Any Netflix Account sharing groups on TE ?

Tell me how does it matter. Netflix gets 800 and 4 people are watching simultaneously. Some people have better bonds with friends than they have with their families.
Even sharing within my family would mean usage in 3 different cities/places. So what would be the advantage/disadvantage for Netflix to enforce such an illogical, absurd rule. No company does that. I am even sharing my Zomato Gold membership with a couple of friends.

Do you do that with your phone plan? There are family sharing options there as well.

It's there in their T&C for legal purposes. Someone tomorrow hacks their servers/copies and uploads one of their shows to torrents or something then the account holder will be held responsible.

The difference is that Netflix is not enforcing the same as of now.

They have their longterm-customer reasons for not going strict with enforcing this. But that doesn't change that it is illegal and contrary to netflix's expectation. I don't think we should discuss whether torrent users pay or not, when blocking torrents causes dip in sales.

He added: "The terms of use is sharing within the household and that's our expectation.
"I don't think we are obsessed with enforcing compliance with a one-household-per-account constraint.
“Because, in reality, it's a high-value programme, so that's what people are going to do."

Also, the issue is, why would anyone subscribe to a 2 stream or 4 stream plan if he can't share the account.
Sharing is meant for households. 4 streams cost 800. First 2 rs. 650, last 2 cost rs. 150. Netflix's calculation would obviously not expect all 4 streams to run with max use in a single household in all houses (some houses will be exceptions)! Sharing the Rs. 800 plan into 4 causes max use of all 4 streams.

also sharing results in a terrible deal for netflix:

If 40 people share: 40*200 = Rs. 8000
If 13 people buy ethically 13*650 = Rs. 8450

So what about people like me who doesn't even need 2 streams, let alone 4.
Someone is saying sharing with family, while someone else is saying sharing within a household.
So which one is it? And how are they going to enforce it?
As for the hacking issue, I don't think Netflix can shift the blame on an end user if their servers are hacked.
Also, I don't think a company like Netflix will ever enforce such a rule which will cause a decline in paid viewership.

So what about people like me who doesn't even need 2 streams, let alone 4.
If you don't like any plans of theirs, you would have to take about these details with netflix.

Also, I don't think a company like Netflix will ever enforce such a rule which will cause a decline in paid viewership.
It will cause increase in viewership. 1.23 paying people pay as much as 4 sharers. (800/650) . But they play the long game, they want more people hooked and that's probably the only reason they do not enforce it much.

Note we haven't even talked about 4k available to sharers VS Rs.650 paying people.

Irrespective of what is legal or not, not may would pay 500, let alone the higher costs for watching NF. Hence, its understood that they are not enforcing the household policy limits (and its difficult as well, I guess)

Once we have NF reaching some sort of mass usage, or needs to undergo legal compliances or for other reasons, they might enforce these limits seriously.

Guys place available for 1 sharing in any group ?

My usage profile :
Would be mostly using only via television. No mobile viewing.
As of now, minimal downloading.

Kindly ping me !!

If you are going going with the illegal route, why bother with netflix sharing ? why not torrent ? Also I thought such illegal discussions are not allowed here...
yes, netflix sharing is against their terms. https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse
Their CEO is on record saying they love people sharing accounts. What do you even care if its allowed or not? Terms of use are not laws. At best they can ban you. Understand that all of this is in the context of massive torrent and user sharing scene. How much does Netflix earn from that? Zero.

The thing is, even if its a 1 user account, it can be shared among people. With 4 people and making UHD available only on higher plans, they are able to net the income of 4 people, irrespective of whether 4 are using or not.

Its 2018, only apple can get away with anti-consumer behaviour, for how long, we don't know. Rest have to present a friendly face. Because of these sweetheart terms, Netflix enjoys a lot of good will and hence lots more viewership and cult like following among pop culture fans. To make an assessment of whether giving 4 user accounts at that price is good for Netflix or not, you need to find the profit from such pro consumer stance too.

Their CEO is on record saying they love people sharing accounts.

That's Incomplete. Complete:
“We love people sharing Netflix whether they’re two people on a couch or 10 people on a couch,” Hastings said. “That’s a positive thing, not a negative thing.”
As kids move on in their lives, they like to have control of their life, and as they have an income, we see them separately subscribe,” Hastings told reporters at CES. “It really hasn’t been a problem.”

some other netfliex Cheig clarified: "When the kids go off to college, are they going to use that login? Well, that's probably OK, but when the kids go off and form their own household, they want the control of having their own account, so eventually that turns into a new revenue stream for us there as well." He added: "The terms of use is sharing within the household and that's our expectation.

Also 2013 : “If you mean, ‘Hey, I got my password from my boyfriend’s uncle,’ then that’s not what we would consider appropriate.”

What do you even care if its allowed or not? Terms of use are not laws. At best they can ban you.
I don't. I could not care less about legality. I was just curious why people bother with password sharing over torrent. and why the forum allows something that's against TOS

Remember the calculations . 1.23 paying people pay as much as 4 sharers. (800/650) . This does not even include the UhD, bandwidth and infrastructure costs. So even if

That's Incomplete. Complete:
“We love people sharing Netflix whether they’re two people on a couch or 10 people on a couch,” Hastings said. “That’s a positive thing, not a negative thing.”
As kids move on in their lives, they like to have control of their life, and as they have an income, we see them separately subscribe,” Hastings told reporters at CES. “It really hasn’t been a problem.”

some other netfliex Cheig clarified: "When the kids go off to college, are they going to use that login? Well, that's probably OK, but when the kids go off and form their own household, they want the control of having their own account, so eventually that turns into a new revenue stream for us there as well." He added: "The terms of use is sharing within the household and that's our expectation.

Also 2013 : “If you mean, ‘Hey, I got my password from my boyfriend’s uncle,’ then that’s not what we would consider appropriate.”

I don't. I could not care less about legality. I was just curious why people bother with password sharing over torrent. and why the forum allows something that's against TOS

Remember the calculations . 1.23 paying people pay as much as 4 sharers. (800/650) . This does not even include the UhD, bandwidth and infrastructure costs. So even if
Please read further -
He added: "The terms of use is sharing within the household and that's our expectation."
"I don't think we are obsessed with enforcing compliance with a one-household-per-account constraint.

Why will the forums bother with their TOS? Terms of service are for the contract between client and provider. They arent laws. Why should forums bother? If netflix has a problem, they will ban the users sharing (which they dont), so clearly they dont have a problem.

Are you a netflix share holder? Promoter? Why do you care? Let them deal with what people pay and what it costs. At scale of Netflix, such infrastructure is extremely cheap on a per user cost. Please don't bring in random ideas as facts. Cost doesnt say anything unless you put a number to it and a comparitive revenue.

Not obsessed, but still they do not want it. That is clear.

Why do you care?
Which part of "I don't" is not clear ??
If netflix has a problem, they will ban the users sharing (which they dont), so clearly they dont have a problem.
Its not straightforward to detect or prove sharing users. "plausible denialability" . Risk of bothering genuine users. bad PR. legal issues. Maybe long-term game.
Please don't bring in random ideas as facts.
dude lol. Start practicing what you preach "such infrastructure is extremely cheap on a per user cost." ? Also which random idea did I bring ?? Don't accuse me randomly please.
Cost doesnt say anything unless you put a number to it and a comparitive revenue.
I used the word 'cost' but I am not really talking about 'business costs', but about how much potential income netflix could be losing because of sharing users.

Last edited:
They have their longterm-customer reasons for not going strict with enforcing this. But that doesn't change that it is illegal and contrary to netflix's expectation. I don't think we should discuss whether torrent users pay or not, when blocking torrents causes dip in sales.
Here is an actual study by EU which shows piracy doesn't harm sales, instead it also increases sales and streaming hours.
https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

people who torrent are not the people who will go to theaters when they are denied movies by torrents.

Back