1366x768 vs 1920x1080 : Confused about screen resolution

raksrules

Elite
On hunt for a new laptop and am super confused with screen resolutions. The most popular screen resolution seems to be 1366x768 while there are handful of laptops with 1080p screen. I have set aside a budget of 1K $ for my new laptop (separate thread already opened) but I am evaluating whether I need to spend so much for what the laptop will be used for ?
I am not sure whether it is worth spending the extra cash for buying a 1080p laptop. Is it really worth on a 13.3" or 15.6" ? My main use will be ms office stuff, videos, youtube, Internet surfing and occasional downloading (not heavy).
Sometimes I might connect the laptop to a big screen tv.
Also since there are very less 1080p ones around, they cost more.
I see on many forums people mentioning 768p to be "TO LOW". Is it that much of a problem ?
My current laptop is a 4 year old Toshiba satellite 15.4" having resolution of 1200x800 and I finding it ok for my use. (is this better than the 768p ones?)

Depends upon your need I believe 768p is enough. If plan on buyin 17' better get the 1080p.

Ps. Getting a FHD is future ready and you get more work space.

On hunt for a new laptop and am super confused with screen resolutions. The most popular screen resolution seems to be 1366x768 while there are handful of laptops with 1080p screen. I have set aside a budget of 1K $ for my new laptop (separate thread already opened) but I am evaluating whether I need to spend so much for what the laptop will be used for ?
I am not sure whether it is worth spending the extra cash for buying a 1080p laptop. Is it really worth on a 13.3" or 15.6" ? My main use will be ms office stuff, videos, youtube, Internet surfing and occasional downloading (not heavy).......

For Laptop's higher screen resolutions (1080p) are best with 17" screens & not 13.3 or 15.6.
Remember running a 1080p on smaller screens than a 17" will make everything appear crammed and font sizes are very tinny.
You end up paying more for the following reasons:-
- Just a small fraction of laptops are manufactured in the 17" category
- Need's a higher end & better GPU to provide sharper & more vivid images/videos
- Helpful if you are into "Image Processing" or "HD Video Editing" or using 3D softwares from Autodesk (with exhaustive workspace menu's)

As for your needs (mentioned above) a 768p would hardly ever make any difference (except perhaps when you connect it to your big screen TV - you may notice a certain minimal softness vs sharpness of visuals shown by a 1080p laptop)

Further discussions here may help you decide
1080p vs 768p - performance
and
15.6" laptop screen: 720 or 1080? - Penny Arcade Forums

For the requirements you've posted, you do not need full HD resolution in a laptop. And almost all laptops nowadays come with HDMI ports so external connectivity to an HDTV is taken care of. I think this has got to do with those multimedia professionals, for instance those who are into Photoshop/Lightroom and other similar apps. to edit those photographs.

On an unrelated note, I had been to a iVenus outlet last Saturday which was inaugurated that day and there was a HUGE crowd in the small store which had all the Apple devices put on display including the newer Retina display MBPs and I must say there was a noticeable difference between the 2 variants when viewed side-by-side. The store had a very good net connection over wifi and loaded a 4K video from YouTube which took a while to buffer and this video made a whole lot of difference when viewed on the Retina display MBP. Not sure if that warrants the 1L+ price tag though.

15.6" and 1366x768 results in visible pixels. Minimum for that size is 1600x900 (Like the MBP 15"). 1080p is a definite improvement over the very poor dot pitch presented by such a low resolution on a larger screen, given that laptops are veiwed closer than desktops.

I got myself a laptop with a 15" screen and the 768p standard resolution. The screen is the worst part of the experience, speakers are probably worse (and for a laptop that cost ~50k, inexcusable).

If you have the money go for the 1080p full HD , there is life difference . Go to a store and check it there is a huge difference . All these stats will fail when you see a full HD laptop .
and forgot to add 15.4 is THE sweet spot for the full HD as other have commented .

16" 1080p screen, Have used it for 3.5 years now and its a world apart from my previous laptop. Worth it? Def!
Even working with multiple Office documents, you will start appreciating the extra screen space.

For Laptop's higher screen resolutions (1080p) are best with 17" screens & not 13.3 or 15.6.
Remember running a 1080p on smaller screens than a 17" will make everything appear crammed and font sizes are very tinny.

I beg to differ from you mate. 1080p on 17" = 720p on 15.6". you always have got the option of DPI to set.
@raksrules For 15"6, 1600*900 should be the min, but sadly they exist in too less a no to be counted. 1080p is always the best bet if you can afford. Owning a 1080p display, I can guarantee you that not only it changes the movie/picture (visual) experience, rather the whole computing from visual view point changes drastically. Everything is so crisp. Even the small smileys on a 720p laptop appear "streched" with rough edges which appear fine in my 1080p screen. Just go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems the final word from everyone is that IF WITHIN BUDGET then go for 1080p screen.
In that case i might stick to my current choice of laptop, the New Sony Vaio S series 15.5" which is like 1000 $ for a i5/6GB/640GB/Nvidia GFX/DVD RW/ config.

So it seems the final word from everyone is that IF WITHIN BUDGET then go for 1080p screen.
In that case i might stick to my current choice of laptop, the New Sony Vaio S series 15.5" which is like 1000 $ for a i5/6GB/640GB/Nvidia GFX/DVD RW/ config.
I dont know seems a bad deal to me . Why not MS store one ? Dell warranty applicable in India , brand new and its OOS but was available 2 days back and you get the xbox 360 . If you dont need sell it off and its a super slick deal .
Another option same laptop available scratch and dent or refurbished in Dell outlet for $440 + taxes . Buy scratch and dent and return it if any isues . You in US man consumer is the king with 20/30 return period and free shipping everywhere
link
MS store with xbox http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/list/parentCategoryID.44066900/categoryID.50787200
and dell outlet SD thread Dell Outlet Scatch & Dented Inspiron 25% off coupon 15R i7 525m 1GB 8GB 500GB $431.25 + tax, and 17R i5 8GB 1TB $378.75 + tax and XPS 13. - Slickdeals.net

-

I dont know seems a bad deal to me . Why not MS store one ? Dell warranty applicable in India , brand new and its OOS but was available 2 days back and you get the xbox 360 . If you dont need sell it off and its a super slick deal .
Another option same laptop available scratch and dent or refurbished in Dell outlet for $440 + taxes . Buy scratch and dent and return it if any isues . You in US man consumer is the king with 20/30 return period and free shipping everywhere
link
MS store with xbox Laptops - Microsoft Store Online
and dell outlet SD thread Dell Outlet Scatch & Dented Inspiron 25% off coupon 15R i7 525m 1GB 8GB 500GB $431.25 + tax, and 17R i5 8GB 1TB $378.75 + tax and XPS 13. - Slickdeals.net

-

What you are saying makes perfect sense but you see i have a very strong reason for buying only from amazon.com :D

Yes i checked that deal today In fact i am on slickdeals the entire day :p
Just that i have 1000 $ in amazon GC balance which i have to spend before this year end when i return back to India. I do not have anything else to buy from amazon after this (i think).
sell it on the forums . But werent gift cards valid for life ? As far as i know amazon giftcard have no validity

sell it on the forums . But werent gift cards valid for life ? As far as i know amazon giftcard have no validity

Yes they are valid for life but i don't really have any intention of selling them. Would rather spend of stuff that i want to as it is buy.

Obviously, 1080p screen would be better option. But the resolution is not the only thing in the screen, other things like panel quality TN or IPS, backlit source CCFL or LED, contrast, brightness that matters,

Obviously, 1080p screen would be better option. But the resolution is not the only thing in the screen, other things like panel quality TN or IPS, backlit source CCFL or LED, contrast, brightness that matters,

Most of the displays today are LED backlit LCDs. TN & IPS are very rare, the latter being costly also. Haven't CCFL till now.

I had a look at the sony SVS laptop and no doubt 1080 looks good but i am more concerned about the tiny size of almost everything on the screen. Movies and photos might give good experience but i know that i will not be using the laptop full time for that. In fact most use will be everything except movies and photos and those will obviously involve reading and writing texts.
I do see you all mentioning that DPI can be adjusted to make everything bigger but doesn't that defeat the purpose of 1080p screen at least when dealing with text / web pages etc ?
To be honest i seriously do not find much difference if say you show me a 1080p screen and then after few minutes show a 768p. Problem in me mostly. That's the very reason i took an iPad 2 over new iPad as i did not understand the higher resolution.
On top of that i have 'near' glasses and having a 1080p might just increase my problems i feel.

Due to the above mentioned reason i am in more confusion now and will need to again visit the store this or next weekend to have a look at some of the 768p ones.

My current machine is a toshiba satellite L330D which is 4 years old and has a 1280x800 WXGA display and i have absolutely no problems with that.

Back