The Apple iPad Mini is now available in India (along with the Apple iPad 4, which was covered earlier). But unlike every new Apple product (or like their new ones, these days), the iPad Mini isn’t a new revolution. It doesn’t bring half as much excitement as previous new Apple products usually accompany with their launch. The iPad Mini comes into a world dominated by something far better yet cheaper, the Google Nexus 7 tablet. Nevertheless, an Apple product is after all an Apple product, and people will buy it regardless of the price premium. This guide can be useful if you’re looking to buy one.
The Apple iPad Mini
The iPad Mini is the latest entrant to Apple’s portfolio of products. After the extremely successful launch of the Apple iPad two years ago (which literally shaped the industry into what it is today), Apple finally decided to step into the growing niche of 7″ tablets that are currently (and in the future) dominated by Android running devices priced all the way from a lowly $49 up to $249 for the best products (such as Google’s very own Nexus 7 made by ASUS, more on that later).
After months of denial, Apple finally announced their own mid sized tablet. Maybe it was their own arrogance that they had once denied to ever make a 7″ device, or that they simply had some other number in mind before hand that the iPad Mini’s display has an odd size of 7.9″. While at it, it shares an ancient 4:3 aspect ratio (much like the iPad) unlike the 16:9 ratio that most Android tablets stick to. And to be honest, a 16:9 widescreen device (or even a 15:9) is quite more comfortable, and who wouldn’t complain of a device that plays movies, without the big black bezel on either ends.
Moving on, we have the iPad Mini specifications. Have a look.
Apple iPad Mini Full Specifications
- Apple A5 chipset
- 1 GHz dual core ARM Cortex A9 CPU
- PowerVR SGX543 MP2 GPU
- 512 MB of RAM
- 7.9″ XGA (1024*728) display (162 ppi)
- LED-backlit IPS LCD with Oleophobic coating
- 5 MP rear camera, 1080p video @ 30 fps
- 1.2 MP front camera, 720p @ 30 fps
- 16/32/64 GB of internal storage
- Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
- 16.3 Wh Li-Po battery
- 308 grams weight, 7.2 mm thick
- Apple iOS 6 (Siri integrated)
- The chipset is the same as the iPad 2, as well as the display resolution. We are talking pretty weak graphics here in comparision to Apple’s more recent products, such as the iPad 3/4 or the iPhone 5.
- The display resolution is also the same as the original iPad and iPad 2. Not too shabby, but it falls on the lower side (162 ppi pixels density) compared to the HD displays that most Android tablets at the 7″ range are equipped with.
- 512 MB of RAM again falls on the lower side. However, Apple’s excellent OS optimization (something Microsoft has followed with it’s WP7/8) makes sure you never feel any slowdowns.
- The device is nicely made, with a premium feel. It weighs in on an average 308 grams. The 7.2 mm thickness is worth noting.
- iOS 6 with Siri is a nice combination. It’s good to see Siri hasn’t been abandoned on a less premium product. But then again, the new iPod Touch range also got Siri integrated, so we were already expecting this to be pre-included in the software.
Various iPad Mini Models for Sale
The iPad Mini comes in various flavors that include models with WiFi only and those with cellular radio, as well as varying amounts of internal storage (the iPad Mini, like other Apple products has no expandable storage option). The various iPad Mini models for sale (in India) are as follows:
- iPad Mini WiFi 16 GB – Rs. 21,900 (click on link)
- iPad Mini WiFi 32 GB – Rs. 27,900
- iPad Mini WiFi 64 GB - Rs. 35,900
- iPad Mini WiFi + 3G 32 GB - Rs. 35,900
- iPad Mini WiFi + 3G 64 GB - Rs. 41,900
As you can see, the prices are tad (way) on the higher side. The 16 GB iPad Mini costs Rs. 21,900. For that price (actually, lesser), you can have yourself a Google Nexus 7 tablet with 32 GB of internal storage. The same can be purchased off eBay India.
Google Nexus 7 Prices
- Nexus 7 WiFi 32 GB – Rs. 20,650 (click on link)
- Nexus 7 WiFi + 3G 32 GB – Rs. 24,999 (click on link)
As you can see, there is a world of a difference in the pricing between the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7, and the price premium is simply not worth it!
Best iPad Mini Deals in India – Rs. 19,400
Currently, Homeshop18 is running a deal. There is a certain coupon, using which you can purchase the iPad Mini for just Rs. 19,400.
The coupon code is: GCMN31SP15FA
This coupon code slashes Rs. 2,500 off the price of the iPad Mini base model (WiFi, 16 GB). Follow the link to the product page: