All OS Anybody using Airtel 4G on an iPad?

ahd

Adept
Hi,
I got a 4G Sim yesterday from the Airtel Gallery (Powai, Mumbai) and the person said that it'll be activated immediately. Anyway, I inserted in my iPad Air 1st Gen and I started getting 3G instead of 4G. I tried restarting, tried with different APN settings and so on to no avail. I then inserted the sim in a Oneplus One as well as in an iPhone 6 and both picked up 4G LTE signal after a restart (Speeds of 28-30 Mbits D / 3-5 Mbits U for the curious)

So does the iPad requires any custom settings for the 4G to work? (Btw, I have enabled the LTE settings)

Could it be possible that the iPad doesn't "know about" 4G and even though you are actually getting 4G link it is just displaying a 3G icon? Try running a speedtest on both your phones and the iPad to compare speeds?[DOUBLEPOST=1432468677][/DOUBLEPOST]Ah, I see the Air is supposed to have many LTE bands, but maybe it just doesn't have one that is compatible with the Airtel 4G signal.

Did speed tests too, I am getting typical 3G speeds on the iPad but at the same spot OPO and iPhone 6 are at speeds of 28-30 Mbits![DOUBLEPOST=1432468937][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes, I read somewhere that iPad air sold in india is not compatible with the band that Airtel 4G supports. But nothing official from Airtel. If that was the case, Airtel should have mentioned on their website!

Still no LTE on my iPad Air. Airtel Gallery is unable to help too. But I checked at Airtel and saw their iPad Air Gen 2 working fine on LTE connection.

Still no LTE on my iPad Air. Airtel Gallery is unable to help too. But I checked at Airtel and saw their iPad Air Gen 2 working fine on LTE connection.

Can you post Model of iPad from Settings > General > About ?

Google baba gives info that LTE bands of iPad Air are not compatible with FailTel's 4G.

EDIT:
Supported LTE Bands -> 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26

AirTel LTE Band -> 40

It's not working on my friend's S5 either and it was working on iPad Air 2 cause it supports all the LTE bands (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 38, 39, 40, 41) Airtel either owns only the 2300 Mhz band (40) in Mumbai or might be in the process of expanding to other bands soon. In either case, looks like many won't be able to enjoy 4G here for a while.

Got both an Ipad Air 2 and an Iphone 5c in Bangalore on 4G. The phone gets 4g network in a lot more locations than the tablet does. I think it needs a much stronger signal to get LTE.

i live in gurgaon and I m using iPad Air with airtel 4g sim. iPad Air is limited to band 1 to 26 of LTE but it is working in some airtel sim. Like I have 2 airtel 4g sim. The 3g to 4g migrated sim is working fine on LTE but new airtel 4g sim not working on 4g it shows 3G .contacted airtel they are lookin into this...top speed 22mbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rakesh9529 you mean to say the the sim which you migrated from 3G is working but not on the new 4G sim which we are getting from Airtel? Well, I did the same thing. I had a 3G sim too but they gave me an altogether new 4G Sim replacing the old one. So what you mean to say is, if I can get 4G activated on a 3G SIM it could work ?

The iPad 4G supports only 700MHz and 2100MHz bands for LTE while Indian 4G LTE networks will run on the 2300 MHz band. However, the iPad 4G is backwards compatible, which means it will run on our current 3G networks just like the iPad 2.

Airtel is providing 4G on various band depending on availability.
IPad Air (1) does not support 2300 MHz.
But it does support 1800 MHz which is also being used by airtel in some regions (not circles)

I am attaching a screen shot. iPad air (1) with Airtel sim. New Delhi.

As rightly pointed out by @aka911, in recently concluded spectrum Auction, Airtel Won Liberalised spectrum in 1800mhz band in few circles. The liberalised spectrum entails the operator to offer any kind of service on the it. The ecosystem for 1800mhz is more developed for 4G services and Airtel has started offering 4G services on 1800Mhz band in select regions where it has liberalised spectrum in 1800mhz band.

Back