Which Laptop @ ~40k? Acer 5745G vs Dell Inspiron 15R?

I wanna buy a laptop asap, my budget being ~40k. My usage is for general browsing, sometimes video editing, casual gaming and entertainment. I'll also be running CAD softwares on it.

I've narrowed my choices to these two. And need help deciding which one to buy.

Dell Inspiron 15R - Rs. 42,400 + 900(for the dealer)
CPU: Core i5 450M (2.4 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: 320 GB
GFX: ATI HD 5470 1GB
Screen: 15.6"

Acer Aspire 5745G - Rs. 43,000
CPU: Core i5 430M (2.26 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066MHz
HDD: 500 GB
GFX: nVidia GeForce 330M 1GB
Screen: 15.6"

I dont mind the difference in CPU and HDD or RAM speed (if there is, i'm unsure) but, the GeForce 330M is way better than ATI 5470 acc. to benchmarks here: Notebookcheck: Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List (330M at #63, 5470 at #105)

So feature-wise or VFM-wise, Acer 5475G is my best bet but I have always heard ppl saying Dell is very good in quality and Acer is not. What are your opinions? Any Acer users? Which one should I go for?

PS: The Dell one's price 42.4k is given by the dealer, and he takes plus 900 for all dell laptops as he orders it himself. However on net if I customize it to same config, it shows 45.8k!!

Obviously, the Acer 5475G will be a far better choice if you are into gaming. While gaming the GPU matters the most.
I was also in the same dilemma between Acer 5740G and Sony Vaio (I don't remember what model was that). The vaio had a corei3 instead of acer's corei5.
Rest was same. Both had an ATI 5650 GPU. Eventually I bought myself the Acer 5740G. Although it isn't as stylish as Vaio but in terms of quality and reliabity Acer is not inferior in anyway.
Acer 5740G and 5745G are exactly same except the GPU and webcam .The 5745G has a better webcam and looks are also better than 5740G.
I played games like AC2, DMC4 on my laptop on an avg. 8 hours a day continuously (except taking meals in between) but still didn't face any problem till now (it has been 2 months since I purchased it).
My advice would be going with the 5745G.

I will suggest you to go with Acer 5745G as it has a much better Graphics card. You wont notice much difference due to higher clocked processor of the Inspiron and the intel arrendale processors wont benefit from 1333 Mhz ram, so there will be absolutely no difference in ram speed.

Acer has worst build quality. Lenovo is better. Lenovo Y460 is damn good. I myself am gonna opt for Lenovo Y560 with Core i5 and Ati 5650 1GB model this month

Yeah,Lenovo laptops have better build quality and looks than an acer.You can go for that model as it has Ati 5650 card which is even better than nvidia gt330m,And dont go by the shopkeepers word, he will try to sell you the products which have higher profit margins;)

My advise: If you can stretch your budget a bit then go for Lenovo Y560 with Ati 5730 :eek:hyeah: which costs 46k, if its not possible then go for the one with Ati 5650.

Look! If are definitely into gaming then you should consider a core i5 proc also. Otherwise the proc would become a bottleneck for the faster GPU.
Some proc intensive games like crysis requires a good CPU like core i5. A core i3 won't suffice here.
As far as ATI 5650 and ATI 5730 are concerned, they are exactly the same. The only difference is ATI 5730 is factory overclocked whereas 5650 can be overclocked manually without any problem or heat issue.
The choice is yours. Either get satisfied with an i3+5730 (as RS4 suggested in above post) or go for Acer 5745G that has an i5+330M.
Don't forget that the driver support for nvidia GPUs has always been better than ATI's.

Guys thanx for ur suggestions.
The lenovo models I shortlisted were not available in all the shops I asked except one model which was for 47k, having i3 not i5. So I decided to go for Acer only and ...

I have bought my first laptop Acer 5745G :D :D Happy with it. Haven't use it much yet though and new to Win7 also.

@anubis that lenovo y560 surely has an awesome combo of i5 and 5650 but out of my budget. If u buy it, fill me in with the price.

Anubis said:
Congoz bro. BTW Lenovo Y560 Core i5 450M + ATI 5650 1GB is 48k+taxes in Kolkata.
From which shop you got this quote ? I also want to know how is the After Sales Service of Lenovo in Kolkata ?

tha ACER 5745 webcam is just for a show and nvidia drivers used should be downloaded from acer only and nvdias latest driver cananot work on it they are provided by acer itself .Most of the laptop manufacturers give their own graphic drivers and nvidia drivers doesnt work DONT KNOW ABOUT DELL.

I have this laptop with me.Its great laptop the cost is low compared to other manufacturers having similar config.The only disappointing is i cant just download latest drivers install in it I have to wait for acer to upload them (dont know if they are regular)

i compared the 5740 of a dude who sat next to me in class. it felt as sturdy as ( if not more than) my inspiron 15R. I wouldnt hesitate to buy it , except for acer's less than stellar reliablity and service

Back