Amazon Fire TV Stick India Launched for Rs 3999

Got the Fire TV Stick and it took me an hour to set it up!!! Basically the problem was it connected to my US Amazon account instead of India. Hence none of the videos were playing (even those that are available in India). Eventually had to contact Amazon help line (Chat) and get the account point to my Indian account and then had to factory reset the device.

The Error was "NETWORK_ERROR". So, if you have the same error chat with Amazon.in to get it resolved.

I had same issue, after factory reset the remote is not connecting at all. Cc guy said he will contact me tommorow. I think something is broke during reset. Damn, the gui initially looked great!

First hour impressions -

Device has great build quality including the charger and cables provided along with. The packaging and manual are good as expected. When started it shows its enrolled to my Amazon account. Login seems to me must to use the device.

The first page first tab shows the bundle displayed on product description - Prime Video, Netflix, Hotstar, Eros Ent., etc... Checked the prime video content, when started a video it get few seconds to get picture quality, not sure about DD but it should be content specific, my Yamaha HTiB showed PCM. Voice commands needs to be tested more. Clicking Home button directly takes you to home page just like Android phones... While using Gaana app, pressing home took me to home page but songs continued to played in background. Remote is easy to navigate play/pause, forward/rewind etc. I wished it has volume control as well, that could be single remote entertainment, had to use home theater remote. Installed Hotstar, without login played the IPL match, not sure how much was the delay but it was running bit late than the live. Chromecast users using YouTube will find it bit uncomfortable, specially searching with that remote.

The device gets moderately heated, guess its normal for such sticks. It needs power supply, hooking its usb to my 9 years old Samsung tv usb showed less power warning, when connected to HTiB usb it worked without any warning.

I am yet to test speech commands, games, connecting Bluetooth controller for games, trying to access NAS files via apps like ES file explorer etc which are available in store. Think it will keep my weekend busy.

First hour impressions -

Device has great build quality including the charger and cables provided along with. The packaging and manual are good as expected. When started it shows its enrolled to my Amazon account. Login seems to me must to use the device.

The first page first tab shows the bundle displayed on product description - Prime Video, Netflix, Hotstar, Eros Ent., etc... Checked the prime video content, when started a video it get few seconds to get picture quality, not sure about DD but it should be content specific, my Yamaha HTiB showed PCM. Voice commands needs to be tested more. Clicking Home button directly takes you to home page just like Android phones... While using Gaana app, pressing home took me to home page but songs continued to played in background. Remote is easy to navigate play/pause, forward/rewind etc. I wished it has volume control as well, that could be single remote entertainment, had to use home theater remote. Installed Hotstar, without login played the IPL match, not sure how much was the delay but it was running bit late than the live. Chromecast users using YouTube will find it bit uncomfortable, specially searching with that remote.

The device gets moderately heated, guess its normal for such sticks. It needs power supply, hooking its usb to my 9 years old Samsung tv usb showed less power warning, when connected to HTiB usb it worked without any warning.

I am yet to test speech commands, games, connecting Bluetooth controller for games, trying to access NAS files via apps like ES file explorer etc which are available in store. Think it will keep my weekend busy.
In my limited testing I found the voice search pretty good within Primevideos. Searching across the Apps does not seem to work as efficiently as expected. The one feature I really liked was the bandwidth consumption warning. I have set mine at 150GB which should be good enough for watching 5 hours of daily HD quality video.

Did you face problem with parental controls? I have setup parental control for 18+. Looks like other than Primevideos all other apps need the PIN to open the apps. This is probably because Fire TV does not know whether the content within the App is content rated or not. There should be a way of whitelisting of apps. It is annoying to enter the PIN every time I open the NDTV app.

In my limited testing I found the voice search pretty good within Primevideos. Searching across the Apps does not seem to work as efficiently as expected. The one feature I really liked was the bandwidth consumption warning. I have set mine at 150GB which should be good enough for watching 5 hours of daily HD quality video.

Did you face problem with parental controls? I have setup parental control for 18+. Looks like other than Primevideos all other apps need the PIN to open the apps. This is probably because Fire TV does not know whether the content within the App is content rated or not. There should be a way of whitelisting of apps. It is annoying to enter the PIN every time I open the NDTV app.

I haven`t used the parental control nor its required. Same is with bandwidth option, I have 10Mbps unlimited plan.

wait for JIO TV, of it has android it will kill all other or push them for better products, internet and smart TV has great potential in India however companies like airtel, vodafone donr want to evolve with time and dont want to reduce prices

wait for JIO TV, of it has android it will kill all other or push them for better products, internet and smart TV has great potential in India however companies like airtel, vodafone donr want to evolve with time and dont want to reduce prices

If you are talking about Airtel broadband I can understand but what does Vodafone have to do with any of this? Vodafone does not provide a dedicated broadband connection. I think a dedicated broadband connection is a must and the mobile data is okay when you are on the move.

The ISP situation in India has it's own woes thread and I think it is best if it is discussed elsewhere as it becomes OT here.

Can we install apps from playstore? Like tvf play?

I am using Fire Stick for past 1.5 years or so. I bought the 1st gen back in 2016 beginning. I am in US so my primary source of entertainment is streaming only. I have Kodi side loaded on this since day 1 (now updated to Krypton 17.1) and use various addons to watch LiveTV. I do not use Prime videos as I don't have anything to see there and I won't be even renewing my prime once it expires. I use Youtube and Netflix and they work pretty well. For a primary entertainment device, I should have bought a FireTV Box instead but since it was my first foray into Kodi, I wanted to invest less. But the stick is still serving me well and works as expected. No issues whatsoever. I like the fact that I don't have to point the remote to the TV.

The only minor issue I have found sometimes happening is that my videos on Kodi and other *cough*live tv*cough* apps (but not netflix, youtube) would stutter and frame rates would drop with lost audio. I always though that it was probably due to unreliable streams from not so dedicated servers. But in an attempt to fix it, I tried this, I put the firestick in fridge for 20 minutes as it was warm (not hot) to hold. After reconnecting, this were back to normal. I do this only when restarting the stick does not help. I use my TVs USB port to supply power, rarely it will say that power is not enough but it would still work. In my case, I have not really faced wifi issues as my wifi router is just behind the TV so distance between stick and router is very very less.

I many a times think to change and get a FireTV Box but then again, I don't see a real need of that as the stick does whatever I want for now. I never use local playback so having MicroSD slot or USB slot was not a requirement.

I am using Fire Stick for past 1.5 years or so. I bought the 1st gen back in 2016 beginning. I am in US so my primary source of entertainment is streaming only. I have Kodi side loaded on this since day 1 (now updated to Krypton 17.1) and use various addons to watch LiveTV. I do not use Prime videos as I don't have anything to see there and I won't be even renewing my prime once it expires. I use Youtube and Netflix and they work pretty well. For a primary entertainment device, I should have bought a FireTV Box instead but since it was my first foray into Kodi, I wanted to invest less. But the stick is still serving me well and works as expected. No issues whatsoever. I like the fact that I don't have to point the remote to the TV.

The only minor issue I have found sometimes happening is that my videos on Kodi and other *cough*live tv*cough* apps (but not netflix, youtube) would stutter and frame rates would drop with lost audio. I always though that it was probably due to unreliable streams from not so dedicated servers. But in an attempt to fix it, I tried this, I put the firestick in fridge for 20 minutes as it was warm (not hot) to hold. After reconnecting, this were back to normal. I do this only when restarting the stick does not help. I use my TVs USB port to supply power, rarely it will say that power is not enough but it would still work. In my case, I have not really faced wifi issues as my wifi router is just behind the TV so distance between stick and router is very very less.

I many a times think to change and get a FireTV Box but then again, I don't see a real need of that as the stick does whatever I want for now. I never use local playback so having MicroSD slot or USB slot was not a requirement.

Can you check local streaming for the community ? Also, any idea if the US version of fire stick works in India?

Back