Budget 0-20k Worth to upgrade RAM in my old 4th gen i3 laptop ?

broksindri

Recruit
Will upgrading RAM from 4GB to 8GB (it is single slot) make any noticeable difference in performance ?
It works fine so far , and since i upgraded from HDD to SSD recently it got even faster than before.
Kindly pour your suggestions..
Laptop RAM that i am looking forward to get simtronics
i guess due to outdated tech only 1 or 2 brands are selling DDR3L laptop RAM, i did try buying ADATA brand RAM from amazon few months ago, but received fake clone twice, simtronics is okay brand ? looks like indian manuf.

Will ram upgrade from 4gb to 8gb increase performance - yes
not sure about simtronics, but i recommend getting adata or some reputed brand ddr3 ram stick if you are upgrading.

Depends on your requirements.
If you are coding or using multiple tabs on browser on that system or not going to change your system for at least next 2 years then you should upgrade it to 8GB.

If you are doing casual browsing or watching videos then don't waste your money on old system.

Crucial or Samsung Brand DDR3L RAM is available on Flipkart. They are old stock means the sticks you will get are probably manufactured somewhere between 2014-17.

Use cpuz to find the current stick you have, you'll probably get another on Flipkart. These OEM sticks tend to be cheap and you'll get an exact match for dual channel

Use cpuz to find the current stick you have, you'll probably get another on Flipkart. These OEM sticks tend to be cheap and you'll get an exact match for dual channel

Will upgrading RAM from 4GB to 8GB (it is single slot) make any noticeable difference in performance ?

If you intend to use the laptop for more than 6 months, then this upgrade definitely makes sense.

Simmtronics is fine. I have used plenty of them. It was very reputable alongwith Kingston before other brands entered India. I'd rate them better than generic hynix modules.

Noticeable? depends upon what you do. If you do light weight browsing and media consumption then no. It won't be noticeable. Windows create virtual RAM paging on your SSD and it's plenty fast for multi tab chrome browsing.

More RAM doesn't increase the speed of the computer. It lets you do more things at the same time. I'll advise you to stick to your config and get another laptop all together. It's an 8 year old platform.

Simmtronics is fine. I have used plenty of them. It was very reputable alongwith Kingston before other brands entered India. I'd rate them better than generic hynix modules.

Noticeable? depends upon what you do. If you do light weight browsing and media consumption then no. It won't be noticeable. Windows create virtual RAM paging on your SSD and it's plenty fast for multi tab chrome browsing.

More RAM doesn't increase the speed of the computer. It lets you do more things at the same time. I'll advise you to stick to your config and get another laptop all together. It's an 8 year old platform.
Thankyou all for your input.

Yes its my primary work machine, its get the job done .. so i am not considering getting new laptop anytime soon.
I will probably use this laptop till its dead, rather than selling it in peanuts and upgrading by spending a lot. (i5 12th gen Dell laptop are costing around 60k , quite expensive for me at the moment)

It'll definitely be noticeable. Try yourself first hand by using a single DDR3/4 4GB stick in a computer and then try any kind of browsing and document editing workload for longer than 4 hours. At least 5-7 tabs including at least 1 video watching. Windows and the web browser will hog all your RAM and the second it starts utilizing pagefile for a good chuck of foreground activity the machine will start to give micro freezes.

A SATA SSD is still many many times slower than a RAM but only 5-10 times faster than HDD. Trust me, you don't wanna say paging is OK on an SSD. It's called paging for a reason and if it was OK no one would need RAM upgrades.

@broksindri, go ahead with 8GB RAM and sell your 4GB stick if it has only one slot. I'd suggest going with 12GB otherwise.

Recently upgraded 2 of my laptops from 4 gb to 8gb ram. Both were ddr3 and one is single stick. Upon testing with crystaldiskmark, it has even improved the ssd speed which was getting bottlenecked due to the 4gb ram.
So yes go ahead.
If you have option to buy from delhi, you can get hynix or samsung 8gb ddr3 laptop ram for Rs 1390/- in nehru place with 3 years seller warranty (they just sell used ram taken out of old laptops) Prices were checked last week.

It works fine so far , and since i upgraded from HDD to SSD recently it got even faster than before.
Kindly pour your suggestions..
Laptop RAM that i am looking forward to get simtronics
i guess due to outdated tech only 1 or 2 brands are selling DDR3L laptop RAM, i did try buying ADATA brand RAM from amazon few months ago, but received fake clone twice, simtronics is okay brand ? looks like indian manuf.
Recently, I upgraded my 3rd gen i5 based lappy from 4gb to 12gb by adding below module

Couple of months prior to that, I added sata ssd.
Am pretty much happy with both the upgrades.

1. Suggest you to add 8gb module
2. Check ur windows, it has to be 64bit, if it's 32bit, it can use only upto 4gb max, so you need to reinstall ur OS if that's the case

Back