23% of Indian freelancers earn upto Rs 60 lakh per annum

swatkats

Skilled
Indians are increasingly drifting away from traditional aspirations and opting for more unorthodox ways of earning a living. It could be anything from starting a venture of their own and providing services on the basis of their own expertise to supporting someone else's ambitious visions. Reiterating that fact, PayPal India Director, Narsi Subramanian mentioned that India is the largest freelancer market in the world and called freelancing a significant growth segment for PayPal's India operations. "We are focused on cross-border trade and we will continue to because that is where a significant opportunity lies for us. But, as far as our growth plan is concerned, the freelancer segment is something that we will clearly focus on," Subramanian said. He was at an event and talked about a report on 'Insights into the freelancers ecosystem'.

The report also highlights the constraints that come along with making a living as a freelancer. The report based on a survey that was conducted on 500 freelancers mentioned that most Indian freelancers are under the age of 40. It also highlighted that Indian freelancers are predominantly male.

The report said that 23 per cent of Indian freelancers earn upto Rs 60 lakh per year, as mentioned in agency reports. Another 23 per cent earn between Rs 2.5 lakh and 5 lakh, while 55 respondents say that they earn less than Rs 2.5 lakh, a report in Times of India mentioned.

The mean income earned by Indian freelancers is Rs 20 lakh per annum, with a lot of the jobs coming from online operations. Web and mobile development, internet research, data entry, web designing are the key focus areas for Indian freelancers. Accounting, graphic designing and consultancy are also some of the avenues that Indian freelancers are engaged in.

Of the freelancers who were part of the survey, 41 per cent said that they have witnessed very fast growth in the last 12 months. Eighty per cent of these freelancers provide their services to both domestic and international clients. A lot of these works come from US, UK and Australia with 15 projects and 13 retainer clients each year on an average.

PayPal is trying to tap this market and Subramanian says, "At PayPal, we work closely with freelancers enabling them to leverage the opportunity in India and across the globe. Our key offerings such as PayPal.me and Seller Protection for Intangibles have helped solve payment related hurdles and propelled growth for this segment. We are excited to see college graduates, 5-9'ers and homemakers leveraging the freelancing profession."

http://www.businesstoday.in/current...er-annum-15-projects-a-year/story/267705.html

most take to online work because
- traveling is really bad and horrible and due to pollution people end up getting sick.
- work culture is bad here in india. its mostly slog and slog and get no encouragement from managers or employers.
- pay is bad. it does not reflect rise in inflation.
- only way of earning some income instead of sitting at home doing nothing.

Subscribed. Interesting discussion there ;););)

I subscribed to freelancer.com and paid few $ as well but alas.....never maanged to find any work of my interest and that is it... it is very un reliable IMO

Subscribed. Interesting discussion there ;););)

I subscribed to freelancer.com and paid few $ as well but alas.....never maanged to find any work of my interest and that is it... it is very un reliable IMO

Including freelancer there are some of most Million Dollar Companies having profile on similar sites for our Indian developers.
(Yes Indian Multi-rich Companies dont leave sites like freelancer for business).
They cant leave there workforce idle and even a 10$ job is worth satisfactory.. (watchman/peon pays) ;)

(What I always cherish and want to learn is the process. These Indian companies adapted from American behaviour.)

Afaik, those 23% Indians, should be like:
19. 21% powered by international funds and having great future
(but still wait for even 10$ jobs on freelancer.com lol ).
Most of these follow process, but delivers vague too worst results. ... but Having a Strong Marketing Strategy.

2. Rest 3% are struggling hard-core workers.. who try to do BEST..
But fail on upper 23% monopoly... (Lol) again.

Its not a debate, but future of India, for a POWERFUL SITE where i made some senseible.non-sensible comment..

TOI, is BAD for future of India.. ( i have to re-think now, i trusted them, but not now).

KIndly no debate if you hated my reply, BOMB me with peronal messages or comments system on this site.

There is no FREELANCING IN INDIA... (unless you have skills or you find a customer to fool, like those 23 % freelancers do)
FIGHT TO GROW..
-- Some Sain Person..

zFH9Xt2.jpg

Including freelancer there are some of most Million Dollar Companies having profile on similar sites for our Indian developers.
(Yes Indian Multi-rich Companies dont leave sites like freelancer for business).
They cant leave there workforce idle and even a 10$ job is worth satisfactory.. (watchman/peon pays) ;)

(What I always cherish and want to learn is the process. These Indian companies adapted from American behaviour.)

Afaik, those 23% Indians, should be like:
19. 21% powered by international funds and having great future
(but still wait for even 10$ jobs on freelancer.com lol ).
Most of these follow process, but delivers vague too worst results. ... but Having a Strong Marketing Strategy.

2. Rest 3% are struggling hard-core workers.. who try to do BEST..
But fail on upper 23% monopoly... (Lol) again.

Its not a debate, but future of India, for a POWERFUL SITE where i made some senseible.non-sensible comment..

TOI, is BAD for future of India.. ( i have to re-think now, i trusted them, but not now).

KIndly no debate if you hated my reply, BOMB me with peronal messages or comments system on this site.

There is no FREELANCING IN INDIA... (unless you have skills or you find a customer to fool, like those 23 % freelancers do)
FIGHT TO GROW..
-- Some Sain Person..

I am sure what your post is all about but those 23 % are majorly working in international sector. concept of free lancing is in very infant stage at the moment in india. I am convinced with your post that your understanding is pretty limited.

On a second thought, There is no need for me to hate your post or bomb you with PM's just because you are expressing your opinion.

Of course it's better to try to make more money, as it's just impossible to live a normal life on such a low income. I think these freelancers understand it quite well. Everyone need to develop.

slab #1 - 60L
Slab#2 - 5L

:p

Part time Freelancer here. and this is a misleading article :)

providing an example of my friend who do freelance for movie industry/bombay, he charge 18-20K per day. He is full time freelancer, and when needed he has to work 30-hours straight ( few of the directors/script writer also work like this)

these media noobs will make the calculation like ohh 20K per day? so 20,000*365 = 73,00,000 per annum.

but in reality he get work worth not more then 3 months per annum. rest of the time is passed chasing client and getting projects, he will send quotation to 5o client and get 1-2 contracts only, as projects has to profitable fo both the parties.
People who do freelance can tell you majority of client want you to do a demo /sample work for them to get the work , specially if you working for them first time.

Freelances also spent lots of time in improving themselves and raising their skill levels to stay competitive. this will be again 3 months per year on average.

Also the best thing, he has a Life. travel a lot and leading a humanly life.

Last edited:
People who do freelance can tell you majority of client want you to do a demo /sample work for them to get the work , specially if you working for them first time.

Freelances also spent lots of time in improving themselves and raising their skill levels to stay competitive. this will be again 3 months per year on average.
Both those points are very correct. It helps however to have a decent body of work to avoid the first point.
Second is critical to being a freelancer. Freelancers aren't free, infact far more costly than an employee based on per hour cost. However, most freelancers are doing the work cause they are passionate about it. So keep learning like crazy. I cannot legitimately list down the amount of stuff I have learnt over time. It just keeps adding to your knowledge. Add some experience and you're hitting what you can call gold for clients.

What freelancing they do exactly?
+1. The articles should've given specifics. Without that important info the article sounds misleading tbh.
I knew a guy that did amazing 3D and yet he was underpaid
How many projects has he done and for how long? Many clients take that into consideration too. Also if he's really good he shouldn't lower his fees, and claim that he's an experienced professional or he should do the work according to the money.
Part time Freelancer here. and this is a misleading article :)

providing an example of my friend who do freelance for movie industry/bombay, he charge 18-20K per day. He is full time freelancer, and when needed he has to work 30-hours straight ( few of the directors/script writer also work like this)

these media noobs will make the calculation like ohh 20K per day? so 20,000*365 = 73,00,000 per annum.

but in reality he get work worth not more then 3 months per annum. rest of the time is passed chasing client and getting projects, he will send quotation to 5o client and get 1-2 contracts only, as projects has to profitable fo both the parties.
Legit points. It's a struggle. And it takes a long time to build up a good reputation and be well known. Connections also help a lot btw (something which I learned recently).

It's a struggle. And it takes a long time to build up a good reputation and be well known. Connections also help a lot btw (something which I learned recently).[/QUOTE]
You know that about connections annoys me sometimes you know, there's a guy that does his job perfectly well and he cant find a job because someone else with connection has sat in the chair and he knows less than the first guy. Really...
btw that has nothing to do with you its in general

Anyways, I assumed some serious guys could reply. In field !!!!

Writing articles for XYZ *NON INDIAN* helps you initially.. (VERY VERY MUCH, INCLUDING GOOGLE/FACEBOOK/TWEETS/ ETC.)

Lets say 2 US$ to 2000 US$ per article (DEPENDING ON RIGHT/EXACT NICHE).
(thats right market rate, as lot of SEO/SEM people sell CONTENT RIGHT OUT).

You help, some xyz domain to grow in India.. (if writing articles)..
Those domains grew enough and hire (low technical people, 2 US$ TO 20 US$ per article) now. Its end of story !

Welcome to India !!,
It will grow and again fall to DOMAIN(ATION)

You are booted off..[DOUBLEPOST=1520336785][/DOUBLEPOST]Just make sure. whom you writing articles for. ?

Last edited:
^who is this guy??
You know that about connections annoys me sometimes you know, there's a guy that does his job perfectly well and he cant find a job because someone else with connection has sat in the chair and he knows less than the first guy. Really...
btw that has nothing to do with you its in general
It happens. Its their loss.

Back