Graphic Cards 6870---->280 (not X) expert advice?

rahulpayne

Disciple
Hello experts,

What performance gain i ll get if i upgrade my GC from 6870 to 280 . would really appreciate ur suggestion.
Wanna play upcoming games at higher settings @1080
I am getting 280 (not X) from USA
and I play FPS games.

My Config.
===========
Phenom II X4--- I know its bottleneck
DDR2 6 GB--- I dont think it matters 3 or 2

Last edited:
I have the non X 280 card from Asus (DCU II). I upgraded from 4770 so that comparison is useless. But I can tell you that I am playing Far Cry 3 @ 1080p everything maxe out and its super smooth. I only checked fraps initially and I was getting high 40s to high 50s fps. I'll probably start playing the COD : Advanced Warfare very soon so unless you are in a hurry, I can update here about the fps from that game.

Thanks sabby for reply.

40 50 maxed out that's great.. can you post your framespersec for advance war fighter..?

Could you also tell me what processor and Ram u have... ? And what fps u were getting earlier with 4770...Do you advice upgrading ?

I am upgrading GPU only for farcry COD and GTA .. dont wanna spend on mobo ram and CPU . Waiting for a good generation jump... PCI ex 4 ( i know its not worth) DDR 4( marginal gain in fps) and sata express ( SSD are costly)

My config is i5 4460 in H97 mobo + 8GB + 256Gb SSD. I don't think your cpu would be a significant bottleneck, may be 10% less fps max. And 6870 was a pretty good card. I think you can play Far Cry 3 in fairly high settings in your machine. Just try it once and if you feel its not upto the mark, you can upgrade.

I have recently built a i5 4440 + 8GB DDR3 + 280x on a H85 board. And feel the CPU is somewhat a bottleneck. I'd recommend you to upgrade CPU + MB + RAM before upgrading the GPU.

Thats great rig!

I was referring to to upcoming games COD AW farcry 4 and GTA5 once i thought of getting a console.. but FPS games are meant for PC.

@ Neo

Thank for your suggestion. But is it worth... My PC still can play most of the games . Spending another 30k (Excluding GPU) for 10% performance for few games doesn't makes sense to me . I wont mind "somewhat" if i get more fps by upgrading GPU only.

Thats great rig!

I was referring to to upcoming games COD AW farcry 4 and GTA5 once i thought of getting a console.. but FPS games are meant for PC.

@ Neo

Thank for your suggestion. But is it worth... My PC still can play most of the games . Spending another 30k (Excluding GPU) for 10% performance for few games doesn't makes sense to me . I wont mind "somewhat" if i get more fps by upgrading GPU only.

My point was
1. Upgrading the GPU might not give the same amount of fps bump that the GPU is actually capable of, if there is a CPU bottleneck
2. Day by day as CPU architectures are improving developers are using more and more CPU computes in games. Sheer clock speed doesn't dictate performance of any processors. One of the examples is the cases where Intel processors fare better than higher clocked AMD CPUs.
3. Upgrading the CPU and RAM will possibly give you a similar performance jump as you'd have with an underutilised (upgraded) GPU. And on top of that you'd increase the longevity of your PC.

Well this was just an opinion. I'd faced such situation in the past when I had upgraded to a 9800GT with a relatively older CPU and RAM combo. Since then I had moved from PC gaming to consoles. And now I have moved back to PC. But whatever you decide, happy gaming :)

Back