A noob's guide on buying consoles!

Re: A newbies Guide to which console to get!

neoronin said:
Excellent guide for choosing a console. Would be great if you can also add the cloud computing which is possible in PS3 and the usage of regular keyboard & mouse. Also the pairing of PSP with PS3 for watching movies & playing PSN games.
Added the first 2, didn't add the last one as that'd require another console.

Fahrenheit said:
Nice guide but i can't believe u didn't list God Of War 3 as one of the must play exclusives on the PS3.
Umm, okay done :p

superb work mate .
I am planning to get a ps3 for games motogp 10 & 11 ,sbk ,and for crysis2
I don't like ps3 controller .
is it possible to use usb keyboard and mouse for gaming ?

^Nope. Not all games support the USB keyboard and mouse OOTB. Some do and for the rest you will need an additional accessory.

neojjjk said:
superb work mate .

I am planning to get a ps3 for games motogp 10 & 11 ,sbk ,and for crysis2

I don't like ps3 controller .

is it possible to use usb keyboard and mouse for gaming ?
Very few (good) games like UT3 (officially) support it.

But if you do not like the PS3 controller but DO like the 360 controller, theres an adapter which allows you to play on the PS3 with a 360 (wired) controller.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

After searching around for a while, i came across a device for the PS3 called the "Eagle Eye" which allows you to play "ALL" PS3 games via a USB mouse and keyboard. I dunno how good or bad it is, but i've linked a few sites below, check it out for yourself.

Mouse and Keyboard Support for all PS3 Games using Eagle Eye

t3ch review - Eagle Eye PS3 USB*Adapter - Okay Geek

Penguin United’s Eagle Eye Converter for PS3 | Review (Device)

Great guide.

Also include how xbox 360 controller can be used on ps3 by modding - ps360 :D

chiru said:
Great guide.

Also include how xbox 360 controller can be used on ps3 by modding - ps360 :D
Thanks but i don't think its an add worthy piece of knowledge...

Hi, I'm actually not a gamer, it's just a timepass for me, like when I've nothing to do I play few stages, so it's like that.

I played few titles like:

NFS Most Wanted (Completed It)

NFS Shift (Didn't liked it, uninstalled after 2 hours)

Prince of Persia (Whole series but only few steps)

Tomb Raider (Completed 1, but played few steps on 2)

Call of Duty (Played whole series and completed each and every one, I liked it most)

etc...can't recall any more.

So now I'm actually planning to get a console, after reading this whole thread, it looks like they are much higher prices than my price bracket.

I thought it'd be 2000/- or so, and after looking at the prices I was shocked. Now please don't laugh at me, I really don't have any idea about gaming or consoles.

I've a 8bit console on which I used to play Mario and all, but it's not of any use now, the PCB burned I guess many years ago.

So do you think should I get a console?? Does consoles supports all these games?? Or should I just continue playing few steps on PC. Well, if I get console then also I'm not going to play more than few steps, but still.

Well, after looking at the prices I think I can afford PS2, but people says it's coming to end, so will it be a good option to go for it if I go for consoles??

One more thing, I don't know will asking for it harm my reputation like banned or infraction, but the thing is I'm not going to buy games. Ya if they are priced at Rs. 100/- or so, it's ok. Otherwise I won't go up than that for buying games.

So please suggest.

Thanks for the information. Planning to go for PS3. trying to get it from US. ($350+tax) much cheaper than India. Only worry being the region codes for the BD-media. Is there any way out for playing BD-media from India

Ok, Thanks for the suggestion and saving my money..!! :p

Actually I wanted to get my hands on it, and I like when peoples attach racing wheels and play racing games. So I wanted to experience that :p

krishnandu said:
Ok, Thanks for the suggestion and saving my money..!! :p

Actually I wanted to get my hands on it, and I like when peoples attach racing wheels and play racing games. So I wanted to experience that :p
I hope you know that good racing wheels cost upwards of 5000 bucks? :p

you know u can actually try psp. its portable and lot of fun, can also be used as portable media player. retail price is around 9k i guess

krishnandu said:
Hi, I'm actually not a gamer, it's just a timepass for me, like when I've nothing to do I play few stages, so it's like that.

I played few titles like:
NFS Most Wanted (Completed It)
NFS Shift (Didn't liked it, uninstalled after 2 hours)
Prince of Persia (Whole series but only few steps)
Tomb Raider (Completed 1, but played few steps on 2)
Call of Duty (Played whole series and completed each and every one, I liked it most)
etc...can't recall any more.

So now I'm actually planning to get a console, after reading this whole thread, it looks like they are much higher prices than my price bracket.

I thought it'd be 2000/- or so, and after looking at the prices I was shocked. Now please don't laugh at me, I really don't have any idea about gaming or consoles.

I've a 8bit console on which I used to play Mario and all, but it's not of any use now, the PCB burned I guess many years ago.

So do you think should I get a console?? Does consoles supports all these games?? Or should I just continue playing few steps on PC. Well, if I get console then also I'm not going to play more than few steps, but still.

Well, after looking at the prices I think I can afford PS2, but people says it's coming to end, so will it be a good option to go for it if I go for consoles??

One more thing, I don't know will asking for it harm my reputation like banned or infraction, but the thing is I'm not going to buy games. Ya if they are priced at Rs. 100/- or so, it's ok. Otherwise I won't go up than that for buying games.

So please suggest.

I ordered PS3 320 Gb with Killzone 3 free and and a extra controller from Flipkart for my brother in law. Getting all this for Rs.22000.

Aman you are a life saver i have been searching the entire internet for the comparison and you have helped to finally come to a thought of buying a PS3 instead of Xbox 360. I am getting the 160GB version of PS3 on my birthday thats in august :) I would not update my pc as i got a new bravia 46" so it will be better to get a console and enjoy the games. Thanks again brother. +1

prakhar said:
I ordered PS3 320 Gb with Killzone 3 free and and a extra controller from Flipkart for my brother in law. Getting all this for Rs.22000.
Good price!

rajveersingh09 said:
Aman you are a life saver i have been searching the entire internet for the comparison and you have helped to finally come to a thought of buying a PS3 instead of Xbox 360. I am getting the 160GB version of PS3 on my birthday thats in august :) I would not update my pc as i got a new bravia 46" so it will be better to get a console and enjoy the games. Thanks again brother. +1
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback, and i made this thread to help fellow gamers :)

Back