Budget 0-20k Choosing between Macbook Air or Windows laptop?

headgreen

Recruit
I am considering between Macbook Air and Windows laptop and would like to get opinions regarding the 2020 Air. I would have preferred the Pro but its base version is still using 8th gen Intel processor and I am looking to keep this new laptop for 5-6 years, so future software compatibility is also a priority.
I have been using Windows for most of the work so would prefer it since switching to Mac would be a bit of a learning curve, on the other hand, it will be easier to sync with iPhone. I do a lot of coding and connecting to remote Linux servers and MacOS with its terminal would be useful but new Windows also offers a terminal though it may not be as full-fledged as on macOS. Most of the days, the laptop is on 6-8 hours continuously though not heavy load.
Both Macbook Air and Microsoft Surface laptop 3 are around the $1000 range, Air looks tempting because I can dual boot Windows which I guess I will be using until I get familiar with macOS. The surface laptop has Wifi6 which would make it more future proof and there are posts on this forum regarding the Air overheating and also YouTube videos causing overheating because of codec incompatibility.
So is the Macbook Air a good choice in this case?

for your use case, its MBA is best.. do not touch windows at all.. Based on my experience, unless some one has hardcore windows requirement, like in my case i cannot live without visual studio, there is no benefit windows laptops has over MBA. Only thing, make sure you go for 16GB RAM version.. 8GB is not at all sufficient unless intended usage is just limited for web browsing.

I would advise against the MacBook if you are referring to the early 2020 Intel version. The 2020 M1 MBA is a different beast altogether. Just make sure there are no compatibility issues with any of your tools that would otherwise work fine on Intel Macs. These issues are mostly solved and should only get better over time.

I've tried multiple Intel MBPs at work and currently own an M1 MBA which I much prefer. Very snappy, silent and excellent battery life. No heating issues and most of the time it's cold to the touch. Since its fan-less no worries about periodic cleaning etc. As suggested above get the 16GB version if it's going to be your primary work machine or you plan to keep it for a long time.

If you need Windows for work or gaming down the line, I suggest building your own PC. This is what I did. Best of both worlds!

I thought there is an ARM version of Windows 10?
Apple Silicon is not just another ARM chip, it's a customized version. Usual ARM software won't run on it.
Also, ARM version of Windows 10 is nowhere near as stable as the x86 version.

Edit: It turns out it is possible to run Windows ARM on M1 Mac. Apologies for posting without verifying first.

Last edited:
I am considering between Macbook Air and Windows laptop and would like to get opinions regarding the 2020 Air. I would have preferred the Pro but its base version is still using 8th gen Intel processor and I am looking to keep this new laptop for 5-6 years, so future software compatibility is also a priority.
I have been using Windows for most of the work so would prefer it since switching to Mac would be a bit of a learning curve, on the other hand, it will be easier to sync with iPhone. I do a lot of coding and connecting to remote Linux servers and MacOS with its terminal would be useful but new Windows also offers a terminal though it may not be as full-fledged as on macOS. Most of the days, the laptop is on 6-8 hours continuously though not heavy load.
Both Macbook Air and Microsoft Surface laptop 3 are around the $1000 range, Air looks tempting because I can dual boot Windows which I guess I will be using until I get familiar with macOS. The surface laptop has Wifi6 which would make it more future proof and there are posts on this forum regarding the Air overheating and also YouTube videos causing overheating because of codec incompatibility.
So is the Macbook Air a good choice in this case?
I have Surface laptop and macbook pro m1.

I rarely touch Surface.

on a lighter note, where do you get an air for 20k?

agree with the macbook, only bummers - connect hdmi, the macbook screen never goes off.
close the lid and connect a macbook via usbc to a monitor, with power from monitor hub via the usbc, power goes off macbook goes off/ standby

apart from these two issues that piss me of personally, macbook is great!
however i personally prefer my hp elitebook with an ips panel fhd, touch. also prefer linux[fedora] to macos

on a lighter note, where do you get an air for 20k?

agree with the macbook, only bummers - connect hdmi, the macbook screen never goes off.
close the lid and connect a macbook via usbc to a monitor, with power from monitor hub via the usbc, power goes off macbook goes off/ standby

apart from these two issues that piss me of personally, macbook is great!
however i personally prefer my hp elitebook with an ips panel fhd, touch. also prefer linux[fedora] to macos
Title needs correction I guess :p OP is talking about macbook air.

Back