Which 1 Ton Inverter AC - LG or Sharp? EDIT: Bought Sharp AH-XP13LV

@RishiGuru...need your expert advice. I am torn between a LG 1 ton BS-Q12GD8R4 and a Sharp 1.1 ton Sharp AH-XP13LV. The dealer is quoting 36K for LG and 33K for the Sharp with 1700 as installation charges. I know that the compressor technology of the Sharp is older while the LG is a newer one which should help it to be more efficient. My question is is the new technology worth the extra 3K if the cooling and/or power consumption remains the same. I have read the brochures of both and the EER of the LG is at 3.47 while the EER of the Sharp is at 3.67. While the figures are staring at me in the face what worries me is if I getting good value for money? Also is the question of Sharp A.S.S. All other stuff like the fridge, TV and washing machine at my home is LG and we've never ever had any issue with it. So, I'm swaying for the LG a little more than the Sharp. But when I look at the 3K price difference and the EER- I don't know what to choose. Please advise. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@RishiGuru...need your expert advice.
I am no expert, but will try to help you out.

I am torn between a LG 1 ton BS-Q12GD8R4 and a Sharp 1.1 ton Sharp AH-XP13LV. The dealer is quoting 36K for LG and 33K for the Sharp with 1700 as installation charges.
First I don’t know LG has a 1 Ton Inverter model named BS-Q12GD8R4. But there is a LG BS-Q12B8R4 model which matches your said EER. So I am considering this unit from hence onwards.

I know that the compressor technology of the Sharp is older while the LG is a newer one which should help it to be more efficient.
On the contrary it is just the opposite for the two models you are comparing.

My question is is the new technology worth the extra 3K if the cooling and/or power consumption remains the same. I have read the brochures of both and the EER of the LG is at 3.47 while the EER of the Sharp is at 3.67.
Let’s have a look at the Sharp and LG specification:

LG BS-Q12B8R4

Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.83 - 3.4 - 4)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (2,821 - 11,600 – 13,780)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.24 – 0.97 - 1.14)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.4 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 980 watts
Rated EER (W/W): 3.47
Max Outdoor Operating Temparature: 46 °C
Refrigerant Gas: R410A
IDU Weight: 9.5 kg
ODU Weight: 24 kg

Sharp AH-XP13LV

Cooling Capacity Range [kW]: (0.8 - 3.67 - 4.20)
Cooling Capacity Range [BTU/Hr]: (2,732 - 12,531 - 14,341)
Cooling Capacity Range [Ton]: (0.23 - 1.04 - 1.20)
Rated Cooling Capacity: 3.67 kW
Rated Power Consumption: 1010 watts
Rated EER (W/W): 3.63
Max Outdoor Operating Temparature: 46 °C
Refrigerant Gas: R410A
IDU Weight: 9 kg
ODU Weight: 28.5 kg

It seems the Sharp have an upper hand in every single department in terms of cooling capacity to LG model be it minimum, rated or maximum cooling capacities. The Sharp will provide you a more powerful cooling under rated condition while maxing out to a 1.2 Ton. The LG can do a max of 1.14 Ton. The Sharp also wins in having an even lower minimum cooling capacity ceiling of 0.23 Ton thus consuming slightly less energy when the set temperature is achieved while the LG can do the best of 0.24 Ton.

And even though the Sharp is more powerful than this LG, it consumes nearly equal energy, thus reflecting a higher cooling performance having an EER of 3.63 while the LG can do a best of EER of 3.47. With LG Inverter having lower performance capabilities while costing INR 3K more, the Sharp model is in a win-win situation.

My question is is the new technology worth the extra 3K if the cooling and/or power consumption remains the same. I have read the brochures of both and the EER of the LG is at 3.47 while the EER of the Sharp is at 3.67.
If both used to cost the same I would have told you to pick the one you like since you are swaying for LG, but that being not the case Sharp wins hands down in terms of better cooling capacity as well as better cooling performance.

While the figures are staring at me in the face what worries me is if I getting good value for money?
Sharp Inverter air conditioners are the kings of VFM. That is the reason why I bought it first place.

Also is the question of Sharp A.S.S. All other stuff like the fridge, TV and washing machine at my home is LG and we've never ever had any issue with it. So, I'm swaying for the LG a little more than the Sharp. But when I look at the 3K price difference and the EER- I don't know what to choose. Please advise. Thanks
ASS is very important. If Sharp have good ASS in your locality, gun for Sharp AH-XP13LV eyes closed. If not then LG.

At the end of the day you will be happy with any one of the two air conditioners. But comparing between the two the Sharp model is definitely superior and hence the winner.

Hope it helps.:)

It absolutely helps but I don't know why this has suddenly become a standalone thread! :)
By new compressor technology, I meant the ODU. From what I've read the Sharp has the old type copper-aluminum type of compressor whereas the LG has the all aluminum type of ODU. In terms of longevity of the unit, wouldn't this be a factor? After reading your post, I'm at about 93% for Sharp. Just this one single doubt in my head.

I don't know why this has suddenly become a standalone thread! :)
Same this side.:)

Every time someone posts on my thread I try to reply time permitting.

Bang!!!

Next morning a new thread. :D

I am clueless and maybe the moderators can help us out.

By new compressor technology, I meant the ODU. From what I've read the Sharp has the old type copper-aluminum type of compressor whereas the LG has the all aluminum type of ODU. In terms of longevity of the unit, wouldn't this be a factor?
I think you are trying to mean the condenser unit of ODU and not the compressor. Well if LG implements all-aluminium condenser on their 1 ton units that's a plus for LG over Sharp.

But at the end of the day, it is the overall performance you look after and wrt to that point of view as said before Sharp has the upper hand. The copper aluminium condensers have been their for ages, and in Kolkata irrespective of physical damage they will last over a decade.

After reading your post, I'm at about 93% for Sharp. Just this one single doubt in my head.

If I were you, I would have definitely gone for Sharp being INR 3K cheaper while providing superior performance.

Best of luck and kindly post some pics what ever you go for with personal comments.:)

Would be helpful for all of us.

Well, the deal was further sweetened. I got the Sharp for 31K so just couldn't refuse it and got the Sharp. :)
It will be delivered tomorrow and the installation will be completed sometime on the weekend. I will keep this thread updated with photos once the unit is delivered and the installation done. @RishiGuru, any precautions or particular items to look out for when getting the AC installed?

[OT]

Every time someone posts on my thread I try to reply time permitting.
Bang!!!
Next morning a new thread. :D
I am clueless and maybe the moderators can help us out.
Actually separate threads for separate queries is always the right way to post in a forum :)
A single thread for everything would be like asking for Intel CPU advice in an AMD thread since they're both processors ;) Plus, as you have experienced, when threads get long people stop reading earlier pages altogether.

[/OT]

I stay at a suburb in Mumbai called Dombivali. I bought it from the electronics chain called Vijay Sales over here. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks it definitely helped. I am also from Mumbai but Vijay sales here in my area (Sion) quotes 34k. Finally got it through a small time dealer for 31k.

Congrats on the purchase! Strange, that Vijay Sales would quote different price in different areas. Good news for you is, the Sharp ASS office is located near the Dharavi area. They will call you regarding installation. Pretty prompt guys. :)

Yes they were prompt in calling but the installation guys were not trained properly. But the boys were co-operative. So I had to guide them during course of installation and in the end end they did a fair job. My experience in installation of two previous Ac's came handy. I wanted to get this AC installed by my regular guy but he dealer said that the company will create trouble in honoring warranty if you get it done yourself.

I stay at a suburb in Mumbai called Dombivali. I bought it from the electronics chain called Vijay Sales over here. Hope this helps! :)
In chennai the cheapest quote i have got for 1.1 ton Sharp LV model is Rs. 34,500 including installation and single boost stabilizer - anyone with lesser quotes do let me know

By Mumbai standards, 34500/- quote is very good. Take my example: i paid 31k for AC, Rs. 1500/- for installation; Rs. 750/- for the installation bracket;that makes it 33250/-. The stabilizer will be at least worth 2-3k.

In chennai the cheapest quote i have got for 1.1 ton Sharp LV model is Rs. 34,500 including installation and single boost stabilizer - anyone with lesser quotes do let me know
Personally, I think that is a very good quote. Ensure that stabilizer is a good quality, branded one.

I live in Chennai too... can you point me to a few places? I checked in OMR area and none have Sharp. Someone suggested Rathna Fan House in T. Nagar, yet to check it out. Their website doesn't have any Sharp ACs listed though.

Hey buddy, I am also from dombivli. Planning to get the same AC in the next 2 months. I hope you got it from Vijay sales near Gharda circle. If it won't be a problem, I would consult you personally before buying. :)

Hey buddy, I am also from dombivli. Planning to get the same AC in the next 2 months. I hope you got it from Vijay sales near Gharda circle. If it won't be a problem, I would consult you personally before buying.
Yup..same place. However, I doubt you'll get it at the same price. My brother just went to them a couple of weeks back and they were not ready to budge down from 33K. :(

Back