Looking to buy a good beard trimmer

Hi all,

I need to buy a good trimmer for beard.

Thing is, that nowadays, I have become very lazy in shaving. So, often, my beard grows for many days, and then, when I use my Gillette twin blades shaver, it goes bad... it cannot handle that amount of hair.

I had found a solution to this, that first I used to trim the hair as much as possible with small scissors, but that takes a lot of time.

Then, I found unused twin blade Gillette use and throw razor which my brother had left at home, and I used it, and I tell you, it is so much better than the regular twin blades. I am still using that razor and it hasnt gotten bad like the twin blades, which cannot handle even one shave of grown hair.

So, I use the use and throw razor to first shave as much as possible, and then use the regular twin blades for a smooth shave, but yea, it still takes time.

So now, I want to buy a trimmer, for dry use, which can shave as close as possible to my skin, and then I can shave the rest with the twin blades. The trimmer won't give a proper smooth shave, right?

Need good suggestions please. I think trimmers from Philips are good? Which model to use?

I will be using trimmers for first time. I had used electric shaver long ago, but then, not so good shavers were available and that shaver made my skin itch so bad after shaving with it. I guess shavers and trimmers have got really good quality nowadays, and dont hurt or itch the skin.

Edit: corrected the post, as I wrote single blade instead of use and throw twin blade razor

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thing is, that nowadays, I have become very lazy in shaving. So, often, my beard grows for many days, and then, when I use my Gillette twin blades shaver, it goes bad... it cannot handle that amount of hair.

I had found a solution to this, that first I used to trim the hair as much as possible with small scissors, but that takes a lot of time.

Then, I found unused single blade Gillette razor which my brother had left at home, and I used it, and I tell you, it is so much better than the twin blades. I am still using that razor and it hasnt gotten bad like the twin blades, which cannot handle even one shave of grown hair.

So, I use the single blade razor to first shave as much as possible, and then use the twin blades for a smooth shave, but yea, it still takes time.

So now, I want to buy a trimmer, for dry use, which can shave as close as possible to my skin, and then I can shave the rest with the twin blades. The trimmer won't give a proper smooth shave, right?

Need good suggestions please. I think trimmers from Philips are good? Which model to use?

I will be using trimmers for first time. I had used electric shaver long ago, but then, not so good shavers were available and that shaver made my skin itch so bad after shaving with it. I guess shavers and trimmers have got really good quality nowadays, and dont hurt or itch the skin.
is this single blade version is the one which is mostly available in all shops?
You know on contrary I was thinking of shifting to two blades as for me the razor feels quite sharp.

is this single blade version is the one which is mostly available in all shops?
These are the use and throw kind of twin blades from Gillette, which are available for cheap as single piece. I found it very good to shave beard which has grown for more than 3-4 days, because if I shave that with my regular twin blades, it gets bad in one shave only.. the blades become blunt, and don't work anymore.

You know on contrary I was thinking of shifting to two blades as for me the razor feels quite sharp.
Single blade is scary for me, never used it, and yea, if you arent careful with it, you can get cuts.

If you shave regularly, like in a day or two, Gillette twin blades are really good for that.

Last edited:
For the razor, I use this - https://www.amazon.in/Dorco-LetsShave-Pace-Shaving-Cartridge/dp/B076ZDQXJJ - much cheaper than Gilette and it's pretty good.

For a trimmer, I'd suggest not to buy the Philips trimmers that are made for the India market, they're cheaply built and have low quality components, IMO. Try the Norelco series. A few people here have bought it from ibhejo on sale. I've bought 2 of them for 900 and 1800 and they're really good value at that price.

On Amazon it's 3000 and ibhejo doesn't have stock, so I'm not sure if that's the best value at that price point. Might try waiting for ibhejo if you're not in a hurry https://ibhejo.com/philips-norelco-...-nose-and-ear-hair-trimmer-and-clipper-324854

Yep. I found it very good to shave beard which has grown for more than 3-4 days, because if I shave that with my twin blades, it gets bad in one shave only.. the blades become blunt, and don't work anymore.

Yea, the blade is sharp, so you have to be careful not to apply too much pressure, just keep a good smooth angle, which wont cut your skin. Thats why, for a smooth finish, I shave with the twin blades after the single blade shave.
Ya I learnt not to apply too much pressure after getting cut two-three times. Also, the fresh blades are quite sharp and I get adjusted to them only after two shaves.

Ya I learnt not to apply too much pressure after getting cut two-three times. Also, the fresh blades are quite sharp and I get adjusted to them only after two shaves.
Oh man, really sorry, I wrote wrong. I didn't mean single blade sheesh! ... I mean the Gillette twin blades, but those which are use and throw kind, the cheap ones. I use that first to shave first, and then Gillette twin blades, regular ones, for which the blade cartridge can be replaced.

I don't know how I wrote single blade... I will edit and correct my posts. Really sorry.

I have never used single blade man, I am scared of those lol. Those can cause nasty cuts :/. Since I started shaving, I have always used twin blades. I started using Gillette twin blades much later on.

You should go for twin blades, they have rare chance of cuts... only if you apply too much pressure, or somehow the angle gets bad, which is rare. You will like twin blades for sure. Gillette ones have really good quality and last longer, but yea, if you use it for heavy growth, it just kills the blades. That's why I am looking to buy a trimmer now.
For the razor, I use this - https://www.amazon.in/Dorco-LetsShave-Pace-Shaving-Cartridge/dp/B076ZDQXJJ - much cheaper than Gilette and it's pretty good.
Thanks for the suggestion. These do look good, but the problem with these will be, that they won't be available in local shops, and I will always have to order the cartridges from Amazon. Would like something which can be locally and readily available.

For a trimmer, I'd suggest not to buy the Philips trimmers that are made for the India market, they're cheaply built and have low quality components, IMO. Try the Norelco series. A few people here have bought it from ibhejo on sale. I've bought 2 of them for 900 and 1800 and they're really good value at that price.

On Amazon it's 3000 and ibhejo doesn't have stock, so I'm not sure if that's the best value at that price point. Might try waiting for ibhejo if you're not in a hurry https://ibhejo.com/philips-norelco-...-nose-and-ear-hair-trimmer-and-clipper-324854
The one you posted link for, is just too costly for me... I am not looking to buy such costly trimmers. 2K or below will be good enough for me I think.

Last edited:
lots of philips oneblade versions are available in india. buy the one which is overall cheaper in price (new unit + blade replacements). they can be used for wet shaving, so a good option to combine with other razors for close shave.

a bikini trimmer (not the foil shaver kind) with external batteries will last forever. they are little cheaper than the men's versions and of course, the color will be odd.

both options will be under 2000.

Oh man, really sorry, I wrote wrong. I didn't mean single blade sheesh! ... I mean the Gillette twin blades, but those which are use and throw kind, the cheap ones. I use that first to shave first, and then Gillette twin blades, regular ones, for which the blade cartridge can be replaced.

I don't know how I wrote single blade... I will edit and correct my posts. Really sorry.

I have never used single blade man, I am scared of those lol. Those can cause nasty cuts :/. Since I started shaving, I have always used twin blades. I started using Gillette twin blades much later on.

You should go for twin blades, they have rare chance of cuts... only if you apply too much pressure, or somehow the angle gets bad, which is rare. You will like twin blades for sure. Gillette ones have really good quality and last longer, but yea, if you use it for heavy growth, it just kills the blades. That's why I am looking to buy a trimmer now.

Thanks for the suggestion. These do look good, but the problem with these will be, that they won't be available in local shops, and I will always have to order the cartridges from Amazon. Would like something which can be locally and readily available.

The one you posted link for, is just too costly for me... I am not looking to buy such costly trimmers. 2K or below will be good enough for me I think.
This is 1700 now btw, just noticed when checking the site. https://ibhejo.com/philips-norelco-multigroom-series-3000-13-attachment-ffp-mg3750

Hi all,

Then, I found unused twin blade Gillette use and throw razor which my brother had left at home, and I used it, and I tell you, it is so much better than the regular twin blades. I am still using that razor and it hasnt gotten bad like the twin blades, which cannot handle even one shave of grown hair.

So, I use the use and throw razor to first shave as much as possible, and then use the regular twin blades for a smooth shave, but yea, it still takes time.

Edit: corrected the post, as I wrote single blade instead of use and throw twin blade razor

i have been using this trimmer since ~3 yrs now. hadnt expected it to remain functional this long at the time of purchasing, but it has, that too without any issues. no complaints reg. quality too, looks & feels sturdy & top-notch, aesthetically pleasing, and battery-backup is really good. i had to purchase this because my previous panasonic trimmer (which also lasted for a long time) had started showing signs of age & wear & tear, and i had also broken its comb-attachment. bought this one without much expectations, and found myself to be pleasantly surprised. so can whole-heartedly recommend it (price has increased by 300 since, but acceptable. carries a 2-year warranty too).

Back