I were a Beats or V Moda kind of person then I would not be wasting time asking for suggestions, rather just have it bought.

Anyway, so much for Headphonezone's suggestion, I am going for the DT 770 Pro, 32 ohm version, I am done with extended search, it has been over a month now I am looking for a headphone! God damn it, Sony should just have made a successor of V55.

V-Moda have some great headphones in their catalog especially the M series, it's unfair to put them in the same league as Beats.
Anyways don't buy the DT770 w/o auditioning, otherwise we can surely expect "Anyone here who extremely disliked the DT770 thread" here soon.

V-Moda have some great headphones in their catalog especially the M series, it's unfair to put them in the same league as Beats.
Anyways don't buy the DT770 w/o auditioning, otherwise we can surely expect "Anyone here who extremely disliked the DT770 thread" here soon.
True, that could happen, the topic I mean, I can't possibly think of any way to audition them anyway.

if u didnt like the m40x .. chances r ur not gonna like the dt 770 aswell. they r both very different but since u like the v55 i dont think ur looking at the most accurate headphones out there, rather i think ur just looking at a headphone that will make u enjoy the music without really looking for the micro details...please stay away from all V-moda's (not worth the price at all) (m50x blows most of them away with a good small dac/amp combo) what i would suggest for u is the ultrasone 780 / sennheiser hd25 1-II (i own these, and i got the aluminiums after that) / hd 280 pro, great cans (needs a small amp to shine) / JVC HA-SZ2000 / THE MSR7 as Chaos suggest is really nice.. and a step up from the M lineup...

as a thumb rule for audio.. i hope ur feeding them the best quality audio files u have, most mid to high end headphones will sound crap with crap files. also try and get a good dac + amp combo or a good dac atleast. depending on what type of use u have. u haveto choose a can.. im sorry but audio is all about trial and error, we all have been burnt .. be thankful u had a option to return the can for a fulll refund.. ive had 1200$ custom iems that i have hated and sold them for a loss. its a learning process that will require alot of patience.. lol so dont give up yet. :D

if u didnt like the m40x .. chances r ur not gonna like the dt 770 aswell. they r both very different but since u like the v55 i dont think ur looking at the most accurate headphones out there, rather i think ur just looking at a headphone that will make u enjoy the music without really looking for the micro details...
Well yes sir, absolutely, I am not looking for accurate headphones at all. You're bang on, I want something which will present me an overall enjoyable music/audio experience, like the V55 does (did).

I was going for the V6 you know, the 7506, for some reasons DT770 kept confusing me mentally. Thought just get the 7506, as it is another DJ type headphone with V labelling, LOL, just shooting in dark, and save a lot of money.

Then I found another Sony, 100AAP, was reading reviews and people find it good it seems but then again no surety that it is anything like the V55's sound signature.

And thanks a lot for those recommendations. But unfortunately I don't want to spend that much for the Ultrasone or the JVC, but the 280 Pro is damn cheap, heck for some time I was actually thinking about getting the 380 Pro, but then saw no relevant connection of that with the V55, so skipped, so both of them could be considered and well inside my budget.

Don't worry about V Moda, I would have never purchased a fashion brand.

ur not gonna like the v6 and the 7506 aswell, they r for monitoring and are pretty flat in the freq response .. Ive used the 7506 in the past.. what u need is to get something from the sony xb lineup OR even the new bluetooth headphone the 950 is really nice for a fun sounding pair. u can also look at the 280 or 380 pro .. the 280 i really like for the price. a amp really makes it come alive. ... anything higher and u better try it before u buy i say... join the headphone zone fb page and go to the city where they have the next meet.

ur not gonna like the v6 and the 7506 aswell, they r for monitoring and are pretty flat in the freq response .. Ive used the 7506 in the past.. what u need is to get something from the sony xb lineup OR even the new bluetooth headphone the 950 is really nice for a fun sounding pair. u can also look at the 280 or 380 pro .. the 280 i really like for the price. a amp really makes it come alive. ... anything higher and u better try it before u buy i say... join the headphone zone fb page and go to the city where they have the next meet.
XB series? LOL. God no! I used the XB300 for a lengthy 2 years, and then I got the V55, only then I realised how pathetic the XB300 sounded. Then I bought an XB90EX as well, hated it equally. XB series is absolutely worthless bro, I don't think they have any sound, just overpowering bass and a little of other something just to make sure those can be called headphones :p The M40X was significantly better than XB300, that I can surely say! It was just not as bright as the V55, that's all.

I don't think you're getting what kind of sound I love. Anyway, I have failed to let anyone understand what type of sound signature I'm looking at! But thanks to you all the same mate.

u need to spend double the amount to "hear" any noticeable difference if u want a "jump" in sound quality, also what you have heard is all low end xb series, some of their high end XB cans have a proper following, I dont know how to help you anymore, something low end u dont like the sound of, something mid end u dont want to spend.. lol so what i think u would like.. u make a joke off .. what ur using is a dhobi ka kutta in the sony lineup lol ... so i suggest u save up and more importantly hear the headphones the next time u buy them.

edit - I've realized you are gonna contradict this post aswell. hahaha im done here!

Last edited:
u need to spend double the amount to "hear" any noticeable difference if u want a "jump" in sound quality, also what you have heard is all low end xb series, some of their high end XB cans have a proper following, I dont know how to help you anymore, something low end u dont like the sound of, something mid end u dont want to spend.. lol so what i think u would like.. u make a joke off .. what ur using is a dhobi ka kutta in the sony lineup lol ... so i suggest u save up and more importantly hear the headphones the next time u buy them.

edit - I've realized you are gonna contradict this post aswell. hahaha im done here!
No, I don't need double amount of time to judge sound quality. More or less anyone will agree that XB series' sound sucks, and that's the only way to look at it. XB90EX wasn't particularly cheap for an IEM!

No, you tried to help, I thank you for that, don't know why you mentioned all the contradiction part at the end, anyway, whatever...

Back