Light and good battery life but not a netbook!

The build quality of the Hp Dm1z or the X120e can't be compared with the x220. The x220 is on a different level and tbh I don't believe any Laptop can match the Thinkpad/Latitude ATG/ HP Elitebook when it comes to build quality. The thinkpad stands out among all the brands/laptops when it comes to build quality. Among Thinkpads the T,W and X series have best build quality and they cost a bomb due to the extensive use of magnesium/alloys to make the skeleton of the laptop to protect it in the course of rough use, then comes the L series and then the SL and at the very end comes the x120e. The build quality of the SL series and the x120e is comparable. But then that is way above whatever else is out there. Amongst all the ultraportables based on the Fusion, I would say the Hp Dm1z and the X120e have the best build quality. I have used both extensively for long periods and the Hp dm1z is prone to scratches due to the paint finish used but this happens over a period of time but it doesn't make any noticeable difference to the way it looks. The changes are visible when observed minutely.

Read this to understand why the x220 commands a premium over other laptops and the pedestrian, mediocre vaios that Jugga has been harping on about through out the thread. http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6056&review=lenovo+thinkpad+x220

I will make it simple - if you want a laptop to last you for atleast 3-5 years and offer upgradibility and extreme levels of customization, offer the best features, build quality and performance - go for the thinkpad

If you want something that you are looking to change in under 1-2 years at the most -- for that is what most laptops last for - go for anything else -- eg:- the sony vaio

It just doesn't justifies its cost.
sign42.gif

Haha..It justifies every single penny IMO.

Please compare the build quality of your DM1z to x220 (i guess this will be similar to x120e).

Also how much of a difference does it make to the usability by the slight increase in screen size. Is text a little more easy to read on x220?

While the X120e is well built it can't compare to the x220. The X220 is built according to US military specs, has a roll-cage etc...

http://www.ebay.com/...8#ht_9764wt_905 @ 780USD from ebay. If you hunt around a bit you can snag one for less than 650$.

BTW I got my Thinkpad x220 from the same seller. He shipped it to New Jersey in 4 days and then it was brought along by a friend's relative to India.

That is simply out of my budget. Even at $650 it comes to around 34k. If i had to spend that much, i saw a new samsung 12.5" model with a AMD Llano A-3420 proc. looked good and was light with an absolutely new processor.

while the amd apu powered laptops do have great battery life, the processing power is quite lacking, higher than atoms - lower than everything else. also 11.6 screen can be a pain if watch a movie with friends. if you willing to compromise on the battery life, you can go with 14 inchers powered by core i3 from asus (x43), toshiba (c640) or samsung (np300 - matte).

No I meant the samsung.

I meant the samsung was priced at around 35k
<

while the amd apu powered laptops do have great battery life, the processing power is quite lacking, higher than atoms - lower than everything else. also 11.6 screen can be a pain if watch a movie with friends. if you willing to compromise on the battery life, you can go with 14 inchers powered by core i3 from asus (x43), toshiba (c640) or samsung (np300 - matte).
As already mentioned battery life is a big concern. otherwise would have gone for 14" without a thought.

The fujitsu LH531 i mentioned is quoted to have over 5 hours battery on notebookcheck here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Fujitsu-Lifebook-LH531-Notebook.55821.0.html

Back