Windows 8 to Windows 7 - Not able to install [HELP - URGENT]

Mohit

Skilled
I am using a Sony Vaio netbook. I have 2 partitions on the same C and D. I had Windows 8 on the C drive and all my backup and data on D drive.

Now I decided to go back to Windows 7 x64 and made a bootable USB of Windows 7 and changed "UEFI" option to "Legacy" in the BIOS boot settings and booted using the USB drive. I delete the existing C drive and all other system related partitions except my D drive partition and then I was taken aback as I am not able to go ahead with installing Windows 7 in the new unallocated space.

I get the error that "Windows will not be able to install as its a GPT partition". Now I am stuck as all my data is on D and I have already deleted the C drive and I am not able to install Win 7 on it either.

Please help me and advise on how can I go ahead with the install or how can I at least take a backup of my data.

Try with linux bootable . Maybe ubuntu . Manually partition the free space to fat32 or ntfs . From ubuntu install click partation disk manually . Then don't install linux . After saving changes to partation table reboot with win7 usb ,

Try with linux bootable . Maybe ubuntu . Manually partition the free space to fat32 or ntfs . From ubuntu install click partation disk manually . Then don't install linux . After saving changes to partation table reboot with win7 usb ,

Will I be able to see and access the D drive if I install Ubuntu? I am really concerned about the data in the D drive. I want it anyhow. Please help.

Do not touch d drive in msnual partition . They will be listed as sda1 sda2 and so on . You need to have a slight working knowledge of linux t8 do this . Else download a free partition software and make bootable usb and proceed .

Do not touch d drive in msnual partition . They will be listed as sda1 sda2 and so on . You need to have a slight working knowledge of linux t8 do this . Else download a free partition software and make bootable usb and proceed .
I have never used any Linux OS before. I am going to download Ubuntu X64 now. Hoping all goes well. Damn, this is scary !

You can use any bootable CD like Hiren's and use the file manager to tranfer your data from that partition to external drive. Once you have secured all your data then re-install Windows 7 by deleting all the partitions and create a new partition scheme.

Booting from GPT is only supported for 64 bit editions of Windows 7 (and Vista) on UEFI based systems.
If you have disabled UEFI in bios, you won't be able to install windows 7 in GPT. Either try enabling UEFI in bios or backup your data and repartition your HDD into MBR parttion.

To repartition it you have to prepare your HDD by cleaning all partitions on it, Just boot from Windows 7 dvd (normal OS installation DVD). Enter into command line and use these commands.
>Diskpart
>list disk
>select disk # (type no of your HDD displayed after previous command, most probabaly it will be 0)
>clean
>exit
Now your HDD would be ready to create new partitions and you could partition it easily during Windows 7 installation process.

You can use any bootable CD like Hiren's and use the file manager to tranfer your data from that partition to external drive. Once you have secured all your data then re-install Windows 7 by deleting all the partitions and create a new partition scheme.

Thanks mate. Best answer. I downloaded a bootable copy of Hiren's Boot CD and got into the mini Windows XP mode. I am right now copying the data from my HDD to my portable HDD. Thanks again.

Booting from GPT is only supported for 64 bit editions of Windows 7 (and Vista) on UEFI based systems.
If you have disabled UEFI in bios, you won't be able to install windows 7 in GPT. Either try enabling UEFI in bios or backup your data and repartition your HDD into MBR parttion. .

I had disabled UEFI earlier because I was not able to boot from my Windows 7 USB stick in the UEFI mode. As soon as I changed the setting to Legacy mode it worked. I plan to install Windows 7 x64 on the machine after copying my data as mentioned above. I will delete all my partitions using the Windows 7 Bootable USB during setup and then repartition and install the OS. By the way, how do I enter into command line from the bootable Windows 7 X64 USB stick?

And do I need to keep UEFI enabled or something? Does it have any advantages over Legacy mode?

When the Install Windows Window appears, press Shift-F10. This shortcut opens a CMD.

You need to disable UEFI in bios to create MBR Boot partitions. No advantage for normal PC user.

Last edited:
Back