Storage Solutions VFM 128GB SSD - budget ₹6000 EDIT: bought Crucial MX100 256GB

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello Folks,

I am looking to buy a new SSD with maximum budget of ₹6000. Capacity wise 128GB would be suffice for me. Drive will be used mainly for OS and softwares. Earlier had 64GB drive and was quite comfortable with it. General usage will be for web surfing, movies, games and some desktop processing.

I have gone through other threads and have found out following;
-Controller should be Marvell one.
-NAND memory should be MLC based
-Popular model now a days is Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB at ₹46xx.

However the Sandisk model is out of stock everywhere at present; Flipkart, Snapdeal, Primeabgb/onlySSD. Which other model I can buy for my requirements ? I would not mind paying extra for better after sales service though would like to keep cost lower if possible.

I was suggesting same SSD to everyone out here until now read about TLC MLC. Though practically TLC still offers data writes of likes of 100TBs, at this moment I am looking for MLC based one.

Dont go for the samsung, it doesnt support sleep and once the cache is filled it loses the speed advantage by a big margin.

Wait for the Sanddisk to be in stock again. Cheaper, better and faster.

Yes I have seen it on Amazon and Snapdeal. But pricing in almost double at ₹75xx-84xx.

Any other SSDs that match up with Sandisk one atlseat in specs-performance ?

What do you mean by specs-performance? Do you mean Marvell/MLC? If so, then yes but those drives (ie, the Crucial M4 Series) aren't currently sold in India.

Curious to understand your apprehension regarding the Samsung 840 EVO. Is it speed? Is its reliability/life? What exactly is putting you off the EVO?

Yes by specs I meant MLC NAND and Marvell (or better) Controller.

Coming to EVO, there are few factors;
- TLC Nand
- Samsung Warranty is handled by Prime only. I had bought OCZ Vertex 4 couple of years ago. It is a solid performer but in case of RMA, either I would get any other SSD from Prime or I need or ship it to Taiwan to OCZ.

I am still reading up on web. Apart from that I have time till Tirupati sends me a replacement unit of my PSU; So not in hurry - but may be need to decide by weekend

IMO, TLC NAND is a non-issue from a practical, everyday "consumer use" perspective. The 840 EVO is a "consumer" drive and if your usage follows that assumption then your drive will last longer, much longer than you would ever use it for. Enterprise environments are a different issue.

Think about this practically.

If you buy a Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB today, how long do you honestly think you will use it before you run out of space (120 GB is considered pretty much "entry level" even today) and buy another newer, faster, larger drive?

How much data do you think you will write on average to your SSD every day?

Lets assume its 50 GB PER DAY, which is HUGE BTW.

Even with 50 GB of writes EVERY DAY, your 840 EVO 120 GB has a life expectancy of .... wait for it almost 8 YEARS!

Do you honestly believe you will still be using a 120GB SATA 3 SSD 8 YEARS from the day you buy it? Don't forget, a life expectancy of 8 YEARS is based on the fact that you write 50 GB of data EVERY DAY.

Somehow I doubt you will hit this sort of data transfer every day from a consumer standpoint.

If you buy a 840 EVO 250GB (and this is -THE drive- I recommend to people), and write 50 GB of data EVERY DAY, your drive has a life expectancy of almost 16 YEARS!

There's no question that MLC NAND lasts longer - much longer but its a question of practical, common sense. Whats the point if your 128GB MLC drive lasts 35 years? Do you see yourself using it at the point? Will it even be supported by the hardware at the time?

Stop worrying about TLC NAND - its perfectly fine for consumer use.

And FYI, I got the figures I posted above from the below article in case you want to read it more thoroughly -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/...w-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

Here is the conclusion from the above article in case your're a "TL;DR" person with the important parts in BOLD & UNDERLINE for easier reading-

Using the 1129 cycle estimate (which is an improvement compared to last year's 840 sample), I put together the table below to put any fears of endurance to rest. I even upped the total NAND writes per day to 50 GiB just to be a bit more aggressive than the typically quoted 10 - 30 GiB for consumer workloads.

Endurance scales linearly with NAND capacity, and the worst case scenario at 50 GiB of writes per day is just under 8 years of constant write endurance. Keep in mind that this is assuming a write amplification of 1, if you're doing 50 GiB of 4KB random writes you'll blow through this a lot sooner. For a client system however you're probably looking at something much lower than 50 GiB per day of total writes to NAND, random IO included.

I also threw in a line of lifespan estimates at 100 GiB of writes per day. It's only in this configuration that we see the 120GB drive drop below 4 years of endurance, again based on a conservative p/e estimate. Even with 100 GiB of NAND writes per day, once you get beyond the 250GB EVO we're back into absolutely ridiculous endurance estimates.

Keep in mind that all of this is based on 1129 p/e cycles, which is likely less than half of what the practical p/e cycle limit on Samsung's 19nm TLC NAND. Go ahead and double those numbers and then you're probably looking at reality. Endurance isn't a concern for client systems using the 840 EVO.

Last edited:
^ All that is fine, but it begs the question - why pay more for a drive with cheaper TLC NAND?

The Evo was tremendous VFM when it launched last year because there wasn't a single (Marvell controller + MLC NAND) drive in the same price bracket. Now that it's no longer the case, I don't see the value in the Evo. Anyone who has a 9k budget for a 250GB Evo again has other MLC drive options to choose from. The Evo is still a good drive, it just needs a price update.

+1 lol even i want to know! which what why ! i have a 250 evo btw.. used it on my vostro now transferred to my wife's mac .. love it. no issues unless u want the latest greatest out there. Eddy Which would do u suggest currently?

Crucial MX100. 7.5k I believe.

^ Would be GREATLY APPRECIATED if you could link a website in India that currently stocks and offers the MX100 256GB at that price.

It's not about latest and greatest - it's about VFM which is whats written in the thread title.

The funny thing is, the MX100 would be considered "the latest", or certainly "newer" than the now year old EVO. Its VFM that most price/performance users care about and which is why I mentioned the 840 EVO 250.

I am fully aware about Crucial drives and have a very high regard for them. I even mentioned Crucial specifically in one of my above posts. Its just that AFAIK, they are either not available here or overly priced and hence not really VFM which like you said was an important criteria for the OP.

Very interested in knowing where they are currently in stock, especially at the price point you mentioned.

I still personally believe that the 840 EVO 250 offers better VFM over the Crucial MX100 256.

My reasoning is based on several reviews/comparisons of the drives, one of which is here -
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-840-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX100-256GB/1594vs2317

For those who find the link TL;DR, conclusions for both drives is mentioned below in italic font.

First, the Samsung 840 EVO 250-
Drive Rating - EXCELLENT
The Evo is remarkable in that, like the Sandisk Extreme II, it features a second level cache. For the 250 GB Evo this comprises of a 3 GB Turbowrite cache (TWC) which is a block of high speed Flash Memory. When the TWC is exhausted write speeds drop by approximately 50% but that won't often happen under typical consumer workloads. In terms of raw performance, even with its cache, the Evo still isn't the fastest drive. With a real world speed index reading of 475 MB/s the EVO is however, within 5% of the two speed leaders (Vector and 850 Pro). At a price point of $130 the Evo is around 30% cheaper making it the best value for money SSDs I have seen in 2014.

According to the reviewer, the 840 EVO 250 offers "best value for money for SSDs in 2014". So he is comparing it with reference to this year. Of course reviewers can all have their personal opinions but I would like to see a comparison on some other site between the same two SSD's where the reviewer felt the MX100 was better VFM and backed it up with real data.

And here's the conclusion for the Crucial MX100 256GB -
Drive Rating - GOOD
The Crucial MX100 is the first 16nm SSD to date. Aside from NAND, the MX100 shares the same hardware as its more expensive sibling, the M550. Comparing the MX100 and M550 shows that the two drives have similar read speeds but that the MX100 lags by nearly 50% at writing. The newer 16nm NAND reduces costs and accordingly the MX100 is the cheapest SSD (per GB) to date. In terms of performance the MX100 is a compromise which may or may not be worth making depending on individual circumstances. For typical desktop use including email, office documents and web browsing the MX100 is a great choice but power users should look elsewhere. Comparing the 250GB 840 EVO and 256GB MX100 shows that for a marginal premium, the Evo offers better write speeds. (Note: at 500GB they are more evenly matched)

However, notwithstanding the above, I would still like to know where the Crucial MX100 256GB is available in India for the price you mentioned...

Last edited:
Oh boy not again. I had this exact same debate in another thread, with someone showing me the exact same comparison website. I hope you know that all those conclusions you took a lot of time to format, were written by a random user on that site, not an actual reviewer with the drives in his hands :)
100 bucks says you will not notice the difference in a blindfold test. Nobody's even wondering what happens to all these performance boosting buffered writes in case of a power cut. 400MB/sec buffer write = 400MB data lost in the blink of an eye. The Evo does not have power backup capacitors to flush the buffer like the MX100.

Quoting the conclusion from a reliable reviewer at Anandtech with the drive in his hands :
I wonder how Samsung in particular is going to respond because the 840 EVO should have a cost advantage due to the use of TLC NAND, but right now the EVO is priced $30 to $70 higher while not providing any substantial added value.
But let's just agree to disagree :)

A link to the 256GB MX100 : http://www.onlyssd.com/product/crucial-mx100-256gb-ssd/
I was scratching my head wondering why you were looking for the EOL M4 now.

P.s.: We are going drastically off-topic, considering none of the drives we're comparing even fit in the OPs budget!

TBH, considering the MX100 256GB -IS- available in India for Rs.7,449/- (thanks for the link BTW) it WOULD be a better VFM drive vs the 840 EVO 250. I would personally buy the Crucial MX100 256 over the Samsung 840 EVO 250 going by the current price difference.

Samsung really does need to lower their 840 EVO 250 price drastically to make it more attractive vs the Crucial MX100.

Just looked around and found a thread on TE regarding Crucial Service/Support in India. Prime seems to be offering the service themselves without any apparent backing from Crucial -

https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/which-one-is-better-ssd.133222/

From that thread, the Crucial rep stated -
"We do have many authorized resellers, but I am not familiar with Prime ABGB."

Since that's a 2 year old thread so I was wondering if Crucial is perhaps officially present in India now?

Or is it still through Prime as part of a "self import/support" kind of deal? Anyone know for certain because I want to buy a 256 GB SSD before the end of the month and at that price point the MX100 is the drive I would buy PROVIDED I was assured of proper support/service. This is a non-issue with the Samsung EVO's.

For some strange reason, the Crucial MX100 256Gb is not even listed on the Prime site.

http://www.primeabgb.com/computers/ssd-solid-state-drive.html?manufacturer=111

I say "strange" because Prime runs and owns both www.onlyssd.com & www.primeabgb.com themselves.

Has anyone dealt with Prime in the past for Crucial SSD support? What was your experience like? Any advice appreciated...

Sorry for the thread hijack OP. :)

Last edited:
@Crazy_Eddy
Going back to the OP's original question, which 128Gb MLC/Marvell drive do you recommend under 6k that's currently available in India. I want to compare such a drive to the EVO 120Gb at Rs.5,099/- (lowest I could find for this drive). A quick reply would be appreciated as I want to buy a SSD this week itself. I can't seem to find the Crucial MX100 128Gb listed anywhere in India. Is it available here?

BTW, I emailed onlyssd to ask them for support times. I recd. a reply from them stating the turnaround time for Crucial SSD's is 4-7 days. Since I live in Gurgaon, this means a turnaround time of roughly 12-15 days in total (shipping up/down times included). This seems kind of steep. Not sure what Samsung's SSD turnaround times are but at least they have service/support centers in my region itself.

Last edited:
Not sure what Samsung's SSD turnaround times are but at least they have service/support centers in my region itself.

Read in one of the thread on forum, for service/support of Samsung SSDs you have to take help from onlyssd/prime only.

^ If you go to the official Samsung India website, you will see that they clearly list SSD's as a product they sell & support themselves in India. You can check this yourself here -
http://www.samsung.com/in/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

Choose "Product Type" & "Product Subtype" as "Solid State Drive", choose your area and you will see they offer support for the SSD's themselves whereas in the case of www.onlyssd.com, they seem to be offering support for Samsung SSD's via Prime, not Samsung India. I have a Samsung service center that's stated to support SSD RMA approx. 20kms from where I live.

Furthermore, if you use their "Dealer Locator" page here -
http://www.samsung.com/in/function/dealer/dealerLocator.do#
and choose SSD as the product and region as Maharashtra/Mumbai, they list about 12 dealers for the product and Prime is not one of them.

This would seem to imply that Prime is directly importing and supporting Samsung SSD's themselves, just like the Crucial and others as well...

Last edited:
Back