5.1 speakers for home entertainment

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I am planning to buy 5.1 channel speakers that can be connected to my TV, & DTH box. Please advise the brand and model number within the budget of around 6k. It should have all the possible connectivity option (ports) to be connected with TV & DTH box.

I would prefer smaller size satellite speakers as it will be better for wall mounting.

Pls advise....

F&D 6000 for ur budget. I have it and its great.

F6000 is good as well, but i think it has only RCA ports for connection (but on the other hand, the z506 also doesn't have any optical/co-axial port, though it does have individual signal carry-over 3.5 mm ports. so rather, OP should not expect wide connectivity options at his budget). also, F6000 is a little out-of-the-budget for the OP, and logitech's 2 -yr. warranty is a good advantage as well, as compared to F&D's 1-yr.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. This connectivity part is tricky for me and I admit that I lack much knowledge on this subject. Would need help for setting up the system.

Following is the connectivity option photos that is available on my tv and settop box.

Samsung 40EH6030 3D LED TV
Q8I0G1v.jpg

Videocon D2H HD settop box (model# 2222) ( Videocon CC said that its SPDIF port need to be connected with co-axial port of the speakers)
IeBMtQu.jpg

Pls help me in suggesting the speaker models which can be connected with my setup. The task is to get the 5.1 digital HD sound quality out of the TV and settop box.

Videocon provide the 5.1 dolby digital sound on some of its channels and I also have some movies with 5.1 sound in USB drive which can be connected directly to the TV.

Otherwise how is F&D F3000U 5.1 Channel Multimedia Speakers [link]http://www.flipkart.com/f-d-f3000u-...,,,,,&gclid=CPO-_qiItroCFbF34god3hAASg[/link] or Edifier Speaker 5.1-M3500 [link]http://www.snapdeal.com/product/EdifierSpe/36078?utm_source=earth_feed&utm_campaign=7_630[/link]

logitech z506 also looks good, does it comes with wireless remote control and individual controls for the speakers?

you can connect your TV and the STB to your speakers through the RCA ports (component audio; the red and white ones). but these will be analogue. for digital sound, you need to connect through the optical/SPDIF port. if watching movies through the TV, you will have to connect through the RCA ones, as i can't see an optical port there. with the STB however, you could get the digital sound output, ie, only through the SPDIF-out. but, at your budget, i think it would be very tough to get a system with an optical port. the one that comes with it and is the cheapest i think is the logitech z906, and it costs upward of 10k.

The Logitechs won't decode Dolby for you and the F&D build quality is subpar. Either ways Logitech is a better choice over F&D. Bear in mind getting a better 2.1 is better than a shitty 5.1. Unless you use an amp with decodes for Dolby and DTS the 5.1 speakers will throw sound randomly from all speakers without true effects.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

you can connect your TV and the STB to your speakers through the RCA ports (component audio; the red and white ones). but these will be analogue. for digital sound, you need to connect through the optical/SPDIF port. if watching movies through the TV, you will have to connect through the RCA ones, as i can't see an optical port there. with the STB however, you could get the digital sound output, ie, only through the SPDIF-out. but, at your budget, i think it would be very tough to get a system with an optical port. the one that comes with it and is the cheapest i think is the logitech z906, and it costs upward of 10k.
When I called the Videocon CC, they said I need to purchase SPDIF to coaxial cable and connect SPDIF port of the settop box with the coaxial port of the speakers. I assume when you say optical you mean coaxial port. Is that right?
Also , if I have a movie with movie with 5.1 HD Dolby digital sound in USB/HDD, then is there no way I can get it through speakers?

F&D F6000U is the best option you got.
try Flipkart (link) - their prices varies from 6300 to 9500 (it changes almost everyday. How do I know? ) - so wait for few days.
How to connect to TV/STB? Try this - Coaxila to RCA connector - it'd get the TV/STB digital output to fit into the cheapo 5.1 :p
Thanks buddy for the price tracker link.:) At almost 9k, F6000u also lacks coaxial port! :( Flipkart is does not mention the available connectivity ports in the speakers in the product specification?

The Logitechs won't decode Dolby for you and the F&D build quality is subpar. Either ways Logitech is a better choice over F&D. Bear in mind getting a better 2.1 is better than a shitty 5.1. Unless you use an amp with decodes for Dolby and DTS the 5.1 speakers will throw sound randomly from all speakers without true effects.
I think I am able to get the feeling that either I have to raise my budget or have to settle for 2.1 speakers. I do not want to go in for the speakers that instead of giving surround sound, throws sounds randomly from the speakers. That would useless !

Which would be the cheapest and good 5.1 speaker model with coaxial/optical port and the ones that can decode Dolby? Apart from it are their any other port that need to be there in the speakers to get 5.1 HD dolby digital quality sound?

If I have to settle for 2.1, then which are the good speakers which can give Dolby digital quality sound and also have coaxial and other connectivity option? ( do we have option between 2.1 and 5.1 speakers i.e 3.1 or 4.1?)

the videocon stb should have rca ports as well. any user here might be able to tell. you can get the surround-effects from a budget 5.1 system too, as their amps have Dolby ProLogic II decoder, but its more of a makeshift way of processing digital surround-sound, as against the superior processed audio-output from AVRs (with their digital ports). but even then, with a few movies having fantastic sound-fx (for instance, 'master & commander'), the surround-sound is still quite enjoyable on a budget set-up as well.

To get 5.1 from TV you need a STB with multi channel non digital output OR optical out and amp or speakers with dolby decoders which is not in the F&D and in many low end 5.1 speakers so get a good 2.1 (you will loose center channel for vocals) OR you'll end up spending a lot more money. Logitech Z906 is an option but it sucks for music.
PS: Dolby as of now is only on few channels, imo it is not worth it lol...

Last edited:
Yes, another option is to get Logitech Z506 and be done with it.
the videocon stb should have rca ports as well. any user here might be able to tell. you can get the surround-effects from a budget 5.1 system too, as their amps have Dolby ProLogic II decoder, but its more of a makeshift way of processing digital surround-sound, as against the superior processed audio-output from AVRs (with their digital ports). but even then, with a few movies having fantastic sound-fx (for instance, 'master & commander'), the surround-sound is still quite enjoyable on a budget set-up as well.

Back