Confused between netbook & notebook: Reliability & performance related query

sato1986

Skilled
Hi folks,

In a very urgent need of a portable netbook/laptop for work purpose.

Required size: 11inches - 14inches

Budget: ~ 20k-25k (Has to be a VFM purchase)

Usage:

Adobe photoshop 20%

MS Excel 25%

Mail, multiple tabs in browser 30%

Movies+Music+Gaming 25%

Is my above usage graphics oriented or processor oriented?

Priority:

Performance & Portability & Reliability & VFM > Battery Life

After browsing many TE threads, narrowed down to these two

Product Comparison : VAIOâ„¢ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

My query:

1. How inferior will the E-450 with HD6320 be when compared to Sandy i3 with HD3000

2. Comparison between the maintenence/reliability of a Netbook vs. Notebook

3. Anywhere I can find a review for these, so that I could compare build quality, speaker quality and keyboard quality?

4. Are there any better options in 11"-14" range which offer either better performance or offer cheaper same-spec hardware?

5. Reliable and cheap place to buy from? (I'm from Chandigarh, incase someone wants to suggest local stores)

sato1986 said:
Usage:
Adobe photoshop 20%
MS Excel 25%
Movies+Music+Gaming 25%
Is my above usage graphics oriented or processor oriented?

Don't get me wrong buddy but Gaming, Photoshop & Netbooks don't go hand in hand. Reason for it being so is partially because most of the times they over heat and hang on being stressed to much with heavy applications. Your Netbook battery life will not be much if you use applications or games which tax the notebook.

-I would suggest you better go with the notebook as then you can do a wide range of tasks that you want to do. You can also get a notebook which gives a good battery backup. I am not sure on this but you can ask for a larger battery(8-9 cell if the laptop supports) while ordering the laptop for which I think you might have to specifically buy from a the manufacturer's outlet.

Hope it helps. :)

Adobe photoshop 20%

MS Excel 25%

Movies+Music+Gaming 25%

You can do all this better or equally well with the E-450 & 6320.

i3 will definitely help with Adobe photoshop.

I say go for E450 - Laptops are going to suck in adobe photoshop.

With E450 vs i3 its only the matter of - to which degree will the laptop suck!!!

consider other apps -go for E450 that seems to be the logical choice to me.

I run photoshop on my HP DM1z regularly along with SQL server, Microsoft expression web and Microsoft sharepoint. It can also run Centos and Fedora properly. Don't go for the new HP DM1 its not as well built as the last gen DM1z and performance difference is negligible. The Hp DM1z I own is routinely used to run 1080p rips on my tv connected via the HDMI cable. Although the small 11.5 inch screen will take some getting used to if you are used to larger displays. You easily upgrade the DM1z with additional ram upto 8 gb and swap the hdd with any ssd/high capacity hdd (my dm1z runs a 500gb hdd) in under 5 minutes. It also gives me 5 -6 hours of battery life because I really thrash the laptop. In the 6 months that I have used the laptop daily for over 10 hours each day the battery degradation has been remarkably low at 10%. I often have to travel in my line of work and the HP dm1z is a frequent flier/commuter's best friend. It perfectly fits into the tray of the seat in a budget airline and often will entertain you on long train journeys without the need to connect to the socket. I watched movies and worked on my DM1z on the entire length of the 7 hours journey between mumbai and ahmedabad by train and it still had enough juice to go on for another 1 hour after I reached home. The Hp DM1z can handle gaming at low resolutions as well. Check my review on the HP DM1z to find out more about this laptop. I would prefer the Hp dm1z over the other amd fusion based solutions for its solid build quality and overall performance and battery life when compared to the other e-350 based laptops around.
The E-350 is therefore a worthy purchase on all counts unless your emphasis lies on more performance and less battery life. In which case any core i3 based laptop will suffice.

sunny27 said:
I run photoshop on my HP DM1z regularly along with SQL server, Microsoft expression web and Microsoft sharepoint. It can also run Centos and Fedora properly. Don't go for the new HP DM1 its not as well built as the last gen DM1z and performance difference is negligible. The Hp DM1z I own is routinely used to run 1080p rips on my tv connected via the HDMI cable. Although the small 11.5 inch screen will take some getting used to if you are used to larger displays. You easily upgrade the DM1z with additional ram upto 8 gb and swap the hdd with any ssd/high capacity hdd (my dm1z runs a 500gb hdd) in under 5 minutes. It also gives me 5 -6 hours of battery life because I really thrash the laptop. In the 6 months that I have used the laptop daily for over 10 hours each day the battery degradation has been remarkably low at 10%. I often have to travel in my line of work and the HP dm1z is a frequent flier/commuter's best friend. It perfectly fits into the tray of the seat in a budget airline and often will entertain you on long train journeys without the need to connect to the socket. I watched movies and worked on my DM1z on the entire length of the 7 hours journey between mumbai and ahmedabad by train and it still had enough juice to go on for another 1 hour after I reached home. The Hp DM1z can handle gaming at low resolutions as well. Check my review on the HP DM1z to find out more about this laptop. I would prefer the Hp dm1z over the other amd fusion based solutions for its solid build quality and overall performance and battery life when compared to the other e-350 based laptops around.
The E-350 is therefore a worthy purchase on all counts unless your emphasis lies on more performance and less battery life. In which case any core i3 based laptop will suffice.

Dude thats one hell of a man's best friend(companion) you have !! :)
By the way OP you must lay your hands on one of these models if you can from anywhere and check it if it satisfies your criteria !!

I sold my HP DM1z right now for 20k. Local pickup from my place. i sold it with 6gb of ram and the brand new unused unopened transcend external dvd writer.

Thanks everyone for the useful input.

Since my work involves clicking pic, photoshopping immediately and presenting to client, I guess the display quality will play a major role.

Also, I would require to sometimes operate the notebook like a smartphone (yes, adding data while standing/walking around). Damn, now I feel like having a look at Galaxy note too :p

Rightly said, I need to visit a nearby store, and actually TRY (walking around with) a netbook and a notebook comparitively.

Currently this one feels to suit me, but I'm clueless about it's display quality.

Asus X Series X44H-VX025D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

Now that the DM1z is outdated, any good netbook contenders?

Back