Best Inverter AC in India? Edit: Bought Sharp AH-XP18MV (AC discontinued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as the inverter AC basically the compressor never shuts down, it tries to adjust the ambient temperature and so there is no start / stop like the regular ACs.
Below a certain threshold the compressor does shut off. The compressor can only go so low before it stalls. For the AH-XP18MV I think I had read somewhere that when it happens power drops below 300W. Right now its starting/stopping like a regular AC albeit a low capacity model.

Maybe you guys should mention your ambient temperatures to put things into perspective. Like Rishi forgot to mention his ambient temperatures were already 29C, hence setting an AC temperature to 29C doesn't start up the compressor.

The previous month and May month difference was 103 units with 2 ac's on.
And in a later post he says that a crompton fan was running too before the AC, so that makes the difference even lesser. Suppose the fan took 10 units a month, it means both ac's take just 93 units with 20 hr's operation a day.
Just calculate that!

@Crazy_Eddy, he was running the AC in summer, when night temps hover around 32 even in Mumbai. I know he does not stay in Mumbai, but even if temp was above 29° (setting of AC) the AC will be on to maintain that temp. Inverter ac's usually don't switch off, since their main usp is to save money while being in operation continuously.
Let him post the no of units consumed in June then we will know whether his meter is spoilt or AC really takes so less power even with cooling and heating cycle and heat loss etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The previous month and May month difference was 103 units with 2 ac's on.
And in a later post he says that a crompton fan was running too before the AC, so that makes the difference even lesser.
He stopped using the fan when he switched over to the AC, so since the load for everything else excluding the AC has gone down, the AC consumption figures are more than he earlier estimated. He said the fan uses 160W. With say 24 x 7 operation, its about 115 units a month. So a total of about ~200 units for the 2 ACs.

Inverter ac's usually don't switch off, since their main usp is to save money while being in operation continuously.
Actually they do turn off at very low loads. Inverter A/Cs have a wide range of operation, but there is still a minimum limit. Sharp specs for the AH-XP18MV say, Running current Cool : 7.0 (1.5-9.2) A. 7.0A is at the rated capacity, 1.5A is the minimum capacity, 9.2A is when the compressor runs over spec. Assuming they're using a 200V rating, it means the minimum limit is 200 x 1.5 = 300W. There's a real-time power indicator on the Sharp unit, so anytime it says its below 300W (actually should be ~400W since there's the Fan and the Ioniser as well), it means the compressor isn't running.

I think maybe his meter isn't off, its just that his cooling load was really low if the AC wasn't even able to stay within the low end of the cooling range.

^the compressor does switch off & power consumption is shown 0.1KW when it stops
Delhi temps should be pretty hot. What sort of bills have you got?

^ Go a few posts back. He has clearly mentioned 103 units for two ac's and come to a conclusion that each AC averages around 60 units a month.

And how can load for everything go down? I've noticed that the fridge will run longer in summer than winter or rainy season to maintain cooling inside fridge. Atleast fridge should increase its usage in may month right?

Yeah later he said :
EDIT: Oh my God!!! I just forgot to mention there was a Crompton Greaves "Windstar Farrata" pedestal fan of 500mm sweep that was running almost all the time last year and is packed up this year due to the installation of new ACs. This fan used to consume 160 watts. Also the ceiling fans of both rooms remains nonoperational while the AC's is on. So the difference between last year and this year is not 103 units as mentioned before, it is actually much higher.

Fridges are usually well insulated so ambient temperatures should have a minimal impact on energy usage. And to keep things simple we ignore the variances.

Guys looking at this thread do assess service response in your area. Service department of sharp in Delhi is outsourced to local vendors who don't know about AC.

My AH-XP18MV has started water leakage on indoor unit. On complaint 2 idiots came, who were more in hurry to leave and also to persuade me to get my other ACs serviced from them. After few days a lady called to confirm if complaint was handled. When I told her that it was not satisfactory, she replied "that's ok,.. but the complaint has been handled.. isn't it" And on my affirmative reply, she cut the phone.

Seems like I have done a mistake picking up sharp. Any point of escalation?

Thanks everyone , I got 2 sharp inverters (1 and 0.8 T LV models) and one Onida 1.5T. Just tested them today and they'll seem great.. just a Q with sharp.. i was not able to see Wattage consumption, how do i switch that on?

An update!!!

I live in a two room flat, both rooms having AH-XP18MV. Since December 2012 the 18MV's are performing flawlessly. No issues still now.

Both ACs run a 28 ~ 29 degree centigrade since they are somewhat bigger for the rooms. Running then at 26 ~ 27 degree centigrade are rare as air circulation is pretty high, so at daytime it generally remains 28 degrees and at night with AC set to 29 degrees we fill very comfortable. Maybe be coz the set temperature is high, the compressor might be running next to nothing thus consuming very less power. Last year in Calcutta the summers are much cooler than the year before. The ACs does not run all day and night, frankly we do not follow any pattern. In summer months it stays on from 8 pm to 6 am for both rooms. During daytime when we feel the heat, we run the ACs.

Other than that I have a TV, a fridge, a convection microwave, an automatic washing machine, a water heater, a desktop (12hrs X 7), laptop, four ceiling fans, one pedestal fan,….. etc

Mar, 2013 -> 217 Units -> INR 1,330
Apr, 2013 -> 254 Units -> INR 1,120
May, 2013 -> 312 Units -> INR 2,150
Jun, 2013 -> 218 Units -> INR 1,330
Jul, 2013 -> 245 Units -> INR 1,510
Aug, 2013 -> 250 Units -> INR 1,520
Sep, 2013 -> 254 Units -> INR 1,550
Oct, 2013 -> 272 Units -> INR 2,150
Nov, 2013 -> 163 Units -> INR 970
Dec, 2013 -> 130 Units -> INR 750

Plz don’t ask me to post all the electricity bills and state in details how many hours I use every month or to check my electric connection as it may be faulty. I have my electric connection renewed for higher capacity after I got both ACs with new electric meter.

I have no intention to do further investigation, have no time and it is upto the reader to believe or not.

Thank you.

Last edited:
An update!!!

I live in a two room flat. Both rooms have AH-XP18MV since March 2013 are performing flawlessly & seamlessly. Mind you both ACs run a 28 ~ 29 degree centigrade since they are somewhat bigger for the rooms. Air circulation is pretty high, so at daytime it is 28 degrees and in night with AC set to 29 degrees one will be very comfortable. Maybe be coz the set temperature is high so the compressor is running next to nothing thus consuming very less. This year in Kolkata the summers are much cooler than last year. The ACs does not run all day and night, frankly we do not follow any pattern. In summer months it stays on from 8 pm to 6 am. During daytime when we feel it the need we put it ON.

Other than that I have a TV, a fridge, a convection microwave, an automatic washing machine, a desktop (12hrs X 7), laptop, four ceiling fans, one pedestal fan,….. etc

Plz don’t ask me to post all the electricity bills and state in details how many hours I use in every month or to check my electric connection as it may be faulty. I have my electric connection renewed for higher capacity after I got both ACs with new electric meter.

I have no intention to do further investigation, have no time and it is upto the reader to believe or not.

Thank you.
Guess you wouldn't be using water heater in summer as well? Also 29• seriously.. Is it even comfortable?

Guess you wouldn't be using water heater in summer as well?

Water heater is used only during winter months.

Also 29• seriously.. Is it even comfortable?

It is very comfortable at night at 29 °C. Careful placement of an IDU unit regarding your needs can help you to run it at higher temperatures. Remember we buy ACs to feel comfortable in our rooms during summer months. We do not buy to uniformly cool our rooms at a set temperature like in cold storage. As our ODU’s are positioned to throw direct cool air to the bed with the indoor fan at full blast air circulation and direct throw of cool air to the person on bed is very high.

I said many a times before our ACs are somewhat bigger for our rooms. Also the Sharp AH-XP18MV, a 1.5 Ton Inverter air conditioner have a much bigger skew fan which results in higher indoor airflow leading to a further feeling of cooling in human beings compared to its 1.1 Ton Inverter. The 1.1 Ton has a max indoor airflow of 10.9 CMM while their 1.5 Ton does a max of 16.8 CMM. With the 1.5 Ton capable to produce 54% more indoor airflow the room cools faster and humidity falls rapidly which produces the rapid sensation of cooling in human beings.

And even now if you keep it at a high indoor temperature of 29 °C the people inside the room on the bed will feel comfortable due to the high airflow rate. In fact my parent’s switch off the AC at midnight running at 29 °C as they feel cold and turn on the fan. For the same room a 1.1 Ton Inverter AC needs to run at 27 °C to produce the same amount of comfort level due to its reduced airflow capacity thus increasing the compressor load thus consuming more power.

We do not buy to uniformly cool our rooms at a set temperature like in cold storage. As our ODU’s are positioned to throw direct cool air to the bed with the indoor fan at full blast air circulation and direct throw of cool air to the person on bed is very high.
With the 1.5 Ton capable to produce 54% more indoor airflow the room cools faster and humidity falls rapidly which produces the rapid sensation of cooling in human beings.
That would be an ideal scenario, but once air from the AC hits your bed it doesn't immediately return to the AC and spreads out across the rest of the room. Humidity can be extracted only when air returns to the AC's evap coils. What air from what portion of the room re-enters the AC is anyone's guess, so yes in fact you do end up (almost) uniformly cycling/cooling all the air in the room.

For the same room a 1.1 Ton Inverter AC needs to run at 27 °C to produce the same amount of comfort level due to its reduced airflow capacity thus increasing the compressor load thus consuming more power.
A ceiling fan has a 200+ CMM. I hardly doubt 3 CMM more from your ACs blower fan will influence this. In any case, as mentioned earlier the fan is mainly recirculating your chilled room air not just the AC blower air.

Hi @RishiGuru
I want to buy a Sharp 1.5 Ton Inverter AC....Which model will be the best for 350 sq ft. room with large windows facing east north and is on the second floor.Ceiling is quite high.

I am confused between XP18PHT,PMT X18PET and your model..The 1st 2 have Eco Mode 2 step and Self Cleaning...Are those worth it?

Can you please give me screenshots of Electricity Bill of before and after installing AC? Also bill of Mar 2014.

I live in Kolkata...

Recently one fine Saturday I thought of cleaning one of own AH-XP18MV’s ODU unit. The ODU unit pictured below is situated on my verandah, so it was easy. Though the primary reason was to clean the ODU internals, I was quite excited to have a sneak peek inside it and discover something yet unknown.

After opening the ODU fan grill (held together with four clamps and two screws) the first thing that came to my mind is how big the all-aluminum micro-channel condenser actually is. It is of more or less same height of the ODU and takes up the entire back portion and then curves to the left of the ODU where it ends. I used a new paint brush to gently brush out the dust accumulated in the condenser and it took me few minutes.

ODU Unit with Fan Grill removed

The next thing I noticed is the unique fan blade. Sharp uses different type of fan blades for their 1.5 ton & 2.0 ton Inverter category as the 18MV & 24MV are having micro-channel condensers which requires a different design in their fan bade. It has only three fins (I have seen many with four) but these three blades are huge, having huge surface area and seems to contain flawlessly smoothened curves at its edges. Sharp claims these fan blades are made with design consideration as perfected by NASA which I initially doubted, but after a closer look it seems to be very scientifically & aerodynamically designed to provide high flow velocity with minimal torque required by the motor. The fan blade seems to be made from some kind of all-weather hard plastic while being feather light which also put’s less strain on the motor and saves energy.

The entire fan blade and motor assembly is mounted to an aluminum ladder type frame

Unquie desgn of the Fan Blades

The fan motor seems to be made in Japan. At least the initials on the DC motor seem to be Japanese but I could be wrong as they may be Chinese too. Please correct me if I am wrong!!! The shell of the DC motor is all-plastic and seems small for a fan blade of this size. The entire fan blade and motor assembly is mounted to an aluminum ladder type frame and mounted centrally in front of the condenser.

ODU Fan DC Motor

Japanese encryption it seems!!!

Next thing to discover was the Digital Micro-computer Module i.e the brain of the Inverter AC which is situated on the upper right corner of the ODU and above the compressor chamber. Though the circuit boards and its components are sealed inside a box to avoid dust, one can see the protruding heatsink fins (all six of them) having different height to get maximum air flow from the fan relative to its position. Quite a clever heatsink fin design. There are many heat sensors on different locations of the condenser that I can visually locate which constantly monitors and sends the information to the micro-computer.

The heatsink of the Micro-Computer Module

The entire compressor chamber is much smaller than what I thought it to be for a 1.5 tonner. It is completely insulated with an acoustic jacket to eliminate noise. No wonder why my 18MV’s are so quit. Unfortunately with the tightly packaged compressor section and its complete insulation stopped me to have a look at the compressor itself and its make. Though I am informed the 18MV’s have MHI compressor which are the best there is.

The entire compressor and its ancillaries tightly packaged in an acoustic chamber

Finally I find the entire ODU to be very well built, no rough edges where every component is rightly placed to its allocated position to perform its job. It even have fine touches like a thick plastic cover to protect the copper valves where the pipes get connected to the ODU (sadly absent on the India made ODU’s), In other words a very well engineered product.

After Cleaning

Hope my AH-XP18MV’s last for ages.

MARCH 2014 bill would be great, also where do you stay exactly? those bills are ridiculous unles you are blessed with a state electricity board and ancient billing rates/software

An update!!!

I live in a two room flat, both rooms having AH-XP18MV. Since December 2012 the 18MV's are performing flawlessly. No issues still now.

Both ACs run a 28 ~ 29 degree centigrade since they are somewhat bigger for the rooms. Running then at 26 ~ 27 degree centigrade are rare as air circulation is pretty high, so at daytime it generally remains 28 degrees and at night with AC set to 29 degrees we fill very comfortable. Maybe be coz the set temperature is high, the compressor might be running next to nothing thus consuming very less power. Last year in Calcutta the summers are much cooler than the year before. The ACs does not run all day and night, frankly we do not follow any pattern. In summer months it stays on from 8 pm to 6 am for both rooms. During daytime when we feel the heat, we run the ACs.

Other than that I have a TV, a fridge, a convection microwave, an automatic washing machine, a water heater, a desktop (12hrs X 7), laptop, four ceiling fans, one pedestal fan,….. etc

Plz don’t ask me to post all the electricity bills and state in details how many hours I use every month or to check my electric connection as it may be faulty. I have my electric connection renewed for higher capacity after I got both ACs with new electric meter.

Thank you.

MARCH 2014 bill would be great, also where do you stay exactly? those bills are ridiculous unles you are blessed with a state electricity board and ancient billing rates/software
Yes I think from his bills it looks as if the AC is never operated :) Even if we think that the AC consumes .5 units per hour (I know too low) but say per day 10 hours is 5 units and for 2 rooms it should be 10 units now there are 30 days a month so 300 units just for the AC at the lowest settings. Even if he claims it runs that the bare minimum levels which is 300 watts / hour it would be 6 units a day or 180 just for the 2 ACs. So I would take these figures with a bag full of salt ;) because I am not sure how any inverter AC can give such low figures. Inverter AC companies themselves claim around 20% or in best cases 30-40% savings. So if a regular AC consumes around 1.5 units then inverter AC a person should expect average .9-1.2 units / hour. This is way beyond what companies claim/

That would be an ideal scenario, but once air from the AC hits your bed it doesn't immediately return to the AC and spreads out across the rest of the room. Humidity can be extracted only when air returns to the AC's evap coils. What air from what portion of the room re-enters the AC is anyone's guess, so yes in fact you do end up (almost) uniformly cycling/cooling all the air in the room.

Yeah that’s true.

Also the Sharp AH-XP18MV, a 1.5 Ton Inverter air conditioner have a much bigger skew fan which results in higher indoor airflow leading to a further feeling of cooling in human beings compared to its 1.1 Ton Inverter. The 1.1 Ton has a max indoor airflow of 10.9 CMM while their 1.5 Ton does a max of 16.8 CMM. With the 1.5 Ton capable to produce 54% more indoor airflow the room cools faster and humidity falls rapidly which produces the rapid sensation of cooling in human beings. And even now if you keep it at a high indoor temperature of 29 °C the people inside the room on the bed will feel comfortable due to the high airflow rate. In fact my parent’s switch off the AC at midnight running at 29 °C as they feel cold and turn on the fan. For the same room a 1.1 Ton Inverter AC needs to run at 27 °C to produce the same amount of comfort level due to its reduced airflow capacity thus increasing the compressor load thus consuming more power.

A ceiling fan has a 200+ CMM. I hardly doubt 3 CMM more from your ACs blower fan will influence this. In any case, as mentioned earlier the fan is mainly recirculating your chilled room air not just the AC blower air.

Well I had personally experienced & felt the difference in cooling sensation when two Inverter ACs of different capacity were run at night on identical temperature. One of my family relatives after experiencing my Sharp’s ended up buying two of them last year. He has AH-XP13LV (1.1 Ton) for the smaller room & AH-XP18MV (1.5 Ton) for the bigger room.

So after installation of both the ACs we ran both them at night for an hour at 29 degrees on the month of May, and say what we felt extremely comfortable sitting just below the 18MV, where as the with the 13LV it was plain uneasy on the same position. Only when we set the 13LV to 28 degrees we started to feel comfortable. It made us realize the bigger size of the skew fan in the 18MV is pushing 6 CMM more volume of air directly over our body which made us equally comfortable even when the temperature was set 1 degree higher over 13LV.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back