AMD Polaris RX480 officially launched starting at $199. Will be available from June 29.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
ITS FINALLY HEREEE!! OOYEAHHH!!

AMD made a bold move in launching its first "Polaris" architecture based performance-segment GPU, the Radeon RX 480 at a starting price of US $199. The company claims that it will perform on-par with $500 graphics cards from the previous generation, directly hinting at performance being on par with the Radeon R9 Fury and R9 Nano. Although it's not in the league of the GTX 1070 or the GTX 1080, this level of performance at $199 could certainly disrupt things for NVIDIA, as it presents an attractive option for people still gaming on 1440p and 1080p resolutions (the overwhelming majority).
The Radeon RX 480 is based on the 14 nm "Ellesmere">silicon, fabbed by GlobalFoundries. It's publicly known that GloFlo has a 14 nm fab in Malta (upstate New York), USA. The RX 480 is based on AMD's 4th generation Graphics CoreNext architecture, codenamed "Polaris." It features 2,304 stream processors, spread across 36 compute units (CUs). Its single-precision floating point performance is rated by AMD to be "greater than 5 TFLOP/s." The chip features a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, with memory clocked at 8 Gbps, yielding memory bandwidth of 256 GB/s.
There will be two variants of this card, 4 GB and 8 GB. It's the 4 GB variant that starts at $199, the 8 GB variant is expected to be priced at $229. AMD confirmed that the GPU will support DisplayPort 1.4 although it's certified up to
DisplayPort 1.3. The typical board power is rated at 150W.

PCworld
Techpowerup
wccftech
anandtech
pcper

reddit AMD Computex Megathread

Relevant info. on the Age of the Singularity (AotS) benchmark.
http://i.imgur.com/8NAJPMN.png

Last edited:
This really is a smart move from AMD and Nvidia doesn't seem to have an answer for this yet in this segment which might result in AMD finally making some much needed money, we still have to wait for benchmarks ofc but I'm sure this will be a good vfm product.
This trend of increasing gpu prices over the years has to stop somewhere, Nvidia keeps bumping up gpu prices by $100 every year which in turn results in upper midrange to high tiered cards landing here with exorbitant pricing, one just needs to look at the 1080 pricing too see what an awful waste of money it is for something that won't be worth half its current value in a year.

I've worked as a game tester for 6 years and I've literally come across hundreds of Indian gamers who are extremely passionate about gaming but don't have the money to upgrade their gpu's and are stuck with mid-range or low end gpu's for 5 years at least.
The bunch here on tech forums and elsewhere are the entitled few with all their 980Ti's and 1000w PSU's but for every one of those guys there are at least ten individuals playing Witcher 3 on low spec on a 5750.

Or they're appealing to a gullible userbase blinded by rabid fanboyism that refuses to acknowledge their greedy overlords have been shafting them silently who think they can squeeze their wallets even further, they aren't even trying to hide it anymore especially with that last pathetic shitshow PR fest aka the 1080 launch where they got their ass handed to them by the journalists over the existence and justification of the pricing of the Founders edition.
If anything, people who buy those gpu's are the founding members of the gullible green goblin milked idiot army who deserve to be ripped off.
Plus it's always a revelation to see updated benchmarks, you should go have a look at them from time to time.

As if ATI/AMD didn't do that very same thing whenever they got the opportunity and its not like they don't have rabid fanboi's of their own. Brand loyalty is as stupid as it gets.
In last 18 years, I purchased ATi/AMD cards most of the time because every series that I got were great value for the money compared to their competition, but I am no AMD fan. I wouldn't mind switching brands in any generation if the other brand offers better value.
I don't care about stupid notions like "this brand is evil" either and base my purchases on it.

These companies are in the market to make money and they would milk you for all they can. In the lack of strong competition, either of them would see it as an opportunity to raise prices.

Good News from AMD but the downside is availability. I hope they reach our shores on time and in abundance. If not guess I'll hv to import if I get lucky and lay my hands on one.

@Lord Nemesis You just keep repeating the same things over and over again in all the gpu related threads man, no one's favouring a monopoly here and no one's basing their purchases on blind fanboyism either, it's just you that doesn't miss an opportunity to show up any thread to come defend the honor of this company because of the 980 that sits in your system, just do me a favor and don't reply to my posts please.

Yeah, i remember the long conversation/tussle you guys had. Personally i don't bother about the price that much but it also doesn't mean that i will spend being insane.
The price/performance ratio has to be there and GPU`s have come a very long way. Now just waiting for the reviews to be out.

@Lord Nemesis You just keep repeating the same things over and over again in all the gpu related threads man, no one's favouring a monopoly here and no one's basing their purchases on blind fanboyism either, it's just you that doesn't miss an opportunity to show up any thread to come defend the honor of this company because of the 980 that sits in your system, just do me a favor and don't reply to my posts please.

I will defend or condemn any argument as I see fit. I will reply to you or anybody else's posts as I see fit. You have no choice in the matter. Don't want replies, don't post on public forums. So, get over it.

Unlike you, I don't play favorites for a brand just because it happens to be an underdog or expect less of them. I expect strong competition and their resources are not my concern and I will chide either brand as I see fit. I am not saying AMD products of late are crap, but that they are not competing well enough for a price war. Unless, there is mutually agreed price fixing, price war will happen when there is strong competition.

Regardless of the fact that I have GTX980 in my main rig currently (AMD GPU in another rig), I sill maintain that Physx is a useless tech. I will also say that nvidia drivers have been pretty crappy of late. AMD drivers may not be the most optimized, but i never found them buggy in all the years I have used them. I also fully agree with you on the GTX1080 founders edition PR nonsense.

At the same time, I don't stand for stupid nonsense arguments like the GTX970 having 3.5GB RAM. I would just as equally debate with anybody who comes and blindly says that AMD drivers are crap.[DOUBLEPOST=1464806382][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good News from AMD but the downside is availability. I hope they reach our shores on time and in abundance. If not guess I'll hv to import if I get lucky and lay my hands on one.

Don't hold your breath on the Indian pricing though. I expect the 8GB model to be upwards of 25k and maybe even closer to 30k following the ridiculous pricing patterns in India. If you can get it from US, go for it by all means.

@Lord Nemesis Unlike you I don't have the free time to bring out the same damn points and arguments over and over again in every damn thread so I'm not gonna waste my time any further arguing with someone with a memory problem on the internet.
Reply, defend, tag, condemn all you want, the choice I have is to ignore you.

The real issue is that condescending attitude of yours, one just has to look at your post history to see a common pattern, you have a tendency of showing up on threads and going off on a tangent by posting walls of text with big, highly-opinionated, biased and empty paragraphs to stroke your ego like some pseudo-intellectual from Quora, feel free to do "as you see fit" lol but you need to learn to be a bit more friendly on public forums, stop taking that username of yours too seriously for starters.

The RX 480 is supposed to have 5 TFlops compared to the 6 TFlops of the GTX 1070.If it provides 80% of the performance at nearly 50% of the prices then it is a no brainer and will kill the 1070.

Personally I am an unscrupulous Indian and will always go for the VFM card in the 250$ range regardless of the camp.:p:p
My upgrade path is like this-9800GT>HD 6970>GTX 770 and now hopefully the 8 GB version of the RX 480.Hope it is within 22-23k withing 6 months like the GTX 770 right now.
I can then upgrade once the hullabaloo has gone down and the prices stabilize.

Personally I am an unscrupulous Indian and will always go for the VFM card in the 250$ range regardless of the camp.
My upgrade path is like this-9800GT>HD 6970>GTX 770 and now hopefully the 8 GB version of the RX 480.

Lol I'm in the same camp, I only buy mid-range gpu's too, use them for a couple of years and usually end up getting 65% of the price by selling em online.
6600GT>8800GT>used 4850>Used GTX 260>HD 6950, haven't bought a new gpu since then because I lost interest in games for a bit but I occasionally borrow gpu's from friends but I'll definitely buy the 480 if the benchmarks are impressive but this already appears to be better than the rip off that was the 960/950Ti from last year. There's a new arch, the move to 14nm FF after ages and best of all I don't need to upgrade my PSU.

The 2GB 960 with a price of $200 was retailing here for 15-17k at launch so it'll definitely be between the price bracket you mentioned going by the 25% gamer tax imposed on us Indians these days.

Last edited:
Yes it should be around 16-18k for the 4GB version and 20-21k for the 8GB one. And if u import one then u hv to pay $200/230 + $50/70 shipping & import duty. So in the end it is almost the same amount but you get local warranty if you buy from India. Correct me if I'm wrong.

^when they say "import" I think they meant they will let someone bring the product for them thereby not paying custom and shipping duties etc. Else its obviously not going to be worth it.

Lets see what the GTX 1060 is going to cost and how it compares with RX480 first.
The only brand I am loyal to is my wallet.

Back