Windows Any way to stop this Windows process from hogging all my bandwidth?

6pack

ex-Mod
Process is Dosvc. Everyday or almost everyday, 1-2 minutes after startup, this stupid windows process will start downloading some stuff at full network speed and wont even allow me or other connected devices on router to get some usable bandwidth. It hogs everything, even makes computer respond slow. I feel like killing it from task manager. A google search shows its Windows delivery optimization process and I hate it now. Is there some bandwidth qos type of tool to stop it from getting more than 50KBps internet? I have 2Mbps only and this keeps downloading stuff for 10-15 minutes once it starts and does not even allow to brose stuff. Just opening TE and posting this was a pain.

Why MS employees think every country has 1Gbps internet? Dumb coders.

netstatss.png

**** this windows, I feel like wiping it out completely and shifting to Linux. Some stupid problem or the other where nosy MS feels its the boss.[DOUBLEPOST=1487831066][/DOUBLEPOST]After some more googling i ended up enabling QoS in my router.
Code:
Speed limit: 1Mbps
Priority    App Name    Port Range    Protocol
Low	     DoSvc	1 - 65535      TCP+UDP

I hope it works.

Last edited:
Look in Win10 settings app, somewhere in the Windows Update section where the options something like "Get updates from other PCs on the internet" and "other PCs on local network" - disable that and see if that makes a difference?

(I think "delivery optimisation" relates to this area)

The remote address was of US servers in 300+ port range. And the local computer ports opened were in the 50000+ range. So I put full port range to stop the madness.

I did that long ago. But somehow Anniversary update was delivered to my comp @4MBps speeds. Maybe some backdoor is there to pull updates at mind blowing speeds through connected servers or something. Its possible if every machine in between is a windows server.

choose.PNG

Process is Dosvc. Everyday or almost everyday, 1-2 minutes after startup, this stupid windows process will start downloading some stuff at full network speed and wont even allow me or other connected devices on router to get some usable bandwidth. It hogs everything, even makes computer respond slow. I feel like killing it from task manager. A google search shows its Windows delivery optimization process and I hate it now. Is there some bandwidth qos type of tool to stop it from getting more than 50KBps internet? I have 2Mbps only and this keeps downloading stuff for 10-15 minutes once it starts and does not even allow to brose stuff. Just opening TE and posting this was a pain.

Why MS employees think every country has 1Gbps internet? Dumb coders.

View attachment 69193

**** this windows, I feel like wiping it out completely and shifting to Linux. Some stupid problem or the other where nosy MS feels its the boss.[DOUBLEPOST=1487831066][/DOUBLEPOST]After some more googling i ended up enabling QoS in my router.
Code:
Speed limit: 1Mbps
Priority    App Name    Port Range    Protocol
Low         DoSvc    1 - 65535      TCP+UDP

I hope it works.

check this video of ThioJoe at 1:44 timestamp, he shows how to disable services

i hope it helps :)

@Serious Sam, thanks for the link. I usually try not to mess with windows internals, because we forget about what we messed with after a month or so. Then we start cribbing when something goes wrong. Its happened to me. I added ip addresses to hosts file and forgot about it. When the ip address changed and i started getting errors to check dns etc, I didnt know what was happening so i asked my isp and they said everything was fine from their side. Finally when i was troubleshooting my comp i remembered i had done something in hosts and deleted all the ip addresses i had put in it to speed up browsing.

@logistopath, Its new service from windows 8 .1 i think. I went 1 step further actually. Instead of messing in the comp, i just limited speeds in the router itself. So windows can try all the tricks it knows and it will still be limited to 1Mbps speeds.

It (QoS in router) didn't work. It (DoSvc) downloaded at full speed today again. Checked the router settings again and saw that the QoS only applies for upstream bandwidth. :smacks head:
I'm stupid to not notice it first. Stupid linksys router does not have downstream QoS settings.

It (QoS in router) didn't work. It (DoSvc) downloaded at full speed today again. Checked the router settings again and saw that the QoS only applies for upstream bandwidth. :smacks head:
I'm stupid to not notice it first. Stupid linksys router does not have downstream QoS settings.

My feeling was that it would not work, but not for the reason you specified.

I thought it identifies the app name via UPnP ? Maybe try another similar name like adding the " .exe " so it's like "DoSvc.exe" or whatever is the real executable filename?

I thought it identifies the app name via UPnP ? Maybe try another similar name like adding the " .exe " so it's like "DoSvc.exe" or whatever is the real executable filename?

That is for applications that are UPnP aware, and secondly, the process name is not the exe name - it can be anything. Plex says Plex Media Server while utorrent says uTorrent TCP something.

Back