Budget 51-70k How to check a brand new Laptop/PC

zoozoo

Recruit
I need guidance from my TE family. I have ordered a brand new laptop online from Amazon India, which will be delivered very soon. How do I confirm that the product is absolutely brand new? The only method which I'm aware off is by checking the physical box, if it is sealed or not. But these days relying only on physical condition is not good since the seals can be tampered with, specially in online deliveries. So is there any other way, using some software etc, using which it can be confirmed that the laptop is a brand new unused product. The brand I ordered is a Lenovo laptop. Can someone please guide me?

seals are tamperproof, if broken they can't be put back.

use the serial number on the lenovo website and see the warranty status. sometimes, the warranty would start a few months prior to your buy date, doesn't mean it is an old laptop, you need to get in touch with customer care & they will reset the warranty dates.

Check the physical condition. There are multiple seals, like charger cable will be in a separate packet, there will be a plastic or fabric wrap around the laptop etc.

Check unboxing videos on youtube for your specific model or some other model in the same lineup to see what the packaging is like.

You can't rely on any single seal or any single thing to make a judgement.

For eg., last year I ordered a ASUS laptop from Amazon (Cloudtail or Appario) and an Intel processor from Flipkart (RetailNet). Both got delivered on the same afternoon and both had the tamper proof seal broken. I was sad and angry to say the least. Then I noticed that the insides of the laptop are untouched, all the items are packed as they were in online unboxing videos, there were small fine carton dust inside the packaging that is often present in the new laptop. I checked everything, everything was as it should be other than the outer seal which was placed on the box.

Then I closely inspected the seals to see if there are any nail marks or anything similar around the corners or the seal, there were none. It felt as if the glue gave way and the seal just came off. I googled this and then I found out that sometimes when boxes are handled roughly (multiple falls or dunno), the seals might come off looking like that. I ordered the items in a remote town so maybe they were handled very roughly while transporting.

So yes, as @singenaadam and @gourav already told, look into all the things, veryfying serial number, watch multiple youtube unboxings and compare them with your product, etc.

Back