Wi-Fi dongle & internet sharing

himadri_sm

Disciple
i have a reliance 1mbps unlimited connection. i have to login to access the internet.the login stays for 24 hrs.i want to share this connection between two PC's...my own desktop & a laptop...the laptop has Wi- Fi in it..can i buy a Wi- Fi dongle & then share the network connection? is it possible?if so please tell me how?

Yes. you can share the connection. Just buy any USB or PCi based Wi-Fi Dongle/Card.

Enable ICS on your reliance connection.

Mention your OS for step by step configuration.

Thanx.

cisco_tech said:
Yes. you can share the connection. Just buy any USB or PCi based Wi-Fi Dongle/Card.
Enable ICS on your reliance connection.
Mention your OS for step by step configuration.
Thanx.

my OS is windows XP Sp3...does the laptop also need the same OS? it currently has XP Sp2.

cisco_tech said:
Doesn't matter. ICS will work on both OS.

thanx for replying. but what exactly is ICS? i am a noob in these matters so i don't know the jargons. also how should i configure the connection? some questions-
1.if i use a dongle how will the network speeds be divided?since i have an 1mbps connection will it be divided into 512kbps each?
2. if i have some downloads(torrents, direct downloads etc) going on in my PC will it affect the browsing speed in my laptop at the same time?

ICS stands for Internet Connection Sharing.

1)Nope. Speed will not be divided. but you can use some bandwidth limited software to shape youe requirement on interface. i.e. Netlimter , Traffic Shaper.

2)yes. torrents will affect browsing.

cisco_tech said:
ICS stands for Internet Connection Sharing.
1)Nope. Speed will not be divided. but you can use some bandwidth limited software to shape youe requirement on interface. i.e. Netlimter , Traffic Shaper.
2)yes. torrents will affect browsing.

thanx for the reply....another question- will buying a cheap local or chinese brand Wi Fi dongle work or should i buy something branded?what will be the difference? And how do i setup my connection?

Do not buy some cheap Chinese dongle. Get something from D-link,belkin,or netgear.

I am assuming that you will connect your Reliance connection to your main PC's Network Adapter.

1) Right click on My Network Places > Properties.

2) You shall see an icon for Local Area Connection and Wi-Fi connection.

3) Right click on the Local Area Connection that connects to your Reliance. > select Properties.

4) Click on the Advanced tab.

5) Check the box. Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection and press OK to share your connection through this NIC.
6) You will receive a warning window. Just Click Yes and continue.

7) Now Make sure with checking IP Address. Right click on Local area Connection. > Properties > TCP/IP >

IP : 192.168.0.1

Subnet : 255.255.255.0

cisco_tech said:
Do not buy some cheap Chinese dongle. Get something from D-link,belkin,or netgear.
I am assuming that you will connect your Reliance connection to your main PC's Network Adapter.
1) Right click on My Network Places > Properties.

2) You shall see an icon for Local Area Connection and Wi-Fi connection.

3) Right click on the Local Area Connection that connects to your Reliance. > select Properties.

4) Click on the Advanced tab.

5) Check the box. Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection and press OK to share your connection through this NIC.
6) You will receive a warning window. Just Click Yes and continue.

7) Now Make sure with checking IP Address. Right click on Local area Connection. > Properties > TCP/IP >
IP : 192.168.0.1
Subnet : 255.255.255.0

thanx for the replies...i actually bought a belkin Wireless G router...cost me 1500rs...i connected two of my friends laptop using this...no worries now.

Back