Linux Which is more stable Linux OS between Ubuntu,Mandriva,Opensuse and Fedora

Shanpav12

Disciple
Hello,
I have heard that the latest Ubuntu 9.10 has been found with many bugs, dont no about fedora 12 or Opensuse 11.2 and also Mandriva2010 linux. So plase tell me as i ma a novice and only for some time used Ubuntu 9.04 through Wubi install, and not anyo ther linux distro, which among the four is more stable and easy suited for beginers like me.I have ubuntu 9.04 Cd only, so should I use this and not change to latest 9.10 or should i go for fedora,mandriva or opensuse latest.
Please tell me.
Thanks,

And also please tell me is KDE now stable comapre to GNOMe

Well if you are looking for most stable linux then go for Debian or Gentoo. But Gentoo installation is very time consuming as you have to compile the complete OS on your system...anyways Ubuntu is best for new users and I haven't observed a crash in Ubuntu...also Genome is more stable than KDE...but KDE has got eye candy...I prefer KDE ;)

Use Redhat its one of the stable and widely used linux os.
Debian is the biggest linux distribution .ubuntu Is also good they will be out with bugs.i prefer Redhat i run it on vmware.Normally use it to study shell scripting not a poweruser

I have Ubuntu 9.04 and its very stable. Never faced any issues. I have tried Fedora in the past, many times it failed even to install, so never tried it after that.

Always partition the HDD in a way, you can easily change the OS flavor, but never loose your data.

I always keep OS and Data separate, so even if I have reinstall the OS, my data is safe and sound.

For a newbie, definately Linux Mint or Sabayon for what comes out of the box, and how smooth the transition is. It will take some time before you say "oh, my Linux broke, and I don't know what to do!" Sabayon has most of the functionality as Linux Mint, and is a very mature and stable distro, based on Gentoo if I am not mistaken.
As for the more stable of the two, it is Gnome - which can be made to look well too - there are misconceptions that it is a dull and boring DE - case in point, is again, Linux mint. KDE is also great, and a wee bit more user friendly. Have used three of the four distros you listed, and this is where each of them will break:
Ubuntu - the codecs, you cannot play mp3s out of the box, and the interface suffers from strange glitches - not bugs that are predictable, but random glitches that just go a little haywire now and then.
OpenSuse - the package manager is a little buggy, but the one click install is convinient - about half of the time that it actually works. Easier to get codecs installed here - because of a very prominant and easy to follow tutorial, but still does not play anything useful out of the box.
Fedora - Great to start learning some of the advanced stuff right away, but you will have to spend some time with it.
If you want a plain and direct answer, definately go for Linux Mint, you will not be disappointed. It is Ubuntu minus all the quirks and difficulties for noobs (please do not misinterpret the word).

Dark Star said:
Mandriva 2010 pwns Ubuntu 9.10, theres ext4 issue and other in Ubuntu . Haven't tried SUSE and Fedora latest release yet ;)

The ext4 issue has been fixed as it was a critical issue. Not really a filesystem fault, I think it had something to do with applications not using filesystem sync calls appropriately. Fedora has always been a pain for me; while they do ship with latest and greatest software, most packages I've used have been buggy (YMMV).

openSUSE 11.2 looks quite nice, the UI is uniform across GNOME and KDE but I've not used it much.

In terms of stability I think Ubuntu 9.10 should be quite stable, I've been running a system at home without any issues for the past month or so.

GNOME is more widely used than KDE I think. I did use KDE for a while, I suppose it is quite stable now. You should try both and decide for yourself.

if your purpose for linux is to use it as some server and need rock solid srability.

I recommend for going for CentOS 5.x it's enterprise level of distro and it's free.

if your purpose if for linux os to use as desktop os then go for Fedora.

Hope that helps :)

Shanpav12 said:
Hello,
I have heard that the latest Ubuntu 9.10 has been found with many bugs, dont no about fedora 12 or Opensuse 11.2 and also Mandriva2010 linux. So plase tell me as i ma a novice and only for some time used Ubuntu 9.04 through Wubi install, and not anyo ther linux distro, which among the four is more stable and easy suited for beginers like me.I have ubuntu 9.04 Cd only, so should I use this and not change to latest 9.10 or should i go for fedora,mandriva or opensuse latest.
Please tell me.
Thanks,

I would advise you to check out the issues in any of the distros and check if they hamper you. If they don't then you can use them. I am using 9.04 and am quite comfy with it. I hardly change my os every release.

+LT

Dark Star said:
Mandriva 2010 pwns Ubuntu 9.10, theres ext4 issue and other in Ubuntu . Haven't tried SUSE and Fedora latest release yet ;)

and his ubuntu hate continues
Am using 9.10 x86-64 .
yet to face any problems .
and ext4 is fast .
I am getting 1.5 times the HD performance here .

I'm using Fedora 12 and haven't faced any issues so far! I like the rpm based systems more, but that's just me.

If you're looking for stability, go with Debian or Fedora. Just know that Debian has a very long release cycle. Ubuntu is made out of the unstable releases of Debian

karan812 said:
I'm using Fedora 12 and haven't faced any issues so far! I like the rpm based systems more, but that's just me.

If you're looking for stability, go with Debian or Fedora. Just know that Debian has a very long release cycle. Ubuntu is made out of the unstable releases of Debian

Yep , and what is fedora based on ?

Fedora has more bleeding edge software than ubuntu .

viridian said:
The ext4 issue has been fixed as it was a critical issue. Not really a filesystem fault, I think it had something to do with applications not using filesystem sync calls appropriately.

The bug is still open.....https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/453579

viridian said:
In terms of stability I think Ubuntu 9.10 should be quite stable, I've been running a system at home without any issues for the past month or so.
9.04 was rock stable for me, will be removing kubuntu 9.10 this week and installing ubuntu 9.10

viridian said:
GNOME is more widely used than KDE I think. I did use KDE for a while, I suppose it is quite stable now. You should try both and decide for yourself.

GNOME is dead stable hands down :p Using KDE 4.3.3 atm still lots of bugs, well i guess bugs are natural as KDE is too much innovative compared to GNOME. You pay some price.

Stability is a relative term.

But if its above an absolute threshold level, it does not matter how high it is.

All of the distros: Ubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSuSE and Fedora are stable enough as well as simple enough for use by the non-geek public.

Before I suggest the distro to choose I need to know if you have had any previous experience with linux, your technical level and intended co-users.

If you have studied college-linux or used work-linux (almost always Red Hat) then go for only Mandriva, OpenSuSE or Fedora, the RPM based distros. Will be a lot easier.

If you have used Debian in college or work (rarer but known) go with ubuntu.

If you are a guy who is very comfortable with Micro$oft Window$ Vi$ta or 7, you will love SuSE. Also consider Linux Mint then.

If you want to use a less common but extremely eye-pleasing OS, go for Mandriva.

Ubuntu is the way to go if you want a mainstream newbie oriented linux distro which has lots and lots of free technical support (unofficial obviously) available.

But Fedora is the ONLY distro I suggest using if you intend to graduate to a Linux Geek. It has advanced features which keep users hooked to it even after learning linux internals. This is the best option for Power Users IMO. Ubuntu on the other hand bores you within 1 year if you are the geeky type.

One should easily ditch openSUSE out of the comparison. Heck, it's very bloaty and slow.

Ubuntu and Fedora are the most widely used distributions. Ubuntu is newbie friendly whereas Fedora is more developer oriented. I actually prefer the latter for my LAMP.

I had been using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala since the day it was launched and I've just shifted to Mandriva 2010 only about 10 days ago as I was kinda bored using Ubuntu as my default OS for years. I'm kinda surprised that many people found Ubuntu 9.10 to be buggy compared to 9.04, infact it ran on my laptop without any problems for the past 2 months.

Regarding Mandriva, I'm liking it as I've found it a very nice out-of-the-box-easy-to-maintain-without-internet distribution.

Newbies can start with Linux Mint 8 Helena. It is basically, Ubuntu + codecs. Sabayon 5 is a disappointment and it is giving problems to many users. It freezes randomly in my friend's desktop.

Those who prefer a simple, self-configured desktop with no 'kachra', can always try out Arch linux. It's like Gentoo, but you don't have to sit and compile all the time. Pacman, Arch's package manager is one of the best I've used. Installing Arch is a very good experience and one successful Arch install CLEARS your all the basic doubts regarding linux.

Regarding, GNOME and KDE. I've found myself to be able to use KDE only on Mandriva and Arch. Otherwise, I prefer GNOME.

btw, the only distribution that is synonymous to stability for me is Debian. But like MHG said, all the above distros (except openSUSE) are stable enough for a normal user.

Over the last 10+ years, I've been coming back to SuSE/openSuse for some reason... but that's because I'm used to it, I guess or suites my taste

Try all the distros and choose which one suites you... Thats the freedom of Linux

Back