How to clean the inside of a washing machine and keep it that way

Which detergent powder to use for IFB front load machine? Ariel matic carton I was using just got finished, and a quick check on amazon giving me shivers, 250 per kg? Seriously bruh?
Further, can I use the normal surf excel stuff? Is it all business sales pitch with these so called recommended detergent for WMs?

Which detergent powder to use for IFB front load machine? Ariel matic carton I was using just got finished, and a quick check on amazon giving me shivers, 250 per kg? Seriously bruh?
Further, can I use the normal surf excel stuff? Is it all business sales pitch with these so called recommended detergent for WMs?
I'll rate Surf excel matic > Ariel matic. Ariel is just as good at cleaning but needs an extra rinse.

Don't use regular powder in a front load machine. Powders for these machines don't create that much lather, which increases the machine's life.

No doubt, these are expensive, but you can provide only half as much powder per cycle, and it still works just as good.

Thanks. Bought a surf matic liquid from local store. 175 for 1kg pack. Sorry, I couldn't trust Amazon for these things as the amount of B grade products are too much.

@blr_p It was surf excel easy wash. I did use it for 5 or 6 sessions in the machine.

Thanks. Bought a surf matic liquid from local store. 175 for 1kg pack. Sorry, I couldn't trust Amazon for these things as the amount of B grade products are too much.
What colour is the packet?

I got it from big basket so there are other options including offline stores

I don't use liquids much as I use prewash as well as timer for washes. In the first case the liquid from main compartment will run into the prewash cycle and be wasted. And in the case of timer the liquid could harden if left exposed for hours.
@blr_p It was surf excel easy wash. I did use it for 5 or 6 sessions in the machine.
That's a hand-wash detergent and not suitable for a front loader. It will foam excessively and result in a poorer wash

And it's prolonged use will not be good for the machine

Last edited:
What colour is the packet?

I got it from big basket so there are other options including offline stores

I don't use liquids much as I use prewash as well as timer for washes. In the first case the liquid from main compartment will run into the prewash cycle and be wasted. And in the case of timer the liquid could harden if left exposed for hours.

That's a hand-wash detergent and not suitable for a front loader. It will foam excessively and result in a poorer wash

And it's prolonged use will not be good for the machine
packaging has changed for the liquid now

Last edited:
@sauravghosh Any washing powder for a Front load will mention the word "Matic" to distinguish itself from top load and semi-auto washing machine powder.
matic is mentioned in all machine powders.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 11.09.02 PM.png

how are presto washing powders?
Don't bother. Stick to either Ariel or Surf

That is from the pov of long term use and whether it's safe for the machine. Will these powders work for cleaning clothes otherwise. Yes, to an extent. So why not use them and save money?

^This review and others speaks of a white powder residue left behind. He refers to Presto as Surf which is the generic term for washing powder.

Most likely some filler which is present in other powders too but the difference is in over eight years I've never seen such white residue left on my glass door with HUL Surf and suspect Presto won't be good for the internals of the front loader over the long term

When using cheaper brands these are the telltale signs to look out for. Does the drain pump filter appear more coated than before. Is the glass door showing residue. If it is then go back to branded.

Check this post and look at the white residue on the drum. At the time we were wondering what it was. Scale or not.

No, it was filler from any cheap detergent that collected over a long period. I've no idea how to chemically remove such a residue once the drum and spider get coated. And after that it's a matter of time before the spider fails.

Citric acid may help with removal

^A more revealing review

The white powder is lime. Caustic lime or slaked lime. Calcium hydroxide. This powder isn't very soluble, about 1gm dissolves per half litre and will deposit itself in the internals. Even in boiling water it remains sparingly soluble.

It could even cause sensor malfunctioning as this reviewer found. No wonder other reviewers were complaining about detergent residue in the clothes even with a warm wash.

^Presto for front loader is not suitable for front loader because it foams too much

Presto is an example of a 'B grade' product and is why to always stick to branded detergent @sauravghosh

At least in India because Amazon has outsourced Presto powder to some local supplier. In the EU there are strict standards for detergent so if you see presto reviews from EU countries they won't be so bad. Don't get misled.

Last edited:
Back