Airtel to Jio: Do new Ported Numbers get Prime?

Hi,

I have been an Airtel postpaid customer for 12 years now. There network coverage in my residential area is very poor and they are doing nothing about it. So, finally, I have decided to move away from from Airtel. My wife has Jio which has great signal inside our house.

My phone (Moto X Force) is not VOLTE. It is only 4G LTE. Does that make much of a difference in coverage in Hyderabad? The network signal inside our house is much better than Airtel though.

Another question I have is can I move to Postpaid Airtel to Prepaid Jio? Also, can I become a Prime member now? If so, what is the process?

1st of all u can port your number from postpaid to prepaid or from prepaid to postpaid in any company there is no rule for that.

As for prime once you port your number to Jio and once it's activated on Jio network you will have to do a recharge 99 plus what ever pack u want. That 99 recharge is for prime membership.

One thing before you port to Jio as you stated you are using a phone which does not support VoLTE be sure you will not be able to use it on Jio network for calls for making calls you will have to use a app named Jio4gvoice.

I was on voda for years, moved to airtel recently, just last week I went to Jio store to port to Jio prepaid from Airtel postpaid. Airtel reception suddenly degraded after Jio's entry. Currently it is just wastage of money to have post paid plans.

1st of all u can port your number from postpaid to prepaid or from prepaid to postpaid in any company there is no rule for that.

As for prime once you port your number to Jio and once it's activated on Jio network you will have to do a recharge 99 plus what ever pack u want. That 99 recharge is for prime membership.

One thing before you port to Jio as you stated you are using a phone which does not support VoLTE be sure you will not be able to use it on Jio network for calls for making calls you will have to use a app named Jio4gvoice.
Thanks a lot for the information.

Hi,

I have been an Airtel postpaid customer for 12 years now. There network coverage in my residential area is very poor and they are doing nothing about it. So, finally, I have decided to move away from from Airtel. My wife has Jio which has great signal inside our house.

My phone (Moto X Force) is not VOLTE. It is only 4G LTE. Does that make much of a difference in coverage in Hyderabad? The network signal inside our house is much better than Airtel though.

Another question I have is can I move to Postpaid Airtel to Prepaid Jio? Also, can I become a Prime member now? If so, what is the process?
Sorry man completely deviated from topic. Yes you can do all of hat :)

Do these companies treat post paid and prepaid customers differently? Do the post paid customers get any preferential treatment for paying more than the prepaid customers in terms of preferential connectivity and better bandwidth etc?

BTW, I am yet to get my PORT out reference number. It is almost 10 hours since I SMSed them. They called me and tried to retain me as their customer.

Do these companies treat post paid and prepaid customers differently? Do the post paid customers get any preferential treatment for paying more than the prepaid customers in terms of preferential connectivity and better bandwidth etc?

BTW, I am yet to get my PORT out reference number. It is almost 10 hours since I SMSed them. They called me and tried to retain me as their customer.
It's instant u don't need to wait, Something is wrong if u have not received the porting code.

Ditto that. You sms port xxxxxxxxxx to 1900 and the system replies with the UPC in an sms. the retention call back from the CC comes later.

what is the use of porting to JIO when you don't have VOLTE capable phone? Either port to any other company like Vodafone or Idea or get a VOLTE capable phone before porting to JIO

Not exactly. You get certain benefits with postpaid, vs prepaid like data rollover, and payment of 12 billing cycles vs 13 prepaid, so if you are a company, and get GST ITC, it makes sense to push for postpaid - else prepaid is better. Again, with prepaid, they give Jio like schemes of 84 days and so on, which you will not get with postpaid yet.

But the retailers will push you to go for postpaid, since they (I presume) get a higher commission vs prepaid. They may make some claims which are time limited and not for life.

what is the use of porting to JIO when you don't have VOLTE capable phone? Either port to any other company like Vodafone or Idea or get a VOLTE capable phone before porting to JIO

JIO does work on all LTE phones apparently but with a catch. For example on my phone, I had to install the Jio4GVoice to receive and make calls. The catch is that I need to be always on Jio Data network. This means I cannot make or receive calls when I am on home Wifi though I receive missed call SMS alerts.

So, for Jio to work with a Wifi on one needs a VoLTE phone. This really pisses me off considering that my 50K rupees Moto X Force is capable of VoLTE but Motorola / Lenova just does not want to enable VoLTE.

JIO does work on all LTE phones apparently but with a catch. For example on my phone, I had to install the Jio4GVoice to receive and make calls. The catch is that I need to be always on Jio Data network. This means I cannot make or receive calls when I am on home Wifi though I receive missed call SMS alerts.

So, for Jio to work with a Wifi on one needs a VoLTE phone. This really pisses me off considering that my 50K rupees Moto X Force is capable of VoLTE but Motorola / Lenova just does not want to enable VoLTE.

That is what i am saying, why go for a "with a catch" option? why go for a compromised option for something as basic and important as phone calls? I have seen many people crying and saying they are missing calls with non-VOLTE phones as the jiovoice app is not 100%, either get a VOLTE capable phone or go for other options like Idea or Vodafone.

In case you are ok with mediocre and handicapped service then why not stay with Airtel itself, it does not make any sense to jump from one inconvenience to another inconvenience.

That is what i am saying, why go for a "with a catch" option? why go for a compromised option for something as basic and important as phone calls? I have seen many people crying and saying they are missing calls with non-VOLTE phones as the jiovoice app is not 100%, either get a VOLTE capable phone or go for other options like Idea or Vodafone.

In case you are ok with mediocre and handicapped service then why not stay with Airtel itself, it does not make any sense to jump from one inconvenience to another inconvenience.

Agree 100%. The problem is in the country of blind the one eyed man is the king. So far Airtel has been that King. All other networks even worse than Airtel. Anyway, I have now placed order for One Plus 5T. (I know it is lame but subconsciously I probably was looking for an excuse....)

Agree 100%. The problem is in the country of blind the one eyed man is the king. So far Airtel has been that King. All other networks even worse than Airtel. Anyway, I have now placed order for One Plus 5T. (I know it is lame but subconsciously I probably was looking for an excuse....)
Big fat excuse yes :)[DOUBLEPOST=1512081856][/DOUBLEPOST]
One thing to note is that your prime validity would only be till 31-march-2018 (ported last week, and that's what it shows for me)
Same here. As per current tariffs Jio is Rs. 175 a month (including prime fee) VS Rs. 590 a month I was paying for Airtel few weeks ago. That is a straight saving of around 5k a year with everything better : service/connectivity/internet. No brainer. Jio FTW![DOUBLEPOST=1512081922][/DOUBLEPOST]
Jio network is better than Airtel for me and they keep on improving.

Back