4 TB WD Red Died in 2.5 years

Higher temps wont necessarily hamper disk life. What you need is a well ventilated cabinet and proper airflow design within with your inflows and outflow fans channelled descently.

Except for winters when my primary 6 drives idle under 40°c, for rest of 8 months they do it 45°c and even 48°c. All drives are between 3yrs-8yrs age and no health, performance or any sectors issues till date.

Cooling is only via big front 230mm cm stock fan which is almost sitting to the drive bays.
No other specific disk drive targeted cooling done as cabinet itself is big and ventilated with proper fan installations.

Even after having best cooling, my idle room temps except winters is around 36-38°c feel and 42°c+ during summers so no doubt any cooling gonna fail unless watered or N20.

For data loss, last year during this exact period one of my VVVVIP drives f#cked up automatically (i have last yrs thread with full description). It was 500gb drive with the utmost important, critical & crucial data of me and my family of past 13yrs.
The first partitions got merged into one another within 2 disks with scattered random drive letters. The needless data wasnt affected at all but my precious one vanished off without any trace. What left was only the folder skeleton with no files within and some folders had files were all unreadable and corrupted.
It was a suicidal case for me as it was a massive setback for us.

Seemed some serious MBR issue. I fired my all trustworthy data recovery tools and never ever happened they werent showing me the last partitions of the drive, but everything before that. This was technically impossible and hard to believe in my years of data recovery exp. All recoveries on multiple settings proved a massive fail. No luck.
Finally fixed the mbr and again fired data recovery & it did show the last partitions but all corruption within data. No luck again.

Did windows chkdsk and found my data within chkdsk files which i had to gather bit by bit. Was able to recover and gather 92% of data.

In my scene data was never fiddled with no hardware issue. It happened all of a sudden with no clue or warnings. Os corrupted the mbr for why and what is still a mystery.
Disk health and all reports were 100% as well.

This was my 7th but the most horrifying of all data recovery incident ever done.
40hrs of nonstop battle finally won.

Learnt a very crucial lesson so now replicating data over multiple storages.

If disk is detecting & showing in Os there's 100% chances of self data recovery without the need of datalabs and money involved.

Got the quote from Stellar for data recovery.Hard pass on the price of a GTX 2080 Ti.

:eek:, 1.14 LAKH. data recovery is an awesome business i guess. sit and watch comp recover data and earn in lakhs.

getting extra hdd's to backup data seems less costly than paying these guys imo.

:eek:, 1.14 LAKH. data recovery is an awesome business i guess. sit and watch comp recover data and earn in lakhs.

getting extra hdd's to backup data seems less costly than paying these guys imo.
I don't think its that easy as my drive was not getting detected in Live ubuntu as well as UEFI.
It was making a scratching sound as well. I guess they will have to do the recovery platter by platter in a clean room.
But the pricing is enterprise class out of the reach of us mere mortals.

Will be putting my rig together in a CM Elite 130 in 2-3 weeks once I return from an office trip.
Got an idea as to hard drive placement from here-
https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/cooler-master-elite-130-review/2/

I will be putting in my OS SSD in the 5.25 bay(which can hold 2x2.5 or 1x3.5) as shown below-
elite-130-11-300x292.jpg

The 2.5" 1 TB Hitachi HDD(Retired OS Drive) will be hung below the 5.25 bay where they have a 2.5" mounting point as per HardwareCanucks.

The 2x8TB WD Red drives(using two-way mirror i.e. software RAID via Windows Storage Spaces) will be mounted here(bottom mounting and in lieu of the SSD) so that they get incoming airflow from the front 120 mm fan-
elite-130-15-300x292.jpg

The case can mount a 3.5" HDD in the 5.25 bay but I am not keen on using that as it has little airflow-
elite-130-12-300x292.jpg

My mobo (AsRock J4205 mini-ITX) has only 4 SATA ports which are all used up.

Later on I might get a IO Crest SY-PEX40039 PCIEx1 to 2x SATA card to expand storage
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B005B0A6ZS...olid=3D1ROZO1APM6W&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I will be putting in the PSU with the intake fan pointing downwards so that it sucks air from the case interior.

As per reviews the PSU should be mounted with the intake fan pointing upwards for better CPU temps but I don't want to do that due to dust and my CPU is a fanless Pentium anyways.
upload_2018-9-21_17-13-0.png

The bottom HDD mounting space of the cabinet is not used very well to ensure unhindered airflow for more powerful rigs.
elite-130-16-300x292.jpg

I searched a lot for a mounting bracket to mount a 2x or 3x drives here to use the space better as my CPU is an embedded fanless quad-core 1.5 Ghz Intel Pentium J4205 part which sips 10W for the mobo+CPU.
I first picked this option which I planned to attach to the case floor by drilling holes or with heavy duty velcro.

https://store.coolermaster.com/apac/mastercase-5-hdd-cage-2-bay-35

Couldn't find it anywhere in India at sane rates but then found a seemingly cleaner option-
https://www.logicsupply.com/akhdr-mk15x/
upload_2018-9-21_16-59-42.png

This thing is very expensive at 30 USD for two sets and on top of that its 48 USD for shipping via DHL i.e. 80$ in total for 2 tiny pieces of steel. I had shipped my J4205 from newegg using DHL before the Make In India brouhaha and they caused a lot of hiccups at customs clearance.

Anybody have any better idea to use the floor for extra HDD's?

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_17-12-31.png
    upload_2018-9-21_17-12-31.png
    243 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Higher temps wont necessarily hamper disk life. What you need is a well ventilated cabinet and proper airflow design within with your inflows and outflow fans channelled descently.

Except for winters when my primary 6 drives idle under 40°c, for rest of 8 months they do it 45°c and even 48°c. All drives are between 3yrs-8yrs age and no health, performance or any sectors issues till date.

Cooling is only via big front 230mm cm stock fan which is almost sitting to the drive bays.
No other specific disk drive targeted cooling done as cabinet itself is big and ventilated with proper fan installations.

Even after having best cooling, my idle room temps except winters is around 36-38°c feel and 42°c+ during summers so no doubt any cooling gonna fail unless watered or N20.

For data loss, last year during this exact period one of my VVVVIP drives f#cked up automatically (i have last yrs thread with full description). It was 500gb drive with the utmost important, critical & crucial data of me and my family of past 13yrs.
The first partitions got merged into one another within 2 disks with scattered random drive letters. The needless data wasnt affected at all but my precious one vanished off without any trace. What left was only the folder skeleton with no files within and some folders had files were all unreadable and corrupted.
It was a suicidal case for me as it was a massive setback for us.

Seemed some serious MBR issue. I fired my all trustworthy data recovery tools and never ever happened they werent showing me the last partitions of the drive, but everything before that. This was technically impossible and hard to believe in my years of data recovery exp. All recoveries on multiple settings proved a massive fail. No luck.
Finally fixed the mbr and again fired data recovery & it did show the last partitions but all corruption within data. No luck again.

Did windows chkdsk and found my data within chkdsk files which i had to gather bit by bit. Was able to recover and gather 92% of data.

In my scene data was never fiddled with no hardware issue. It happened all of a sudden with no clue or warnings. Os corrupted the mbr for why and what is still a mystery.
Disk health and all reports were 100% as well.

This was my 7th but the most horrifying of all data recovery incident ever done.
40hrs of nonstop battle finally won.

Learnt a very crucial lesson so now replicating data over multiple storages.

If disk is detecting & showing in Os there's 100% chances of self data recovery without the need of datalabs and money involved.

This is too scary for me to imagine.Jeez....

Got lazy with the updates here.
Got the Elite 130 and set up my gear there.

Components

AsRock J4205 Mini-ITX fanless CPU Mobo combo
Corsair Value Select 8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3L RAM
2x8TB WD Red setup in two-way mirror using Windows Storage Spaces
1 TB HGST 2.5" Laptop hard drive
250 GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD as OS Drive
Corsair SP120 Blue LED fan
Corsair CX650M semi modular PSU
TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
20180922_163214.jpg

Top view of internals (Right side of photo is the front face of the case)
20180922_193335.jpg
I have mounted the SSD in the 5.25 bay and it is also used to tuck away the long 24 pin power cables as well as the unused 8 pin CPU power cable which is not needed for my Intel Pentium Silver CPU.The PSU is placed with the intake facing downwards so that it doesn't become a sinkhole for dust from the top and also acts as an exhaust fan.
Please don't say a word about cable management as this case is tiny AF.A modular/semi-modular PSU is a must in this case.

Left side view of the case (Right side of photo is the front face of the case)
20180922_193404.jpg
One WD Red is mounted on the floor and another WD Red on the HDD frame on the right side of the case.
The HGST 2.5" 1 TB drive is hung below the 5.25" bay.
The stock front 120mm fan was swapped out with the SP120 as its rated at 63 CFM compare to the 40 odd CFM of the stock fan.
The Gigabit LAN card can be seen here below the PSU(green PCB). I don't get how people manage to cram in a full length GPU in this area as it was tight for the SATA/power cables alone. I searched a lot in amazon for short SATA cables(20 cm or so) to no avail and had to use standard 30cm ones.

Right side view of the case (Left side of photo is the front face of the case)
20180922_193432.jpg

Here you can see the green bottom PCB of the WD Red mounted on the side frame. I swapped the included 80mm fan to act as an exhaust as well.

Closeup of hard drive placement
20180922_193643.jpg

All mechanical drives(1 WD Red on floor,1 WD Red on side frame and 1 HGST 2.5 HDD below 5.25 bay) have direct airflow from the front 120 mm fan. The 5.25 bay can be used for a 3.5 HDD as well but I didn't put any mechanical drive there as it would have no airflow at all.

A tiny bit of modding
Now one of the drawbacks of the CoolerMaster Elite 130 is that it has a lot of open vents on the sides sans any dust cover and the PSU dust cover is laughable as it has huge gaps instead of a fine mesh.

I got some magnetic sheets and extra 120 mm dust filters for my main rig housed in a NZXT H500 from amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07FTN3939/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01303JLHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up using those for dust proofing my file server.

Right side of cover panel

20180922_195207.jpg
I covered up all side vents except for leaving a gap covered by one of the dust filters from amazon which are held in place by the magnetic sheet.This gap leaves an opening for the side 80mm fan to vent air out of the case.

Left side of cover panel

20180922_195245.jpg

This side was fully covered up. Look at the massive holes in the stock film that passes for a PSU dust filter.

Full View of cover panel

20180922_195419.jpg

All side panel openings fully covered or filtered with dust filters.

Now the temps are far better. The Reds are idling at 36C with an ambient temp of 31C.:)

upload_2018-10-11_19-23-4.png

I am using 31% of the 8TB storage space which should negate any need for storage upgrades for the next 2-3 years.
upload_2018-10-11_19-37-55.png

Too much work!!!!

If you are thinking of going down this route please do yourself a favor and get a small NUC worth 14-15k and an entry level NAS like the one @vivek.krishnan is arranging a GO for over here.
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/ic-4-bay-nas.188243/#post-2163386

I would have done the same now if I hadn't invested in this rig beforehand.

Attachments

• 20180922_163214.jpg
    20180922_163214.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Back