Anyone has a sony E-Book reader?

techie_007

Skilled
Ok, so I am thinking of getting myself one of these. Thing is, anyone here got one of these? Looking for feedback etc :)

The PRS-500/505/700?

techie_007 said:
Ok, so I am thinking of getting myself one of these. Thing is, anyone here got one of these? Looking for feedback etc :)

The PRS-500/505/700?

I have a PRS 505 reader. It is excellent. Highly recommended. Let me know if you have any questions.

I used one for a couple of months. Eventually sold it off to finance my speaker purchase ( which I have sold off as well :ashamed: )

If you are the type who's likely to carry around a book everywhere, then this would be awesome for you. I however felt that for the asking price, it should have some basic functions we would expect from an electronic device, e.g. - search. And the lack of backlighting started to irk me soon. This is a shortcoming of e-ink tech itself, I hope they find a solution for it soon.

Nowadays, I read on my phone. The small screen is just a small disadvantage compared to the sheer handiness. I've read lotr, discworld, potter, poirot and so many more while travelling in train everyday. Using the sony would not have been possible due to lack of space :p Have just started with wheel of time. Advantage of a phone is that I can catch a few chapters in office as well, and no one knows better :eek:hyeah:.

1. @nukeu666: Other way around actually. 505 better than 500. The 700 is the new one with a light n touchscreen but the screen isnt that good in sensitivity etc + it lowers contrast so some ppl still like the 505.

2. @ zhops: I have read digital books a lot too :) On Pc, then my k508i /k750/k790/creative zen vision W (480X272).

Point is, is the eink thing that much better than backlit LCDs? Ignore the light thing, I get that point, but i ll probably get a clip on light to go with it. + no strain on eyes I guess, which is 1 thing with LCDs. + the 6" screen sounds real sweet.

Point is that I already have a huge library so getting stuff is not a problem. WHich model did u have? From where? How much? How much sold for? :p

I had the PRS 500. Got it from the states for $300. If you don't mind the lack of backlight, then it is an awesome device. e-ink looks just like paper. Absolutely no strain on the eyes. 6" screen means a regular paperback page fits properly, plus you can adjust text size as you want.

eink stuff lasts months on a single charge so thats a big plus

yes, i knew the older version was reccomended, didnt know the model number....505 it is

1. @zhops: Thanks. So I guess the 505 sounds good then :) Only problem is getting the money to get it now ;) But the good part is that its only a 1 time buy.

Hows the build quality/cover etc? I am just thinking whether its worth spending extra to get the accidental plans etc that sony sells. They are like 1/2/3/4 yr plans available :p

Depends on how solidly built it is I guess.

2. @nukeu: Exactly :)

3. @McAgnel: TO each his own. The E-Ink displays will continue to rule since:

a. The look/experience is supposed to be much better than an LCD screen. + no eye-strain

b. Battery life. If you use a phone screen continously, it ll drain pretty quick, not to mention the screen is much smaller in size (+ so text sizes vs amount of content tradeoff).

The E-Ink ones use power ONLY when they refresh a page. Sony says around 7000 page turns per charge :O That has to last me a couple of weeks :p

techie_007 said:
3. @McAgnel: TO each his own. The E-Ink displays will continue to rule since:
a. The look/experience is supposed to be much better than an LCD screen. + no eye-strain
b. Battery life. If you use a phone screen continously, it ll drain pretty quick, not to mention the screen is much smaller in size (+ so text sizes vs amount of content tradeoff).
The E-Ink ones use power ONLY when they refresh a page. Sony says around 7000 page turns per charge :O That has to last me a couple of weeks :p

Argh! That makes sense.

But imagine, I want to carry
1. my laptop to check emails and chat
2. ipod to listent to music
3. my phone to make calls
4. my ebook reader

:mad: :mad:

I've got a 4-in-1 device :D I'd prefer that.
But for someone who is okay to read using that reader it does make sense ;)

McAgnel said:
Argh! That makes sense.

But imagine, I want to carry
1. my laptop to check emails and chat
2. ipod to listent to music
3. my phone to make calls
4. my ebook reader

:mad: :mad:

I've got a 4-in-1 device :D I'd prefer that.
But for someone who is okay to read using that reader it does make sense ;)

Use a phone for 1,2 and 3 :p

@Techie, built quality was superb. No complaints at all.

zhopudey said:
Use a phone for 1,2 and 3 :p

@Techie, built quality was superb. No complaints at all.

cool. If the build quality is that good do you think I need any of those accidental plans? Just asking your opinion, since you have had a hands on with hte quality/risk etc so to speak :) I checked out ur review, but couldnt view any pics. ANy chance u got copies u can upload? :) I particularly want to see different text sizes in play.

@nukeu: I usually take watever format the book is in :p Else lit/pdfs are good. For my creative zen I use a tool that comes for the psp that actually takes text size/font/color etc and converts any doc file etc to a series of jpgs in the correct res :p Just put them on the player and keep flipping.

Still LCDs do cause some strain on ht eeyes etc.

So this will be a good investment I guess, especially considering that I love reading. :)

Technically, I could read on my phone on the go, but when I am traveling (and which is when I really get the time to read), the last thing I want is to run out of juice (which 'd run out pretty fast while reading since the backlight is continuously on)

Of course, if this is meant to be used for your daily short haul commute where (and if) you have the luxury of being chauffeured , then a phone would possibly suffice

superczar said:
Technically, I could read on my phone on the go, but when I am traveling (and which is when I really get the time to read), the last thing I want is to run out of juice (which 'd run out pretty fast while reading since the backlight is continuously on)

Of course, if this is meant to be used for your daily short haul commute where (and if) you have the luxury of being chauffeured , then a phone would possibly suffice

ya, battery life stops continuous reading. And I plan it for regular reading, not only commuting. Not gonna spend 270$ for a commute ;)

Back