Which android smartphone to get from US - 15 to 20k

akj_1989

Disciple
Hi Guys!

I'm going to the US in Jan end..
Right now I'm using Motorola Atrix 4G, running a CM7 rom. Though it serves my purpose, still thinking of upgrading my mobile phone, (if there's some model available considerably cheaper than here).
As I'm not fully in touch with the most recent models announced, wanted to get your advice on what mobile phone to get.

Here are the requirements:

1. Q: Budget?
A: 15-20k, can stretch upto 25k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: 4.3+ inches, though I find Large screen like Note too bulky for a phone.
TFT/LCD, Amoled preferred

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: None I can think of now.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 8MP camera. Flash. 13 MP will be better if I can get in the price range.
Dual camera required

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 4.0+, with a good community support on xda.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G (GSM). 4G LTE would be a plus, but I guess it's not going to be mainstream in India for a coming few years..

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and casual internet browsing.
Playing android games(heavy/casual)

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim.
Should have a micro-sd slot. HDMI output also preferred as I'm used to it.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Don't have any specific model in mind. Was thinking of getting some device with krait/exynos dual/quad core (Preferably 28/32nm). Other recommendations are also welcome.
Can stretch the budget a bit (around 25k) to accomodate good camera/processor. But focus is to find a good deal.

Help me out guys with your recommendations and advice.

Thanks!

Basically getting a locked device (on the cheap) then fiddling to unlock it is illegal (in most cases) without the service providers ascent.

how can he buy a locked phone in the first place to unlock it later? one would need to provide ssn or phone number of the service provider to buy right? on a short visit this would not be possible.

Sorry guys couldn't catch up... Arrived here yesterday, was having jetlag.. :yawn:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. :) Please find my comments below.

Google Nexus4.

Yeah, that's one hell of a phone, even considering the price..
But, I feel 16GB is much too less.. Presently I'm using 16GB+32GB on my moto Atrix.. That's the only thing that stops me from getting it..

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go mate.

Unlocking Phones Without Carrier Permission Now Illegal - Bonnie Cha - Mobile - AllThingsD.

Basically getting a locked device (on the cheap) then fiddling to unlock it is illegal (in most cases) without the service providers ascent.

Ohh..I got my Atrix the same way..didn't know about this latest development.. Will be careful, thanks!

Went through the link,
"The practice of unlocking cellphones without carrier permission so you can use a device with another network will be illegal starting on Jan. 26.
The new law, which applies to devices purchased after today,"

So I guess we can still get a 2nd hand locked device and fiddle with it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Are you going to get the phone shipped to India or anyone is bringing the phone? As shipping charges will be huge to get the phone from US.
I'm going to bring it with me when I come back..
Otherwise the shipping charges come out to be around 1.5k (1 yr back I got my Atrix shipped)

Yes, as per US new law, you can't get it unlocked in US without Co. permission, but you can certainly bring that phone to India and get it unlocked.

So have you finally decided how to buy the phone in US, Pls tell ?

It is illegal in US to unlock it. Not in India though.

Kind of contrived to explain how you got a US Carrier locked smartphone on yourself to the 'Carrier'.

Also where will you get the unlock code from? eBay has shut down a lot of such vendors who were retailing those.

Back