PC Peripherals RAM confusion over pairing with other modules

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I need to setup for vmware test lab setup on my home pc. Currently I have paired Corsair Vengeance 4 x 2 + Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 = 12gb total. The setup is falling short of 6gb.

I currently have installed 4 x 2 Corsair Vengeance DDR3
http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m4a1600c9

Would like to pair it with 8 x 1 Corsair Vengeance DDR3
http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/vengeance-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m1a1600c10

But between these two modules theres a bit of timing difference so will both these work well together or do need to do every bit of manual config in bios? These will be running on obvious XMP profiles.

4gb kit cpuz:
upload_2017-11-15_12-15-32.png

8gb kit cpuz:
upload_2017-11-15_12-15-43.png

Please suggest. As I dont want to end up into bsods and random reboots etc.

First things first, mixing RAM kits should not be done. Nobody can predict if there can be glitches or not. One setup of mixed RAM can work well for one guy and the same setup can create issues in the life of another guy.

Now that that disclaimer is out of the way, if you mix RAM of two different speeds and assuming they work, they will work at the lowest frequencies. So, from your screenshot, the RAM will run at a speed of 667 MHz.

Also, note that instead of going for 3 sticks, you should go with 4 sticks otherwise all your RAM will run single channel AFAIK. So, I would suggest going for 4 x 4GB DDR3 or 2 x 4GB + 2 X 8GB unless you have reasons best known to you. :)

One ram slot is blocked by cpu cooler so I only get 3 to use. (Currently using the under cpu ram slot as xms3 slides easily in small places so current setup is 4*2gb and 2*2 gb dual channels = 12gb)
But I need 8gb in place of those 2*2gbs to get replaced and I cannot count the one ram slot as only thin rams can slide in there.

So practically what I can use is:
4*2 + 2 + 8 = 18gb (dont suggest me to sell off current rams and invest into 8+8+8 type of setup)

I'm fine with single channel as my only intend is just virtualization that too for demo purpose.

Somebody is selling his gskill 8gb ddr3 stick but none of us are sure how will it go together with existing corsair pairs.

Gskills PC3-14900 : CL 10-11-10-30 @1.50v

Corsair PC3-12800 : 9-9-9-24 @1.50v

Is it safe to pair these ram together?
I dont care for dual channel as I know I gonna loose it anyway.

Nobody can predict whether non matched RAM sticks will work or not. Best is to try. Maybe, ask the seller for a 7 day testing warranty and explain to him your situation. I am sure, he will understand.

Ya already told him that will pay full amount and give for just a days testing but he seems septical. In fact we both reside in same city.

Man, some people just don't understand basic electronics. It's not like you will destroy his RAM in one day. Tough situation, man. In most cases, RAM mixing does work. If its cheap, just take a chance, I would say, if you have no other option.

Ok. So i have bought 8gb ddr3 corsair vengeance from fellow forum member.

Now in Bios shall I enable XMP profile or better keep it to Auto? Currently have set it to Auto.
If XMP is going to help in this scenario then would set it.

Currently installed rams are:

slot 0 - 2gb corsair xms3 XMP 1.2
slot 1 - 4gb corsair vengeance XMP 1.2
slot 2 - 8gb corsair vengeance XMP 13
slot 3 - 4gb corsair vengeance XMP 1.2

Okay, so all RAM sticks are designed to work at 1600 MHz and highest CAS Latency is 10. Try to manually configure all RAM sticks to run at 1600 and 10 from BIOS and see what happens. Right now all RAM sticks are running at 1300 MHz at 9, 10, 9 , 9. Let's bring them all to a common ground to avoid any issues in the future.

And, BTW, don't expect any performance jump. Try this just to have answers to this situation. Otherwise, your current setup is fine for your demo purposes at 1333 MHz.

Last edited:
Back