Budget 20-25K Android reccomendation - 25K

dafreaking

Skilled
1. Budget?
A: INR 25k(+/-2K)

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 4.7"-5.5", IPS LCD/AMOLED, FHD and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Latest and greatest!

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G + 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: All round device with a good camera and battery

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, microSD card slot if internal storage < 32GB

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Oneplus Two, Moto X Style, Xiaomi Mi5????

As the questionnaire says. Will be replacing my 18 month old Xiaomi Mi3 that still works well but the lack of storage is beginning to catch up. The budget cannot be extended by more than 2K (which is already over-stretching it, but, if something is worth it then why not). Would like to keep the phone for 18-24 months.

Would really like a great camera. Don't care about gaming or a qHD screen. Splash resistance is a plus.

The Moto X Style specs seem amazing but the reviews online seem quite meh given the specs.

Flipkart exchamge offers are there.

Try getting Moto X Style

Or
Get Nexus 5x 32 GB from google store for 27k
Last I checked (Don't know if price aee changed)

But 5x definitely will give better experience

Tough. Good camera good battery is a universal requirement for a long time now. you can get one and less of the other

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: All round device with a good camera and battery

Would really like a great camera. Don't care about gaming or a qHD screen. Splash resistance is a plus.

The Moto X Style specs seem amazing but the reviews online seem quite meh given the specs.
A good camera means it must come with ois. A working ois. ois means better quality images indoors. This ups the price.

without ois its just a decent camera as the style. The moto x play has the same camera and a better battery.

How many hours sot is minimum required ?

Last edited:
Thanks! Was away for a bit.

Lenovo Vibe X3 maybe. I am still not sure what the camera quality is like though. But worth a look!

Haven't found many reviews of the device. Seems to tick a lot of boxes. I need to dig in a little more...

Flipkart exchamge offers are there.

Try getting Moto X Style

Or
Get Nexus 5x 32 GB from google store for 27k
Last I checked (Don't know if price aee changed)

But 5x definitely will give better experience

The 32gb Nexus seems too (relatively) expensive. And also has a pretty small battery. The 16gb Nexus can be bought for much cheaper but 16 gb is a nono, I should have mentioned that 64gb or expandable storage is a must,

Tough. Good camera good battery is a universal requirement for a long time now. you can get one and less of the other

A good camera means it must come with ois. A working ois. ois means better quality images indoors. This ups the price.

without ois its just a decent camera as the style. The moto x play has the same camera and a better battery.

How many hours sot is minimum required ?
The lack of OIS on the X Style does suck. By good battery I mean it should last me through the day with 5 hours of SOT. My Mi3 would last 6 hours over 2 days if there weren;t too many calls. With calls it would die super fast sadly.

Nexus 5x for peace of mind for 2-3 years

Sorry, don't want a Nexus device.

So at the moment this looks like a tie in between the X Style and the OP2. Oneplus Two sorta edging it. The X Style battery reviews seem meh. So I don't know if I want to risk it. As usual super confused again and back to square one.

By good battery I mean it should last me through the day with 5 hours of SOT. My Mi3 would last 6 hours over 2 days if there weren;t too many calls. With calls it would die super fast sadly.
Tell us what apps you run and need to run. How long a battery lasts depends a lot on that.

How long are you on the phone for ? What is the signal strength in dbms where you take most of your calls. If your signal strength is poor any phone battery you get will be hit. Will you be that impressed if instead it dies a half hour or an hour longer than present.

How important is social media for you ? this is a real battery killer. Get popular on whatsapp and it works on push notifications so your phone never gets to sleep.

Are you dependent on data most of the time or wifi. Are you at a desk or moving all over the place during the day.

Do you have access to a charger during the day. This will increase your choice as now a top up is easy. You have no more battery problem even with the mi3. So the reason to upgrade then is for a better camera.

So at the moment this looks like a tie in between the X Style and the OP2. Oneplus Two sorta edging it. The X Style battery reviews seem meh. So I don't know if I want to risk it. As usual super confused again and back to square one.
Not style for battery. x play.

Camera on the op2 is okay, middling like the moto's.

Good camera for me is OIS and controls. Manual controls mean usable under a wider range of lighting. Otherwise you get good shots in some situations and unusable in others. So you will have to decide how important low light performance is.

Last edited:
Tell us what apps you run and need to run. How long a battery lasts depends a lot on that.
The apps I use daily - Whatsapp, Plume (Twitter), Instagram, Press (RSS). Notifications aren't enabled for apps except Whatsapp. Check Facebook through the browser a few times a week. Don't have the apps installed. Use Livescore to check sports scores. Google Sheets to track workouts etc. Calm for meditation. So most apps really aren't the draining types (unless there's something I don't know)

How long are you on the phone for ? If your signal strength is poor any phone battery you get will be hit.
Very subjective. There are days where I make calls for 20 mins or for 3 hours. Usually the phone is used for Twitter, Press, Podcasts/Music, etc. Singal strength is usually good.
How important is social media for you ? this is a real battery killer. Get popular on whatsapp and it works on push notifications so your phone never gets to sleep.
As I mentioned none of the social media networks I use have notifications enabled. (I don't count Whatsapp as social media)
Are you dependent on data most of the time or wifi. Are you at a desk or moving all over the place during the day.
Could use Wifi most of the time but I don't like not using up my 3g by the end of the month. Need to extract every last drop from Airtel :p
Do you have access to a charger during the day. This will increase your choice as now a top up is easy.
Usually do. In the rarest of rare cases I carry a power bank. I just prefer charging overnight or at the end of the day. But then again those are old habbits.
Not style for battery. x play.

Camera on the op2 is okay, middling like the moto's.

Good camera for me is OIS and controls. Manual controls mean usable under a wider range of lighting. Otherwise you get good shots in some situations and unusable in others. So you will have to decide how important low light performance is.

Which phone (according to you) has the best camera (overall) under 30K?. Maybe I can start narrowing options using that.

Get a Samsung Galaxy S6 online with cash back offers on Paytm or with coupons on ebay.in if possible . Since battery life isn't a priority & you're OK with daily charging, S6 fits the bill perfectly. S7 is going to be announced on Feb 21st & with S6 price cuts, you should get it around 30k locally .

It's the fastest android phone & best camera phone I've used offlate.

Dude get Nexus 5x 16 GB more than sufficient according to usage.
I am not suggesting because of third class built quality or average battery but only due to a good camera.

Alternatively you can try Honor 5x which is quite cheap but the build quality is on par with S6.
Check the camera for reviews from android authority and geekyranjit.
Everything else for Honor 5x is quite exceptional.

808 vs 616
https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapdragon-808-msm8992-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-616-msm8939

I am not suggesting because of third class built quality or average battery but only due to a good camera.

Alternatively you can try Honor 5x which is quite cheap but the build quality is on par with S6.

808 vs 616
https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapdragon-808-msm8992-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-616-msm8939

Thanks, but 16gb is not enough for my usage. I already have a phone with 16gb of storage and one of the reasons I want to change my phone is because I need more storage.

https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=172073533946
Refurb with 6 months manufacturer warranty

Brand new

https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=291671943742

Try getting a 10% discount coupon

Coupons are not applicable on the new one. Not sure if I want to spend 28-30K odd on a refurbished phone. Thanks for the links.

808 vs 616
Does anyone know if the Snapdragon 616 runs cool under load or does it get heated up like the 615/810?

Back