CPU/Mobo AMD Llano A8-3510MX beats Sandy Bridge Core i7-2630QM!!!

DarkAngel

Skilled
APU comes out on top

AMD has posted a rather interesting Youtube clip comparing its upcoming Llano APU to an Intel Sandy Bridge processor.

The test pitted a Llano-based laptop against an Intel Core i7-2630QM rig in a couple of real life tests and, obviously, AMD came out on top. AMD ran some 3D and office apps side by side, proving that Llano could easily outperform Sandy Bridge in Final Fantasy, with not stuttering or dropped frames.

AMD’s power consumption figures were also better, staying under 48W, while Intel jumped back and forth between 45W and 55W. In a spreadsheet test, and the game running in the background, both processor were equally matched, but when the testers piled on some video and post processing, Llano pulled ahead. In addition, power consumption was still under 48W for the AMD, while Sandy went over 70W. AMD then launched a 3D modeling application, only to see Sandy Bridge struggle to cope, while Llano managed to deal with all four workloads.

The test rigs were closely matched in terms of hardware. The AMD testbed was based on an A8-3510MX APU with HD 6620M graphics and the A70M Fusion Controller Hub (FCH). Intel sported a 2GHz Core i7-2630QM, HD 3000 graphics and H67 chipset. Both machines had 4GB of DDR3 and the exact same 128GB SSD.

AMD’s Llano clearly has a lot to offer, although it probably won’t need to deal with such heavy workloads in real life and Intel will still dominate the high-end. However, Llano could easily hit the sweet spot and score plenty of design wins in the much broader mainstream market. In addition, Llano is expected to end up somewhat cheaper than comparable Intel Sandy Bridge processors and AMD might have a pretty good chance of unsettling Intel in the mid range mobile market.

AMD pits Llano against Sandy Bridge

AMD: Llano is better at multi-tasking than Sandy Bridge - TechSpot

AMD video shows Llano, Sandy Bridge side by side - The Tech Report

AMD demo Llano on YouTube | bit-tech.net

All you people who want to upgrade to SB hold on i say !!!! HD 6620M graphics has 480 shaders and is a midrange-upper midrange mobile GPU!!! Thats the IGP of the Llano Quad :O

Yeah!! With this kind of APU AMD could come back big time in $700-$1200 segment :D Bring on the competition i say :) Hope the Llano dual cores have HD 65xxM (400 shaders) class graphics and hits the $500-700 sweet spot. That would make one heck of a laptop.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AMD Radeon HD 6630M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

HD6630M is clocked @ 485MHz. So i guess this HD 6620 should be a 350-400MHz with 480 shaders.

funkysourav said:
impressive news i must say DA
any news on the desktop front?
If they can match in the mobile segment then desktop shouldnt be far behind. :)
Also its in the mobile segment where the AMD is far behind Intel.

Am just loving this, after a very long time, AMD now has a chance to beat INTEL off :) Still am waiting for the desktops :)

Who's going to play a game and watch a movie at the same time, on 1 screen?
It's impressive that llano can do it, and faster than Intel at that, but it's an extreme case. 3 streams, SPECviewperf, video and gaming go to the gpu on the apu, and all this proves is that amd's gpu is more capable than intels.
They should have shown a demo where they were editing photos, indexing excel files, browsing the web, encoding a video file and playing a game/video. That's a slightly more realistic scenario than the one AMD demonstrated, which was Workload number one was the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark, workload two an Excel spreadsheet with automated calculations, number three consisted of a 1080p video (Big Buck Bunny), and workload four had SPECviewperf rendering the wireframe model of a car.
3 gpu heavy apps, and 1 cpu heavy app...turn the tables around and lets see if llano still comes out tops.

I really wish AMD did make more powerful cpus, but they don't.
I'm not an Intel fanboy, or an AMD basher. In fact I haven't owned an Intel cpu since my first Pentium mmx 166mhz machine, and have used both Via and AMD after, and will probably continue using AMD for some time to come, but that's only because of affordability, not because they offer top performance.

Vibu said:
Am just loving this, after a very long time, AMD now has a chance to beat INTEL off :) Still am waiting for the desktops :)
yeah intel has been toying with us way too long

quad cores from intel are the same price as they were back in 2007, and to think intel has moved from 65nm > 45nm > 32nm and i'm pretty sure at 22nm Ivy Bridge quads wont come below 177$ ever...

I hope AMD CPUs rape intels arse

comp@ddict said:
yeah intel has been toying with us way too long

quad cores from intel are the same price as they were back in 2007, and to think intel has moved from 65nm > 45nm > 32nm and i'm pretty sure at 22nm Ivy Bridge quads wont come below 177$ ever...

I hope AMD CPUs rape intels arse
I hate INTEL pricing, way to high price for everything....

Back