Airtel introduces ‘V-Fiber’ tech for fixed broadband to offer 100 Mbps speeds

Bharti Airtel has introduced ‘V-Fiber’ for its fixed broadband, a technology capable of delivering speeds of up to 100 Mbps. Airtel is the first operator in India to deploy Vectorization. To experience the benefits of ‘V-Fiber’, the customers need to upgrade to a new modem.

The customers can upgrade to ‘V-Fiber’ speeds with their current plan and there will be no extra monthly cost involved. For an assurance, Airtel promises to refund the modem charges (the amount will be adjusted in the next bill cycle), if the customer is not happy with the new ‘V-Fiber’ technology. The new customers will get unlimited three months trial offer.

“‘V-Fiber’ will transform the home broadband for Airtel customers with consistently super fast data speeds and enable HD video streaming, heavy file downloads, and uploads in a multi-device environment (over Wi-Fi),” said a release from the company.

Commenting on the ‘V-Fiber’ technology, Ajai Puri, Director – Operations, Bharti Airtel said, “India is witnessing an explosive growth in data usage and a lot of in-home data consumption is happening over fixed broadband that offers consistent speeds. Airtel has always innovated ahead of the curve and offered its customers best-in-class broadband technology and experience.”

With ‘V-Fiber’ and our national optic fiber backbone, we are all set to offer a future-ready network for tomorrow’s digitally connected homes. This solution, besides reducing our carbon footprint, offers a very quick and convenient upgrade to the customer. We are also delighted to launch our innovative myHome Rewards and unlimited free voice calling facility for our customers,” he added.

From today, the offering is live in Chennai and it will be rolled out across other networks in the coming weeks.

Airtel Unlimited Free Voice Calling

As a launch offer, Airtel also offers unlimited free voice calling for all broadband customers. “The facility is now available across broadband plans and customers can make unlimited free voice calls to any network across the country at no extra cost,” Airtel said in a statement released today.

Airtel ‘myHome Rewards’ program

There is already ‘myHome Rewards’ program for Airtel broadband customers. Under this, customers get free additional data benefit of 5GB per month for every other Airtel service connection – postpaid mobile or digital TV (DTH) – within the home/family. Both existing, as well as new Airtel postpaid mobile and digital TV connections, can avail this. To say, Airtel broadband home with two Airtel postpaid mobiles and one Airtel digital TV connection can get 15 GB free additional data to their broadband account every month.
Source

Airtel has always innovated ahead of the curve*

* Impending the nudge from new players in the circuit like Jio.

Only in chennai for now. Anyway this will just finish up the FUP in no time. They should also increase the FUP data limits. No cost of modem revelaed on site, lets see. I have registered for a enquiry

Reads the above crap.

Yawns!

Yawns again!

Airtel always tries to sell outdated crap as Brand New technology or innovation. Routine.

A BIG YAWN!

yawning-smiley-face.png

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.5 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
^^ If that's true, then it's on par with ACT (at least in Chennai), the difference being irrespective of the money we pay, everyone gets 100Mbps speeds. Still, I'll stick on with ACT!

I don't know from where Airtel hires its marketing team! So many plans?

Speaking technically, Airtel has managed to keep the PER GB cost at the same level at ₹10 like ACT.

Which is astonishing actually! :D But the Post FUP speed of 512kbps :p

This is the same technology Craptel is using now to provide 100mbit/s speeds: https://networks.nokia.com/solutions/vdsl2-vectoring and it's not Fiber!!

Terms and conditions:

caJZ0A9.png

Last edited:
Yes this is VDSL2, not fiber. Will be using your existing copper lines. Vectoring only reduces crosstalk if there are multiple VDSL connections from the same box and helps you get closer to the theoretical speed. They should've stuck to their earlier claims of 40Mbps, because the 100Mbps theoretical max sounds highly unlikely. If you're already on a true fiber connection, then don't bother.
I'm not sure why their marketing team is trying to mislead with the 'fiber' term, but I guess nobody would consider it if they mentioned xDSL.
In any case, VDSL2 has a much shorter range than ADSL, which requires Airtel to still pull up fiber at least to the street you're on (FTTC), and people in Chennai are seeing these boxes on their street. Using copper + VDSL2 is more of a last mile connectivity solution till they can bring fiber home. This should have enabled a quicker rollout, but as expected in spite of them saying it's available in Chennai, there are very few people who have actually got it.

The modem is a Huawei HG630a which supports both VDSL2 and ADSL (and uses a Broadcom chipset). Apparently it costs 1000 bucks, and they will split it into 5 installments of 200 which they will add to your monthly bill. Would've been a nice option if they had offered this much earlier for some of us still on ADSL who tend to replace modems now and then.

There are only 5 plans listed on the Airtel site for Chennai - 50, 75, 100, 125 and 200GB FUP.

I wonder who will take this when we've got speeds up to 100mbps with lucrative long period schemes such as extra GB's on ACT.
- Uploads also included.
- Unlimited calls also pretty much useless from next month because of their daddy Jio.

For Hyderabad:

oIpK5yl.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the only advantage you will have with Airtel is that you have landline calling free which again is not a big deal.
I am using ACT and even i agree that the plans are not comparable with ACT even at the same cost.
Other advantage for AIRTEL is that post FUP speeds are better than ACT
Overall its a close call i believe

Airtel service in case of any outage is much better than ACT as of now, though ACT has been getting better over the last few months.

I am paying spectranet 1800 for 50mbps 10MS 1tb FUP-its twice cheap compared to U.S, Russia, Great Britain.

Can't begin to imagine the point of 200gb FUP on a 110mbps connection. It will be gone hours

Other advantage for AIRTEL is that post FUP speeds are better than ACT
Overall its a close call i believe
Hyderabad? No.. Same POST FUP.

Airtel service in case of any outage is much better than ACT as of now, though ACT has been getting better over the last few months.
Cannot comment on other cities.. Hyderabad, my connection is not even down for a minute after May rains disaster.. wait that's like 7 months of NO downtime :D
I am paying spectranet 1800 for 50mbps 10MS 1tb FUP-its twice cheap compared to U.S, Russia, Great Britain.

Can't begin to imagine the point of 200gb FUP on a 110mbps connection. It will be gone hours
Spectra is supposed to be unlimited. 1TB FUP is your assumption or unofficial limits?

Anyone using the v fiber? How are the speeds? Currently airtel is offering the new modem for rs.1000 (Rs.200 split across 5 billing cycles)
My DL speed is 16Mbps but UL sucks and tops out at 1Mbps.
Anyone using this new modem? If so what are the DL and UL speeds. Will opt for it even if UL improves to 8Mbps.

Last edited:
Back