Graphic Cards AMD or NVIDIA... which is the current bang for the buck??

will be buying from the u.s on black friday, need suggestions for the card to get for gaming on 1440p. and future support for games. can spend upto 500$ and need the best single card solution as im going mini itx... should i spend extra and look at fury x or 980ti or u guys think something less powerful will do...any help is greatfully appreciated. links/suggestions are most welcome :)

thinking of going 390x so far - any reasons why i should avoid it?

edit - ONLY NEED THIS FOR RACING SIMS ... no other game will be played.
and please dont make it a flame war or post crap like nvidia ftw amd sucks post. ill report them.

I have 390x. Bang for buck.
Or wait till next gen comes.
Otherwise AMD are always bang for bucks.
Only con of 390x is temperatures.

As far as i have seen, ATI drivers are not very optimized, don't get me wrong the cards are bang for the buck. But, if you need consistent frame rates, good driver optimizations. Go for Nvidia.
As in, the overall average of the frame rate might be high in AMD but the frame rate drops to noticeable amounts at times. Whereas on the Nvidia the frame rate might not go as high as ATI but the frame rate does not drop to noticeable amounts.
For your use (Racing Sims) go for Nvidia. That's my opinion and observations so far. Not to mention the PhysX features of the Nividia cards.

As far as i have seen, ATI drivers are not very optimized, don't get me wrong the cards are bang for the buck. But, if you need consistent frame rates, good driver optimizations. Go for Nvidia.
As in, the overall average of the frame rate might be high in AMD but the frame rate drops to noticeable amounts at times. Whereas on the Nvidia the frame rate might not go as high as ATI but the frame rate does not drop to noticeable amounts.
For your use (Racing Sims) go for Nvidia. That's my opinion and observations so far. Not to mention the PhysX features of the Nividia cards.

If you are referring to Project Cars, well first of all it is not a sim and second physx features it uses doesn't run on the GPU. Yes that game had issues with amd on windows 7 but moving to Windows 10 wddm 2.0 driver fixed all of them.

Coming to other current sims - Assetto Corsa (my personal favorite), Dirt Rally, Rfactor 2, Race room, iRacing run just fine on both.

id like to know abit more about vr as i have the note 5... do u have any links?

seen some price drops on both the 390x and 970/980.... wondering if i should wait for black friday or take the jump now lol

this is how the rest of the build is looking so far ...

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 5.32.12 PM.png

Most people who complain about AMD drivers not being optimized are the ones who've never bought or used one, it's well documented that mostly titles with Gameworks end up running like crap on AMD cards.
As for vfm since you're sourcing from USA it's a no-brainer to go for AMD, last month I saw an OC'd 290 for under $200 with rebate on Newegg !!
Be patient and get the 390x

P.S. With VR it's more of a wait and watch game atm in terms of gaming, it mostly might turn out to be a fad like 3D and motion gaming.
From the interviews it looks like the launch price of the Rift will be $300 or more, then there's the question of support from game devs and the horsepower required to run it at high fidelity.
So far all I've seen are gimmicks, not to forget everyone and their grandma wants to get into the VR business which already seems to be fragmented before there's even a solid product available in the market (Rift, Vive, Morpheus, etc).
Personally I think its success will be decided by the same industry that helped VHS and Blu-ray.
NSFW

Last edited:
P.S. With VR it's more of a wait and watch game atm in terms of gaming, it mostly might turn out to be a fad like 3D and motion gaming.
From the interviews it looks like the launch price of the Rift will be $300 or more, then there's the question of support from game devs and the horsepower required to run it at high fidelity.
So far all I've seen are gimmicks, not to forget everyone and their grandma wants to get into the VR business which already seems to be fragmented before there's even a solid product available in the market (Rift, Vive, Morpheus, etc).
Personally I think its success will be decided by the same industry that helped VHS and Blu-ray.
NSFW

VR is the future! gaming is absolutely immersive in these if there's no lag.

i saw a project cars youvideo on vr and its really got me interested to try it out, hopefully once i find a good deal on a gfx card and the setup is ready ill get the rift

@Alif - I have just placed the order last night, after speaking to prime (they told me no stock coming as of now) contacted ASUS directly .. they didnt even bother giving me a reply.Surprisingly many other manufacturers dont carry the 390x as they have plenty of 290x instock which they want to push more, its a sad state of affairs locally, none have the fury in stock or available aswell.

so purchased this from the u.s a friend will carry it down next month... i should have more parts come in before that... so will only be able to tell u then hahaha

for now a teaser

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.15.37 PM.png

Last edited:
amd released crimson drivers and cut prices of fury x, fury and 390x by about $50.
amd cut down chips such as the fury and 390 are great vfm imo.

@Alif - I have just placed the order last night, after speaking to prime (they told me no stock coming as of now) contacted ASUS directly .. they didnt even bother giving me a reply.Surprisingly many other manufacturers dont carry the 390x as they have plenty of 290x instock which they want to push more, its a sad state of affairs locally, none have the fury in stock or available aswell.

so purchased this from the u.s a friend will carry it down next month... i should have more parts come in before that... so will only be able to tell u then hahaha

for now a teaser

View attachment 61355

Prime was selling this at 30k locally. Why buy it for more from abroad?

Chaos, prime not gonna get stock anytime soon, said wait 1-2months.. i got no reply from ASUS aswel (waited three days,contacted them twice), I got this for round 26/27k shipped at a friend in the U.S which is good price i feel. saved 4k which went in getting 2 noctua and 3 cm silencio fans.. lol this build is gonna be a good one hopefully (fingers crossed) :)

Back