Windows 9 Is Coming: No Start Button, Launch Date in November 2014

I agree that Windows 8 is all about future but let me remind you it is not the first change in 20 years as you said,first change is vista and it's aero interface.
Talking about the future it is all about Ultra portables and M$ has realized this and that's the reason behind windows 8 and major changes.

No wonder windows 8 future looks promising but at this time windows 7 is still the best desktop os released till date.

The moment you boot, press Win + D. No more un-needed Metro apps. Everything looks like Win 7 and performs way better.
Also, people need to realize that Search is a redesigned glorified Start Menu. A couple of alphabets in and it almost never ever fails to point out what you need.

I work on both, Win 7 @ work and Win 8 @ home. Other than accessing URLs needing the company's VPN, I do all my work on the Win 8 machine. Faster, more stable, sleek and overall easier to operate.

Ya, the search is a good function. Just first 2-3 letters and the option pulls up. People have to break away from the shackles of "remember me/click me" --> to "find me/click". The latter is much more global and holistic. To be honest, even the "find" in Win 7 was decent (or Vista); and after a while on Win7 I had started to use "find me". Who the heck wants to remember how deep down in the hierarchy Power Management is. LOL.

I agree that Windows 8 is all about future but let me remind you it is not the first change in 20 years as you said,first change is vista and it's aero interface.
Talking about the future it is all about Ultra portables and M$ has realized this and that's the reason behind windows 8 and major changes.

No wonder windows 8 future looks promising but at this time windows 7 is still the best desktop os released till date.

no, i would give that honor to win 8.

Ya, the search is a good function. Just first 2-3 letters and the option pulls up. People have to break away from the shackles of "remember me/click me" --> to "find me/click". The latter is much more global and holistic. To be honest, even the "find" in Win 7 was decent (or Vista); and after a while on Win7 I had started to use "find me". Who the heck wants to remember how deep down in the hierarchy Power Management is. LOL.

To take that a step further, in Windows 8 you can deep pin to the Start screen. If you use Power Management often, you can just pin that. You can pin not only apps but functions, people, places, objects, settings etc, virtually anything from within apps. And of course, for the deep pins from WinRT, all the tiles are live. And if you don't have something pinned, just type away and it will search. The power of Start screen is seriously underestimated. It's truly awesome - everything you need right at your fingertips. How anyone could say the old Start menu is better is beyond me. What is more, it will only get better, Windows Blue is said to improve Search further by having a completely integrated search.

Just found out one more new addition in win8. spotfix in checkdisk. it ran on my external disk which i just repaired in about a minute a few minutes ago.

CHKDSK enhanced for Windows 8 - Storage - News - HEXUS.net
In essence, the system now detects errors in-flight and, as usual, attempts to self-heal, with Microsoft boosting the number of error types that the Windows 8 CHKDSK can automatically handle. Failing to repair, CHKDSK performs a further 'spot scan' to identify if the error is related to a memory glitch or the hard-disk itself, ensuring that corrupted memory doesn't cause the system to kick off any unnecessary scans. After confirming that the error is real, an online system scan is started in the background, typically ran during moments of CPU idleness, identifying points of error, logging corrective measures and informing the user/admin.

Redesigning chkdsk and the new NTFS health model - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Back