Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

Read a news report that says most of the 7000 series low end cards are die shrinks of the 6000 series. Well, i expected something better.

AMD Radeon HD 7900 Release Dates and Pricing Leaked

We have known for quite some time now that the start of 2012 will mark the introduction of AMD's Radeon HD 7900-series of GPUs based on the Next-Generation Core (NGC) architecture, but recently a leak has come to unveil the approximate release dates and prices of these graphics cards.

The report comes from the SemiAccurate website and doesn't name its source so it must be taken with a grain of salt, but the release schedule provided seems quite plausible if you were to ask us.

According to this info, the first Radeon HD 7000 part to arrive will the be the Tahiti XT graphics core, AMD's most powerful single-GPU solution in this series, which is expected to make its entrance in January of next year.

Tahiti Pro will follow the next month, while in March and respectively April, AMD will launch the Pitcairn XT and Pro graphics cores, two GPUs that we haven't seen mentioned before.

Pricing is set at roughly $500 (368 EUR) for the high-end Tahiti XP part, while the Pro version comes $100 (73.6 EUR) cheaper. Pitcairn cards will retail at $300 (221 EUR) and respectively $200 (147 EUR).

All the graphics cards are fabricated using TSMC’s 28nm process and use the Next Generation Core (NGC) architecture the company detailed at its Fusion summit and that was designed to offer improved performance and functionality in GPGPU environments.

In addition, all Radeon HD 7900 reference designs will come with an improved cooling system that replaces the traditional vapor chamber technology used for high-end parts with a liquid chamber.

No other information regarding the AMD Tahiti and Pitcairn GPUs is available at this time, apart from the fact that the former should include a 384-bit wide memory interface, but more leaks should appear in the near future.

Link: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Release Dates and Pricing Leaked - Softpedia

Link : AMD Radeon HD 7000M GPU Series Unveiled, Specs Included - Softpedia

AMD's Radeon HD 7000-series graphics cores should make their entrance in the market not too long away from now and recently the specifications of a wide series of the mobile version of these GPUs were leaked on the Web.

As it has been reported previously, on the notebook front, the HD 7000-series will be comprised of five different graphics cores addressing the needs of a wide range of users ranging from the low-end to the enthusiast sectors.

Sadly, little is known about the most powerful of these GPUs, based on the Wimbledon, Heathrow and Chelsea designs, apart from a preliminary set of operating frequencies and the memory installed, but AMD's the mid-range and entry-level solutions are a lot better documented.

According to ComputerBase, the publication who got a hold of this info, the Thames and Seymour GPUs will be used by AMD in no less than 14 mobile graphics cores from the Radeon HD 7000 series.

Of these solutions, eight are based on the mainstream Thames core and these are expected to have TDPs ranging from 15 to 25 Watts thanks mainly to the transition from the 40nm process technology to the 28nm node.

The Thames GPU will actually be available in four different versions, dubbed XT, Pro, LP and LE, which will be used to power the Radeon HD 7600M and HD 7500M notebook graphics cards.

Moving to the entry-level Seymour graphics cores, these will be marketed as the Radeon HD 7400-series and all include a 64-bit memory bus.

Unlike its more powerful siblings, Seymour GPUs will be manufactured using the same 40nm process technology as that of the current AMD Radeon HD 6000 GPUs.

It appears that Nvidia will go for a similar approach (paring 40nm and 28nm parts) with their GeForce 600M GPUs, which seems to suggest that both graphics chip makers have troubles with TSMC's 28nm production node.

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Single-GPU Graphics Card Price-Points Surface

neojjjk said:
AMD Radeon HD 7000 serisi için fiyat bilgileri

The Radeon HD 7670 -$179HD 7650- $119.

HD 7950 -399$ ,HD 7970-499$

HD 7870-299$,HD 7850 -199$

For the highly anticipated AMD Radeon HD 7000 series is no longer doing their final preparations. If there is no change to last-minute-volume product will be marketed in the month of January is considered the new graphics cards. AMD's 28nm process technology at the same time prepared for the Radeon HD 7000 family will move to two different GPU architecture. Graphics chip, code-named Tahiti Radeon HD 7900 series graphics cards to power its next-generation graphics processor architecture, all the rest of the Radeon HD 6900 series graphics chips used in the design of the base alacaklar.Yapılan VLIW4 HD 7800 series, according to assessments, currently AMD's single GPU 'lu, the HD 6900 series graphics cards are the fastest 28nm manufacturing technology and performance adapted version is shown as adjustments made.

Tahiti's Radeon HD 7950 and Radeon HD 7970 graphics chip used in the models, the new-generation graphics processor architecture takes advantage of the blessings. GPGPU AMD to focus on new features, especially the radical design of the x86 virtual memory with a number of significant feature enhancements to improve the future performance of the new architecture also includes pure. By AMD, if not yet officially confirmed the use of 384-bit memory bus with the Radeon HD 7900 series seems to be the next on the agenda. Accompanied by a high-speed GDDR5 memory chips for AMD's new Radeon HD 7900 series to make the transition to a cooler design seems probable. MIMD parallelism of the multi-data center that will include the design of multi-cycle command thought the new design the new process units CU is defined as the key units in the workload will be undertaken.

The new generation of graphics cards, AMD's announcement about his or any information, although not officially confirmed the information leading to business partners, wondering which clarifies the various details. According to sources close to AMD have achieved, but also to offer DirectX 11.1 support 3GB memory version of the HD 7970 model, $ 499, $ 399 at HD 7950'nin pricing model with 3GB of memory sunulacaklar. Of course, these prices are valid for foreign taxes due to higher prices for Turkey would be mentioned in the note düşelim. So at what level of performance will be AMD's next-generation graphics cards. After several discussions of different manufacturers can be said to be emerging as the current tablounun; Radeon HD 6990> GTX 590> Radeon HD 7970> GeForce GTX 580> Radeon HD 7950> GeForce GTX 570> Radeon HD 6970.

In January, the Radeon HD 7900 series expected to be followed, probably in February Pitcairn will power the Radeon HD 7800 series graphics chips, code-named place on the shelves will be taken. Prices are $ 299 for the HD 7870, HD 7850 seems to be going for $ 199. In addition, the Radeon HD 7800 series graphics chips to power its display of Cape Verde with the similar periods in the market to replace the cards. The Radeon HD 7400, 7500 and 7600 series graphics chips to power its supposedly, 128-bit memory bus model with a $ 179 Radeon HD 7670, HD 7650 model information can be presented in the $ 119 level, is one of the details we receive. March along with the bear, most likely at CeBIT 2012 held in Germany when a similar dual-GPU Radeon HD 7990 will witness the model output. Tahiti will be powered by a pair of XT graphics card, 3GB of graphics chips and / or is expected to come with 6GB of memory capacity GDRR5, expressed in terms of pricing levels to exceed $ 699 may apply.

Translation : Google Translate

IMO, pricing for the lower end cards is too much, especially for the 7670.

With nVidia no where near being a deciding factory i think the pricing could be much worse, especially for the high end cards. I mean if u have one department that actually is capable of bringing the money in wont you wanna ride it hard a bit while the entire company is doing not-so-peachy.

Give it a coupla months the price would come down. If nVidia get their game up then even drastically so.

I'm building a new system with hd 6950. And my budget for the graphics card is 15k. Please answer below queries.

1) Should I wait for 7xxx series ? I want as much performance as of current 6950 for around 15k.

2) When will it be available in India?

scottwilly said:
I'm building a new system with hd 6950. And my budget for the graphics card is 15k. Please answer below queries.

1) Should I wait for 7xxx series ? I want as much performance as of current 6950 for around 15k.

2) When will it be available in India?
as per last few pages reviews we can expect 7950 to be near about 20k so i wont wait for it

2. dont know when we will see them in india but expect 1~2 month time [i may be wrong]

i would wait for 28nm chips to get settled with production so it should take around 6 months or so for real VFM 7 series cards

kartikoli said:
as per last few pages reviews we can expect 7950 to be near about 20k so i wont wait for it

2. dont know when we will see them in india but expect 1~2 month time [i may be wrong]

i would wait for 28nm chips to get settled with production so it should take around 6 months or so for real VFM 7 series cards

I won't necessarily go for 7950. I will go for some 7850 card if its performance is comparable to current 6950

scottwilly said:
I won't necessarily go for 7950. I will go for some 7850 card if its performance is comparable to current 6950
in that case why wait for 2 months for similar performance @ the same prize tag or may be more

if 7950 is 20k then 7850 would be lined up for around 17k which still is high as compared to high end 6950s

anyways choice is yours either to wait or go for 6 series

i too wanted to lay my hands on 7 series but initial price figures have stopped me

^^dude get your pricing right....for hd7850 it would be $.199 that translates roughly to the price of hd6870 in Indian currency when it was released (12~15k with taxes and all)......and you forgot hd7870...in series hd7950>hd7870>hd7850......! 17k would be price of hd7870 not hd7850....one thing is true waiting time is 2 months + the time it reaches our Indian shores...!

max_s said:
^^dude get your pricing right....for hd7850 it would be $.199 that translates roughly to the price of hd6870 in Indian currency when it was released (12~15k with taxes and all)......and you forgot hd7870...in series hd7950>hd7870>hd7850......! 17k would be price of hd7870 not hd7850....one thing is true waiting time is 2 months + the time it reaches our Indian shores...!
oh my bad truly got confused between 7870 and 7850

anyways i dont think 7850 could match 6950 but it useless to speculate before we get some real benchmark

when can we expect some benchmarks?

AMD Says It Started Shipping 28nm GPUs for Revenue

AMD has just officially announced that is has started shipping next-generation graphics cores fabricated using TSMC’s 28nm process technology for revenue, confirming rumors that suggested the company is getting ready to launch new GPUs at the start of next year.

"We are ramping 28nm [products] with TSMC in Taiwan and shipping the products here and now.

“We are very excited about the products," said Rory Read, chief executive officer of AMD, during IT Supply Chain conference organized by Raymond James.

The company’s CEO hasn’t mentioned the names of these solutions, but he could be referring to the Tahiti GPU which is used for the company’s upcoming Radeon HD 7970 and HD 7950 solutions.

These have been previously rumored to launch on January 9, so Read’s announcement seems to confirm this date and leads Xbit Labs to believe that PC makers will start shipping Radeon HD 7000-series "Southern Islands" chips shortly after CES next month.

While no official information was provided by AMD, a recently leaked company slide has detailed the specifications of its highest performing single-GPU solution in the Radeon HD 7000 range.

The graphics card is called the Radeon HD 7970 and is built around the Tahiti XT core that includes 32 Compute Units for a total of 2048 streaming cores that operate at a 925MHz clock.

These seem to be accompanied by 128 texture units, 32 ROP units and by a 384-bit wide memory bus that is connected to 3GB of VRAM working at 1.37GHz (5.5GHz effective) to deliver 264GB/s of memory bandwidth.

The leaked slide also revealed that the TDP of the card is estimated at 300W, which isn’t a large departure from the Radeon’s HD 6970 250W rating.

More information regarding the Radeon HD 7900 product family should be available soon enough, so we’ll make sure to keep you up to date with how things evolve.

AMD Says It Started Shipping 28nm GPUs for Revenue - Softpedia

Back