Storage Solutions 5TB from Amazon global.

Wtf kinda shit packing is this? What is that white box? The usb3 dock?

Who is the seller? Give a negative feedback about the packing.

Amazon is the seller. Both came from the Bangalore hub. My fears came true. Windows recognised the drive but fails to format it in the dock. Then I put the drive in the comp and again same problem. The drive is making weird noises when it starts or stops and windows disk management hangs. Any disk management software like Seatools, CrystaldiskInfo etc all hang since they cant read the drive. Even Seagate disk info software does not see the disk.

Edit: Now its not visible even in bios too.
Disk is confirmed dead. :(

Last edited:
Amazon is the seller. Both came from the Bangalore hub. My fears came true. Windows recognised the drive but fails to format it in the dock. Then I put the drive in the comp and again same problem. The drive is making weird noises when it starts or stops and windows disk management hangs. Any disk management software like Seatools, CrystaldiskInfo etc all hang since they cant read the drive. Even Seagate disk info software does not see the disk.

Edit: Now its not visible even in bios too.
Disk is confirmed dead. :(

Ahhhh.....

As you already ask for refund/replacement I hope - Please make sure you give negative feedback about product packaging as well....Product is DOA as their carelessness.

Heh heh, the replacement came in that HDD clam shell in one of those plain plastic bags meant for SD cards or other small objects. No bubble wrap or anything to dampen shock to it. Just feeling the clam shell seems it's bent in one or two places. :eek:

Not visible in bios, not visible in Seatools but visible in Windows Disk Management and Crystal Disk Info. Windows Disk management only shows 3.86GB but in Crystal Disk Info it shows as 137GB. Very weird.
I changed ports and cables too just to make sure it was not my comp. BTW, I get i/o error while trying to initialize the disk and a quick google search pointed me to hdd being failed.
2nd bad Seagate HDD from Amazon Mar2017_01.PNG

2nd bad Seagate HDD from Amazon Mar2017_01-diskinfo2.png

I'm fedup of Amazon sending bad hard drives. Will return this for full refund. And will give 1 star rating to the seller Cloudtail.

My guess is they're also getting the HDDs in a bulk packing box. Like this or this. And once they take a single drive from that, they don't have anything to pack it in. They should be procuring foam shells for shipping single drives. Really moronic for such a big company to be doing something like this.

What wastage of Money & Resource for Amazon IN and that too the seller like Cloudtail - Long time ago I bought WD 4TB Red drive from them - Comes with the excellent foam base shock proof enclosure with the thick cardboard box which is inside the Amazon IN cardboard enclosure.

What a degradation of service.

Waste of time and money for everyone involved. Waste of time for me. Waste of ink while printing return forms twice. Waste of time & petrol for delivery guys who could have used their time to pickup or deliver stuff to someone else. Waste of money for Cloudtail or retailer who uses Cloudtail for selling the hdd's. Waste of time for seller to send back the dead hdd's to the service center. All because the packing people did'nt do their jobs the first time properly. Just 3-4 layers of bubble wrap or one sheet of styrofoam would have saved everyone the trouble. Even a few sheets of news paper would have helped. :|

Damn. Just realised that I'll have to wait a week or two just to see the money come back to my cc. I have to pay my cc bill in few days too. Imagine how many bad hdd's the seller must be getting back and how much money is stuck of his. So just one small mistake has snowballed in a lot of directions.

Why did you buy a portable when you were originally looking to expand your desktop's storage right?

Did you get a refund on the amazon?

Why did you buy a portable when you were originally looking to expand your desktop's storage right?

Did you get a refund on the amazon?

Yeah, Amazon refunded me the amount. I was originally looking only for any storage that was cheap. 5TB from USA was first choice. Then my bad hdd went even more bad and I didn't have time to wait for something coming from the USA. So I went with the 3TB internal cause 4TB externals were selling for 11.5 - 12k everywhere. Two failed internal HDD's due to bad packing made me get the 4TB external which was on sale on FK. To cut it short I was looking at best price per GB while buying.

No, what i meant is a portable 2.5" drive cost roughly double that of a 3.5" desktop external. Or you could get roughly twice the storage for the same amount of money. Last time i checked at least...

Back