Am I Being Ripped Off-Root Canal Charges?

freshseasons1 said:
RootCanal should never cost more than 3K to max 4K,anywhere no matter how professionally done.
I have paid about 4K for the complete thing along with ceramic crown.

I have a friend who has his own ceramic Laboratory. If anyone needs good quality crowns at half price let me know.

Where is your frnd located ??

Can anybody let me know Bangalore Institute of Dental Science is good for treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got root canal done in 2015, 5-6k for the procedure, 12k for crown, crown got chipped 2 weeks back, another 12k for new crown

Hi,
Let me clear this up. Your cost of rct depends on the material used. If the doctor is using files to perform rct worth 2k to 3k that is protaper,tf files, m2 and rotary machines then your rct cost can be 3k to 4k without cap as the products used are expensive. These files have a short life and restocking it is expensive. Also they need rotary equipment that cost between 40k to 2lakhs. Hence the cost trickles down to the patient. But if the doctor is using basic hand k file that cost 600-700 rs then prices like 3k to 4k is too much and the basic cost should not be more than 2k to 3k with cap(assuming the cap is basic). Always talk to the doctor and ask the equipments and materials that the doctor is gonna use. If he explains well and justifies his price and is using good equipments and follows sterilization protocols the high price is ok. Private clinics are usually preffered as they can change equipment depending on affordability of the patient, this flexibility is not available at corporate clinics as their prices are standardised but you can avail dental loans there.

I had root canals in about 5 teeth. Only found by initial experience in 3 teeth that even the so called experts cannot fit the cap/crown correctly. Also, the neighbouring tooth may be endangered and a cavity may develop on the side of the neighbouring tooth.

Once I moved to Dr. Rani James (Ace dental clinic), my experience has been very good. Literally got two of my existing caps changed. Atleast the jaws close properly and I don't have other teeth being damaged. For two other teeth where other dentists said its a root canal, she just did a temporary filling for a week, and when there was no pain, filled them up with composite filling. My wife had shown a filling that came out to a reputed dental chain hospital, and the dentist said that since it is very close to the nerve, it will have to be a root canal. Moved her to my dentist and she just did a top up filling without removing the existing one fully to avoid damaging the nerve. All fine in last few months.

I feel people are getting cheated either deliberately, or because these kind of procedures are not understood. Some of root canals are just not necessary. Its now my firm belief that dentists who have also been teaching in dental colleges are extremely good.

Dr. A K Ray is also very very good in this. To be honest, there would be many others who would be really good, just that I don't wish to experiment with my teeth to find them :)

Back