Video Will DTH be better than whatever I'm currently using?

ithehappy

Adept
I live in a semi-urban area near Kolkata and here from past two months analog signal has been officially withdrawn. We were using STB since 2012 though, but were paying just Rs.200 per month. From last month the charge has been increased to Rs.325 per month. Our STB is of Hathway, the model no. is C9000, now I'm not sure if it's digital or not! I get all the channels. Now what I was wondering, other DTH providers like Tata Sky, Dish or AirTel, are their picture quality better than this? I won't be getting any HD channels, because I only watch football, and there's no Star Sports HD afaik (besides the TV is not full HD anyway), so I'll be getting SD channels if I switch over. It just feels like if I'm paying 325 for this, I can pay another 100 if the picture quality is better.
Thanks in advance.

I think you need to sit down and do some research about channel options first, look around in the forums. Just to give you a start TATA SKY HD has ESPN HD, STAR CRICKET HD (Which airs Cricket as well as EPL), TEN HD incoming in some time. During IPL Sony Six HD gets aired.

Lol, I know about channel options and packages very well. I know there is ESPN HD, and some other as well, but from this season I see that Star Sports is showing EPL matches (Man United ones to be precise) and they don't have any HD channel.
I asked a different question btw.

Wrong. Manchester United matches are usually in HD. If you need an answer to whether you should buy an HD Box for a non HDTV then..

I'm a united fan as well (refer to my avatar) and if suggest you to take any stb which has ESPN HD. Most of our premier league matches are broadcasted in HD on ESPN HD.

I personally have tata sky plus.

Tata sky or other DTH operators do give good picture clarity. I'm not zsurew if its better than Hathaway, why don't you have a look in a showroom? Plus you'll want to go with HD channel, ESPN HD is awesome watching those football matches in HD is a real treat. You'll never come back to SD.. Try to upgrade your TV as well, a compact led TV perhaps?

Plus most of the times Star Cricket HD also shows the EPL/LaLiga matches. Haven't had to watch even one ManU match in SD. I am on Airtel and watching football is the only reason I bought a plasma and a HD DTH connection

If you need an answer to whether you should buy an HD Box for a non HDTV then..
About the bold part, I have nothing to say, other than reading the OP carefully before replying!
Tata sky or other DTH operators do give good picture clarity. I'm not zsurew if its better than Hathaway, why don't you have a look in a showroom? Plus you'll want to go with HD channel, ESPN HD is awesome watching those football matches in HD is a real treat. You'll never come back to SD.. Try to upgrade your TV as well, a compact led TV perhaps?
Thanks, I did check a local Tata Sky dealer, but they always have HD on, I want to see SD too.
And thanks, but I don't have any intention to buy a new TV yet, sticking with my old Bravia.
Thanks. Looks like I am switching.
But there must be one user who was in same situation like me, switched from Hathway to some DTH provider and have a concrete answer on SD picture quality.

Last edited:
I switched from Hathaway to DTH but I didn't use the same TV so can't give you a real comparison. On my Plasma SD channels don't look as good as they did on Hathaway on my Sony TV. Worst is Ten Action. Star Sports is okish but I really try not to watch any SD content on it. I don't think you will see any benefit in SD channels. One of the reasons I didn't move to DTH before since I didn't have a HD TV.

I switched from Hathaway to DTH but I didn't use the same TV so can't give you a real comparison. On my Plasma SD channels don't look as good as they did on Hathaway on my Sony TV. Worst is Ten Action. Star Sports is okish but I really try not to watch any SD content on it. I don't think you will see any benefit in SD channels. One of the reasons I didn't move to DTH before since I didn't have a HD TV.
Okay, thanks. Mine isn't Plasma, it's just a normal 6½ years old LCD TV. Found the spec page, http://www.sony-asia.com/product/klv-26s200a/specs No way I am buying a new TV but as I see mine has a resolution of 1366x768, so it'd not be a great idea watching 1080P contents in it......hmm.....:(
My TV and DTH is in Howrah so if you wish to view it on person you can come over with some beer and we can watch the next premier league match together. ;)
Wow, thanks bro. I will definitely come one day. I stay in Uttarpara, don't know if you have heard of it or not, lol.

Surely I know where it is. One of my best friends lives there. To come to my house from there you have to take the train to Howrah maidan and after that a bus!

Lol, I know, I had my tuitions over there for more than two years, Maidan area, and there was a stop called Shamashree cinema or something. Best friend here?

Now what I was wondering, other DTH providers like Tata Sky, Dish or AirTel, are their picture quality better than this?
I'm not sure how one would assess the picture 'quality' between these choices. We have no clue how much compression is done or not.

your tv supports 720p/1080i resolution signals ....afaik tatasky dish airtel are providing hd content upto that scale only.

I'm not sure how one would assess the picture 'quality' between these choices. We have no clue how much compression is done or not.
They don't need to. I asked if their picture quality is different ( here different means better ) than what I'm currently using ( I don't know how mine is a digital signal when the cable line is still there! ), and I know that there's no difference, at least not visible to human eyes, between all these DTH operators. I think you missed my point.
your tv supports 720p/1080i resolution signals ....afaik tatasky dish airtel are providing hd content upto that scale only.
There is no 1080p transmission india,all HD channels in india are 1080i which is supported by your tv.
Wow, great. How come all my friends who have DTH were wrong!

Last edited:
Lol no one said all man utd games will be shown live on ESPN HD. If you require it, I guess you can try searching for a HD stream on internet or simply move to UK and get sky subscription :)

Back