Amazon India - Feedback Thread

Is 100% FDI for amazon and others like them allowed now? Or are they still waiting?

No 100% FDI in multi-brand retail yet. Even in single brand retail, there is a limit that material/services worth 30% have to be sourced from smallscale/village industries.
This clause however might go away according to a recent article in the Economic Times. Reason given is that luxury brands can't source material required by them locally. If this does happen, you will very soon see official Apple stores opening in India. Apple and Gucci, among other high end brands are known to be behind the govt considering to remove the clause.
Personally, I would like to see the clause remain as our manufacturing sector really needs impetus of FDI more than the retail sector.

Placed an order the day before with 1 day delivery, they said i'd get it by 8pm the next day, the guy shows up a half hour earlier yesterday. I insist on opening the packaging (just to make sure they sent me the right item), the guy agrees but says i cannot open the original box. Fine, they did send me the right item, they got it to me in the time stipulated. There was a bandh yesterday in Bangalore and i got an email from amazon at 6 pm saying it might not be possible, but bandh was only from sunrise to sunset. So all in all a pleasant experience for an item fulfilled by amazon. The tracking matched and moment i signed for it with my finger on his galaxy grand their site updated it was delivered.

Amazon has fulfillment centres only in Bangalore & Bombay for now. If you live in those cities i imagine there won't be too much issue. I kept asking the guy which courier he belonged to and he said amazon. According to this article they will be opening five more FC's in Delhi, Chennai, Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Tauru (outskirts of Gurgaon). This due to the extra $2 bn amazon are investing into their india operations. Hopefully things will get better.

Last edited:
Amazon has fulfillment centres only in Bangalore & Bombay for now. If you live in those cities i imagine there won't be too much issue. I kept asking the guy which courier he belonged to and he said amazon. According to this article they will be opening five more FC's in Delhi, Chennai, Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Tauru (outskirts of Gurgaon). This due to the extra $2 bn amazon are investing into their india operations. Hopefully things will get better.
Ya they are opening up more FC soon. Also from what I heard from a dealer in Delhi they are having some issues of non moving items stocked up in their Bhiwandi (Mumbai) FC. They are looking a way to optimize the space now.
The delivery company is a sister concern of Amazon India called ATS or Amazon Transport Services ....
If they had failed to deliver your item the next day for a 1 day delivery they refund you the amount.

Now they have got a solid base and good start in India. If they dont want to end up like they did in China they should focus to improve the site by updating the listing descriptions and making them more accurate and also have greater control over sellers. Many fraud sellers are offloading fake or copy items on Amazon so better stay away from items which are not Amazon fulfilled specially if they cost a lot.

Ordered Huntkey Power Strip couple of days back, was delivered within 36 hours, but the import date is almost 3 years old! October 2011! Should I return it or keep it? Packing seems intact, but is it safe to use such an old item?

Also ordered couple of Philips LED bulbs with Power Strip. Both were Amazon Fulfilled, but somehow they sent LEDs with FedEx! And FedEx delayed saying "Customer not available", but me and my parents were home all day! :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of Amazon.com.

Was a bit skeptical about Amazon.in. Bought 3-4 items from Amazon.in recently including 2 laptops (all of them Amazon fulfilled).

One of the laptop was ordered with assured one day delivery (in Delhi). The scheduled delivery time was around 7P.M. The laptop was delivered in excellent packaging 3 hours before time.

Another one was through normal delivery to Kolkata. This one was also delivered within stipulated time without any problem.

A Philips toaster was ordered which turned out to be malfunctioning. Lodged a compliant with Amazon and return pickup was scheduled through Fedex. The refund was made on the same day without getting the product in their hand!!

So far, very much satisfied with Amazon.in for products fulfilled through Amazon. Haven't tried any other options.

Recent pricing is also very competitive.

Wanted to mention one thing here, Amazon pretty much ships to any place in India where speedpost is available. Even if its in a suburban area not a town/city.

very much happy with amazon , wasn't satisfied with a ringke iphone 5s case for rs 323 . placed a return request, the item was picked within 2 days, got the refund the same day.

Recently ordered a 2TB WD HDD from Amazon.in Vendor was ANKITA INFOSYS.

Just could not believe the [sic]packing when I saw it. A sheet of thin cardboard was put around the HDD. They did not even bother to cover the sides completely. As expected, it did not survive the journey.

Amazon CC was nice & offered refund + courier charges. Sent the item back today.

On Ebay getting to the CC is next to impossible these days... and their time lines are also very frustrating...
With Amazon for items other than "Amazon Fulfilled" items it could very well be a nightmare. Had 2 exp. but I always experiment with low price items in such cases.
As a rule its better to stick to Amazon Fulfilled items for now.
Amazon India still needs a lot of time to set such practices in place. The seller rating systems and feedback systems is not the best yet. Item descriptions and listings are weird and totally incorrect. Like for Canon 700D the listing is copied from a Nikon camera :(

Ebay is good in this matter as individual items have their own listings. But then Amazon is better at CC and at Delivery. Its not good its amazing....

Yeah. Being a marketplace they can arrange only a refund, not a replacement, as per their current policy.

I, in this case, wanted replacement not refund; of course it is better that I don't have to run after CC to get a refund even. My refund experience with SD was also good.

Amzon deliver really sucks big time.
More than a week passed but failed to delivered it.
Generally it takes 3-4 days time for most of the couriers to reach me(any where from India).
Order an item at 10th Oct and it reached at local FedEx office at 14th Oct but they did not do anything till now to deliver me.
Mailed amazon but only reply but nothing.....

May be festival season taking a toll on delivery times. I bought a laptop in Aug 2014 (amazon fulfilled) - delivered within 2 days from Bangalore to Delhi. Also, most of the items I bought from Amazon got delivered within 7 days (max).

Back