Any NetGear Nighthawk R7000 users here? Need help with DD-WRT

avi

Skilled
I want to flash DD WRT to NetGear Nighthawk R7000. It;s currently on stock firmware (V1.0.4.28_1.1.64).

First, NetGear has a opensource portal, there they have listed DD WRT Firmware downloads, but some lists do not have version numbers: http://myopenrouter.com/download?field_download_category_tid=3

The latest seems the one on "Monday, March 16, 2015" but the title mentions Dec 2014: DD-WRT Support Release Firmware for R7000 Routers 15-Dec-2014

Then I read these are by 'Kong' and main builds on DD WRT are by Slayer.

---

So the latest one is 26866, however looks like it has some problem with R7000. Check this (ctrl+f for R7000)

earlier build is 26854, but got no feedback on R7000.

Earlier to this is 26839, but feedback is not that great

Earlier to this is r26653, which bricks the R7000 :mad:

Earlier to this is 26635, which bricked and made R7000 to catch fire. WTF!? Then I read couple of more posts and looks this one is better.

So, shall I go ahead with 26635?

I want to flash DD WRT to NetGear Nighthawk R7000. It;s currently on stock firmware (V1.0.4.28_1.1.64).

First, NetGear has a opensource portal, there they have listed DD WRT Firmware downloads, but some lists do not have version numbers: http://myopenrouter.com/download?field_download_category_tid=3

The latest seems the one on "Monday, March 16, 2015" but the title mentions Dec 2014: DD-WRT Support Release Firmware for R7000 Routers 15-Dec-2014

Then I read these are by 'Kong' and main builds on DD WRT are by Slayer.

---

So the latest one is 26866, however looks like it has some problem with R7000. Check this (ctrl+f for R7000)

earlier build is 26854, but got no feedback on R7000.

Earlier to this is 26839, but feedback is not that great

Earlier to this is r26653, which bricks the R7000 :mad:

Earlier to this is 26635, which bricked and made R7000 to catch fire. WTF!? Then I read couple of more posts and looks this one is better.

So, shall I go ahead with 26635?
Sorry, can't help you with that but had a question myself
I see a good deal on the R7000
I currently have a DIR-850L hooked with the 2 APs for providing coverage (the DIR-850L falls short badly in my house)
So was wondering if the powered amps and antennas on the R7000 are just a gimmick or do they actually work
Also, what router were you on earlier - And what improvement , if any did you see compared to it

The TP Link modem routers have very good coverage actually (probably the 5dbi antennas)- It's a shame that the underlying chipset cannot handle the LAN traffic in a heavy usage environment without requiring frequent reboots
Incidentally, I have the same modem

ok, just an update that I did switch from the dir850L to the r7000
The WLAN transfer speeds even at 2.4G has jumped multi-fold and the range is significantly better
Do note that the dbi reported by scanners is around the same - However , the stability of the connection/overall throughput is a way lot better

I have an R7000 too, bought it on Amazon for 5.7K.Is there any benefit of going to DD-WRT?
I understand that there is a performance increase, but other than that - are there any new features, capabilities?

So how much you paid for it? Are you on stock firmware? I suggest you flash Asus Merlin Xvortex
stock - which seems to be doing the job well so no reason to flash
AFAIK, none of the after market flashed have hardware NAT - Paid around 9K
Getting around 200mbps (avg) during file transfers from a Bpi NAS to a macbook in proximity and around 100mbps at a reasonable distance

I have an R7000 too, bought it on Amazon for 5.7K.
That's a steal deal - It's around 12K on amazon now

I got it at 4999 myself. I'll tinker with it tomorrow. I plan on creating a repeater bridge b/w r7000 and r6300v2. I will post instructions later

Also, DDWRT has two variants for r7000. BS beta and Kong test. I have been using the latest BS beta on my trusty old Asus N13U-B1 without any issues. I am going to go with the Kong build on R7000

Also please note WDS does NOT work with DDWRT and R7000. DO NOT ATTEMPT. You will brick your device.

so i was using tp link w8968 modem router. after getting r7000, im still using w8968 to connect to airtel broadband in pppoe mode, and this r7000 is connected to lan4/wan port of w8968. i have disabled wireless and dhcp in w8968, and using the router for the same..

my questions:

1. modem's ip address is 192.168.1.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0, and router has ip address 10.0.0.1, with same subnet and gateway set to 192.168.1.1. is this setting correct? internet works for me without any issues.

2. any advantage in setting the modem wan to bridge mode and making the router connect to internet?

so i was using tp link w8968 modem router. after getting r7000, im still using w8968 to connect to airtel broadband in pppoe mode, and this r7000 is connected to lan4/wan port of w8968. i have disabled wireless and dhcp in w8968, and using the router for the same..

my questions:

1. modem's ip address is 192.168.1.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0, and router has ip address 10.0.0.1, with same subnet and gateway set to 192.168.1.1. is this setting correct? internet works for me without any issues.

2. any advantage in setting the modem wan to bridge mode and making the router connect to internet?

1. Yeh the setting is correct.
2. The only advantage of using the r7000 in bridge mode is to avoid running wires between the first router and r7000, thus a clean wireless link between two routers.

1. Yeh the setting is correct.
2. The only advantage of using the r7000 in bridge mode is to avoid running wires between the first router and r7000, thus a clean wireless link between two routers.
thanks..

I'm not asking about wireless bridge, but about WAN bridge mode, where the router completes the connection, instead of modem. ie router has the dsl username and password..

I got this router myself, but I am having several issues.

1. All connections (both wired/wireless) keep dropping every few minutes.
2. My android tablet (Asus TF300) does not show either of the SSID of the router. So I am unable to connect to it. I do have SSID broadcasting on.

Contemplating whether I should just return it.

thanks..

I'm not asking about wireless bridge, but about WAN bridge mode, where the router completes the connection, instead of modem. ie router has the dsl username and password..

Oh in that case it will help you to disable the NAT features on your modem. Its basically to help your r7000 to work as DHCP server and avoid the NAT conflicts between the two routers. The modem will just work to provide the public IP to your r7000.

I got this router myself, but I am having several issues.

1. All connections (both wired/wireless) keep dropping every few minutes.
2. My android tablet (Asus TF300) does not show either of the SSID of the router. So I am unable to connect to it. I do have SSID broadcasting on.

Contemplating whether I should just return it.

Same is happening with me. I tried DD-WRT and Tomato also from http://myopenrouter.com/
Nothing helped, so I am back to stock firmware, but still disconnections are there.

Same is happening with me. I tried DD-WRT and Tomato also from http://myopenrouter.com/
Nothing helped, so I am back to stock firmware, but still disconnections are there.

So, what are you doing about it? I checked online and there are many people reporting these issues. Wired connections getting dropped is absurd.
I for one decided not to waste time trying to make basic functionality work in this router. I have initiated process for refund on Amazon.

I got the second issue resolved by changing the channel from Auto to a fixed channel, but the first issue is a showstopper.

Back