Window AC + Stablizer in 40k range

kartikoli

Skilled
i need a window ac for my hot room which is around 200sqft and have direct sunlight on one side of a wall and sealing. Currently i was using voltas vertis 2Ton window ac and i never had any issue but now i have sold it as it started giving problem after 6yrs of use

Now i believe any good ac of 1.5Ton is sufficient for this room so looking for suggestion

What i want
- good cooling
- good ASS
- good build quality
- dont need star rated ac as my other ac does the job and i am ok with any star

I can shell out 30~35k and even more if the product is worth (we dont buy ac every yr.). I am currently looking at hitachi , general ac's but can go for other company if it packs a punch

SECONDLY need a suitable stabilizer for this AC ~5k budget (separate)

Well for Window AC I would recommend you go for the O'General window AC. Its amazing and using in my office for past 7 years without any issue. Cools fast inspite of being an office where in many people move about and door remain open off and on.

For Stabilizers usually the AC person would recommend it, but I have had good experience with VGuard stabilizers but there are plenty available and for our house we got a custom servo stabilizer made from a local vendor and even that is running fine without any issues.

@prtk
there are few negative reviews about O'General manufactured in india so its impossible to know if i am getting a Japanese model also i am not sure which model to go with. can you confirm the model you are using in your office
http://www.ezoneonline.in/Products/...-AXZA18ABTH-15-Ton-Window-AC/pid-2773033.aspx
http://www.infibeam.com/Air_Conditi...e#variantId=P-E-HA-O-General-AXGT18AATH-White

for hitach i dont know what the difference between these models and which one to go with
http://shopping.indiatimes.com/elec...-1-5-ton-window-ac-rav518htd/10292/p_B1562500
http://shopping.indiatimes.com/elec...-1-5-ton-window-ac-rat518htd/10292/p_B1562494

EDIT: how are Lloyd AC's as my relative have a 1.0Ton window ac and they are really satisfied with the performance

Ok I guess as it was around 7 years back it might have been the imported one. Will need to check so will let you know. Not seen anyone with Lloyds AC. There are many brands in the market, so overall its difficult to choose. But main factors would be its cooling efficiency, power consumption and after sales support. That way I have once Croma Portable AC which is also great so I guess it all adds up to how your local service unit is. I have had good experience with Japanese manufacturing companies compared to others in the market.

@kartikoli Why would you want to buy a window AC in 2013? As far as I know, they are not even as energy efficient as Split AC's.
For your use though, Inverter AC's will give you lots of savings. But for 1.5Ton, you will have to shell out another 10k.

You should start looking at the BEE star ratings. They will help you save lots of money in electricity charge over the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
@hotshot05 I think sometimes it is not feasible at certain locations to install a split AC. Like in my office too between a split and a window the dealer said that it was easier and more practical to have a window AC installed. One advantage with window AC as per my knowledge is that it helps get fresh air too and not just rotate air inside the room. Secondly between a 5star window / spit or inverter the overall difference in the amount of electricity saved is a lot less than the additional investment. Between a window and inverter AC the cost difference would be appx. 15k. Now to recover that amount would take over 5 years even if usage is high. Usually between them the savings are around 500-800 a month if used for around 10 hours a day and say if he runs it for six months a year thats around 3000 savings. Hence, even at that rate it would take around 5 years to recover only the additional investment. Hence, the use of inverter / split changes from situation to situation.

@kartikoli Why would you want to buy a window AC in 2013? As far as I know, they are not even as energy efficient as Split AC's.
For your use though, Inverter AC's will give you lots of savings. But for 1.5Ton, you will have to shell out another 10k.

You should start looking at the BEE star ratings. They will help you save lots of money in electricity charge over the long run.
for me its much easier to install a window ac as i can use my old ac hole and its just a matter of time for installation where as i'll have to pay atleast 1500rs to install split ac and additional money depending on the extra pipe also i am not too bothered about star rating as there is not much of a difference as @prtk explained (will be using my other ac too)

@hotshot05 I think sometimes it is not feasible at certain locations to install a split AC. Like in my office too between a split and a window the dealer said that it was easier and more practical to have a window AC installed. One advantage with window AC as per my knowledge is that it helps get fresh air too and not just rotate air inside the room. Secondly between a 5star window / spit or inverter the overall difference in the amount of electricity saved is a lot less than the additional investment. Between a window and inverter AC the cost difference would be appx. 15k. Now to recover that amount would take over 5 years even if usage is high. Usually between them the savings are around 500-800 a month if used for around 10 hours a day and say if he runs it for six months a year thats around 3000 savings. Hence, even at that rate it would take around 5 years to recover only the additional investment. Hence, the use of inverter / split changes from situation to situation.

You are not going to change the AC within 5 years anyway. I have no idea for how long people use the same AC, but there is a photocopying shop in my neighbourhood who has been using the same AC for the last 12-15 years.

I do not know what is the cost of electricity in your city, but in mine, the charge per unit is rising by Re. 0.50 - 0.75/unit almost every year. And with there being reports that there is a crisis of good quality coal, the cost of electricity may rise steeply in the next 4-5 years.

The cost of electricity is definitely going to go up with each passing year. Also the efficiency of an AC would also degrade over the years of usage.. My Window AC is rated as 1.95 Kw but now it consumes 2.53Kw each hr. Its eight years old.

got quote from local market

carier 2star -25k
llyod 5 star - 26.5k
godrej 3star - 25.5k
bluestar 2star- 25k
hitachi QC 5star - 35k
ogeneral 3star -31k

@kartikoli - congrats on your purchase and do provide your feedback in terms of cooling and actual power consumption and say some time later a service review too :)

Back