Budget 21-30k Refurbished ThinkPad X390 (or T480)

sid41299

Disciple
I'm looking to buy a refurbished ThinkPad X390, preferably with 16GB of RAM and an i5. What's the best place to get such a laptop? A T480s or something similar would fine as well. Basically need a lightweight ThinkPad that I know will last for 2-3 years at least. Any other suggestions (new, other brands, etc.) are welcome as well. And I know the budget says "21K-30K" but realistically 25K is a hard cap.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

T480 was my work laptop. Ran well for almost 5yrs before sent for a refresh. You should be able to get it under 25k. Opt for a later models which came with newer proccy.

Check OLX listing for your city or choose Bangalore. You'll find lot of re-sellers buying from big corps and reselling them. It's best to walk into such shops, inspect in person before buying.

T480 was my work laptop. Ran well for almost 5yrs before sent for a refresh. You should be able to get it under 25k. Opt for a later models which came with newer proccy.

Check OLX listing for your city or choose Bangalore. You'll find lot of re-sellers buying from big corps and reselling them. It's best to walk into such shops, inspect in person before buying.
T480 is too heavy though. This is for my sister who has to commute every day, and she uses a 2011 13" MBP. A T480 is almost the same size and weight, which is why I was looking for lighter options. An X390 or any decent "s" model should do the trick

I'm looking to buy a refurbished ThinkPad X390, preferably with 16GB of RAM and an i5. What's the best place to get such a laptop? A T480s or something similar would fine as well. Basically need a lightweight ThinkPad that I know will last for 2-3 years at least. Any other suggestions (new, other brands, etc.) are welcome as well. And I know the budget says "21K-30K" but realistically 25K is a hard cap.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
I got the same one you're looking for from Amazon. It's around 25k on Amazon right now. But it had a few kinks to it. Have a read here: Link. If you're ok with those troubles, buy it from the link I've added there. Else find a physical store selling them.

I got the same one you're looking for from Amazon. It's around 25k on Amazon right now. But it had a few kinks to it. Have a read here: Link. If you're ok with those troubles, buy it from the link I've added there. Else find a physical store selling them.
Thank you. I don't think she'll run Windows on it anyway, and even if she did I'd reinstall it. But what did you mean by top cover of the webcam kept falling off? The privacy shutter was loose?

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't think she'll run Windows on it anyway, and even if she did I'd reinstall it anyway. But what did you mean by top cover of the webcam kept falling off? The privacy shutter was loose?
A small plastic cover usually over the camera (clear). Its currently is not falling out to show it to you. Not a functional part of the camera but rather a dust cover.

20240323_154657.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
What is her usecase? I'm currently using a t480s and I like it so far with some slight cons. I use it for basic office/work type of tasks tho. You say that she won't install windows on it so something linux based I assume.

On the one hand, it is light! It weighs less than 1.5 kilos so I sometimes end up having to check or feel my bag on my back to see if I'm actually carrying it lol. Really convenient weight for my college, often end up using my laptop for presentations and any sort of work due to the fact I'm always carrying it around. Compare that to the 2kg+ laptops that my friends and peers have that is just to heavy to carry around and hence they just leave it at the hostel.

On the otherhand, I wish I had spent like 10k more (to around 40k) and just bought one of the new budget ryzen laptops instead. As I'm a part of the media teams for events, I have to often edit videos and stuff together, and I would say it performs better than my ancient xeon e3 1230 v2 and rx570 pc at home, but not by a large margin. Premiere pro is far more stable tho and doesn't crash at random *that often anymore*, that's for sure. But the new ryzen chips along with their better igpu would have made work faster in these situations. However this usecase occurs like what? 2 times a month at best, so it's not a big deal.

It's been almost 8 months if I'm not wrong that I had this laptop and I only faced 2 issues so far, once the laptop just started burning, as in the fans were going full speed, laptop was like burning hot. For some reason when I put the laptop to sleep, it instead just seemed to go completely haywire. Couldn't access anything on the screen. Thankfully I knew the hard reset button on the back so I took a pen and just pressed it, and the laptop reset itself. I then disabled sleep automatically and only allow it to go to sleep when I close my laptop. The second issue was some random BSOD once, but that was nothing honestly

For anything else tho, it's great. Doesn't heat up 80% of the time (I can't remember if it heats up when you're watching youtube lol). Has USB-C charging which is nice, 1 charger for all. Screen is IPS and works great indoors. The metal build on it is also sturdy, I bought a basic foam case on amazon and that gives it all the protection it needs. Battery life depends on the laptop but thinkpad parts are easy to replace, your seller himself will be able to source a brand new battery for it. Rn battery backup for me is fine, I don't need to replace it yet, with basic web browsing and stuff it will last like 5 hours on a full charge, plus the laptop itself charges up fast again going from like 40% to 90% in 20 minutes or so.

Ah sorry, kept blabbering on and I didn't even answer your question. T480s is hard to find, I spent I think 29K on mine total, originally it was 27? He added another 8gb stick which was of the same type for another 2k, fair price or not I just didn't want to bother installing it. It's best you find one within your city, I found mine through olx. Had to call around many refurb shops asking for the t480s but they wasted a good amount of my time thinking I asked for a t480. As @kalph09 said, try to find a newer model but those start bumping significantly in price and you have to consider whether it will be actually worth it for her usecase

Last edited:
What is her usecase? I'm currently using a t480s and I like it so far with some slight cons. I use it for basic office/work type of tasks tho. You say that she won't install windows on it so something linux based I assume.

On the one hand, it is light! It weighs less than 1.5 kilos so I sometimes end up having to check or feel my bag on my back to see if I'm actually carrying it lol. Really convenient weight for my college, often end up using my laptop for presentations and any sort of work due to the fact I'm always carrying it around. Compare that to the 2kg+ laptops that my friends and peers have that is just to heavy to carry around and hence they just leave it at the hostel.

On the otherhand, I wish I had spent like 10k more (to around 40k) and just bought one of the new budget ryzen laptops instead. As I'm a part of the media teams for events, I have to often edit videos and stuff together, and I would say it performs better than my ancient xeon e3 1230 v2 and rx570 pc at home, but not by a large margin. Premiere pro is far more stable tho and doesn't crash at random *that often anymore*, that's for sure. But the new ryzen chips along with their better igpu would have made work faster in these situations. However this usecase occurs like what? 2 times a month at best, so it's not a big deal.

It's been almost 8 months if I'm not wrong that I had this laptop and I only faced 2 issues so far, once the laptop just started burning, as in the fans were going full speed, laptop was like burning hot. For some reason when I put the laptop to sleep, it instead just seemed to go completely haywire. Couldn't access anything on the screen. Thankfully I knew the hard reset button on the back so I took a pen and just pressed it, and the laptop reset itself. I then disabled sleep automatically and only allow it to go to sleep when I close my laptop. The second issue was some random BSOD once, but that was nothing honestly

For anything else tho, it's great. Doesn't heat up 80% of the time (I can't remember if it heats up when you're watching youtube lol). Has USB-C charging which is nice, 1 charger for all. Screen is IPS and works great indoors. The metal build on it is also sturdy, I bought a basic foam case on amazon and that gives it all the protection it needs. Battery life depends on the laptop but thinkpad parts are easy to replace, your seller himself will be able to source a brand new battery for it. Rn battery backup for me is fine, I don't need to replace it yet, with basic web browsing and stuff it will last like 5 hours on a full charge, plus the laptop itself charges up fast again going from like 40% to 90% in 20 minutes or so.

Ah sorry, kept blabbering on and I didn't even answer your question. T480s is hard to find, I spent I think 29K on mine total, originally it was 27? He added another 8gb stick which was of the same type for another 2k, fair price or not I just didn't want to bother installing it. It's best you find one within your city, I found mine through olx. Had to call around many refurb shops asking for the t480s but they wasted a good amount of my time thinking I asked for a t480. As @kalph09 said, try to find a newer model but those start bumping significantly in price and you have to consider whether it will be actually worth it for her usecase
Quite a comprehensive write-up lmao. I should read this as a review ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience, and yes, I also haven't been able to find quite many T480s listings but I did find one on Amazon, so I'm looking into that. And I'll probably load up whichever distro gives maximum battery life for that particular machine, she's fairly familiar with a few flavours of Linux. It's for office-type work only, just that it needs to be compact and lightweigh to make it easy to carry around and use on the go if need be, and SOME upgradeability would be nice. Durability/Physical Longevity is a given anyway, especially for the three I'm looking at. And no, it's mostly (i.e. 99%) going to be used as a notebook computer so she won't feel the sting of old Intel. Besides, I cobbled together a salvage desktop that I'm keeping there for my use whenever I visit (7700, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 1660 S), so she has that if she ever needs a little more oomph.

I narrowed it down to three options. Please look at these:

T480s: https://www.amazon.in/Refurbished-L...1&psc=1&mcid=008db7c371553292a67b59f57e0edb99

X390: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0CGV1DLQX...age=en_US#renewedProgramDescriptionBtfSection

T480: https://www.amazon.in/Renewed-Lenov...BZ_wQHKuy9TZf-Y-Pw9gxr28f8lXnL8xoCdtYQAvD_BwE

(It's mostly between the T480s and the X390, the T480 is there for moral support)

Quite a comprehensive write-up lmao. I should read this as a review ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience, and yes, I also haven't been able to find quite many T480s listings but I did find one on Amazon, so I'm looking into that. And I'll probably load up whichever distro gives maximum battery life for that particular machine, she's fairly familiar with a few flavours of Linux. It's for office-type work only, just that it needs to be compact and lightweigh to make it easy to carry around and use on the go if need be, and SOME upgradeability would be nice. Durability/Physical Longevity is a given anyway, especially for the three I'm looking at. And no, it's mostly (i.e. 99%) going to be used as a notebook computer so she won't feel the sting of old Intel. Besides, I cobbled together a salvage desktop that I'm keeping there for my use whenever I visit (7700, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 1660 S), so she has that if she ever needs a little more oomph.

I narrowed it down to three options. Please look at these:

T480s: https://www.amazon.in/Refurbished-L...1&psc=1&mcid=008db7c371553292a67b59f57e0edb99

X390: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0CGV1DLQX...age=en_US#renewedProgramDescriptionBtfSection

T480: https://www.amazon.in/Renewed-Lenov...BZ_wQHKuy9TZf-Y-Pw9gxr28f8lXnL8xoCdtYQAvD_BwE

(It's mostly between the T480s and the X390, the T480 is there for moral support)

According to the top comment of this reddit thread, it just seems to be a difference of battery life, ram and default factory screen quality.

I assume both of the amazon listings are only full hd, the x390 seems to have a better color gamut but I honestly wonder how noticeable that actually will be considering her tasks. X390 haa 13.3 inch screen so it's smaller than the 14 inch t480s (more portable I suppose), weight of the t480s is 3lbs and the x390 is 2.8 lbs, not that big of a difference. Battery life is also a bit better on the t480s

Upgradability wise, the t480s has one 8gb slot soldered, the x390 is 16 gb soldered with no extra slots if I'm not wrong.

Personally I don't see much of a reason to go beyond that, if someone's workload requires more ram than this, he probably required a better laptop as well.

Here's a random excel sheet I found from 4 years back from someone on reddit lol
1711258698729.png

Are there no refurb sellers in your city? Even i considered buying a t480s from amazon but with these default stock photos, I wanted to see the condition of the product itself. If the return or replacement policy will be handled by Amazon then you should try.

Are there no refurb sellers in your city? Even i considered buying a t480s from amazon but with these default stock photos, I wanted to see the condition of the product itself. If the return or replacement policy will be handled by Amazon then you should try.
There are a few in Hyderabad, but I haven't found and decently priced or specc'd T480s or X390. Seems like the T480 is just too popular

Do they have a website or a phone number? And have you inspected the unit by yourself?
they dont have a website, its a warehouse and shop together.

i have visited and checked the laptop condition, it has signs of wear but it seems to be in working condition. they change the nvme ssds tho.

i am going to buy this Saturday.

i have the number but afaik he speaks only tamil. pm me for number as idk if its against form rules

Back